Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny isn't it. The disconnect between reality and fantasy on this discussion board seems to be quite strong. As active fans we have to ask the club why they failed to get what they wanted and demand a better showing. Silvangi has done well over all but the club failed to attract 4 out of 5 players we wanted. Not good enough.

Marchbank & Pickett last year were good gets especially for what we paid. This year so far we have Kennedy and trade week hasn't even started? Get two young players, a role player and another 5-6 good draft picks would be a very successful period. SOS simply won't overpay and when we start climbing up the ladder watch the "big fish" start to land and see us a real destination club. Our biggest improvement will always be through the draft

Patience. I certainly don't want to be bringing in players just for the sake of trading and I'm not sure we have missed anyone we desperately want anyway

Kennedy it appears was the no 1 target which we got. Kennedy plus pick 3 are two mids added this year of some quality. Relax its still a good trade n draft period

I'd guess that Kelly was #1, Hopper was #2 and Kennedy was #3 but in terms of being genuinely gettable it was Kennedy likely, Hopper possible, Kelly a chance.

Hopper and Kelly are apparently best mates according to their manager so who knows, maybe they'll both be joining Matt, Jarrod, Caleb and Lachie in a couple of years time.

Marchbank & Pickett last year were good gets especially for what we paid. This year so far we have Kennedy and trade week hasn't even started? Get two young players, a role player and another 5-6 good draft picks would be a very successful period. SOS simply won't overpay and when we start climbing up the ladder watch the "big fish" start to land and see us a real destination club. Our biggest improvement will always be through the draft

Patience. I certainly don't want to be bringing in players just for the sake of trading and I'm not sure we have missed anyone we desperately want anyway
Exactly we shouldn't be trading just for the sake of it. Also I think we did well with our later picks last year and just hope SOS backs himself in and takes plenty of picks to the draft to try and find that diamond in the rough rather then just take depth players from other sides.

The trouble we could run into next year though is if Murphy, Kruezer, Gibbs start declining, Doc starts getting a defensive forward on him, tweaks in game style or injuries ect then we could easily go backwards again next year. With Kennedy coming in it would be fair to presume that again we would only have one pick inside 36 at the draft.
That's where we get ourselves in huge trouble. FA's and young talent will have zero interest in us and that's when we will have to start to overpay otherwise we are heading into Melbourne territory. Next year I think will tell the story.

We've also brought in Weitering, Curnow, Cuningham, SPS, Williamson, Fisher and McKay over the past 2 years.

The draft is still the best way to bring in new players.

100% this.
Build from the ground up, and we will get better and better.
We're still 2/3 through our rebuild, and with a supremely talented draft to come next year.
We're heading in the right direction for sure.

True, although he's seen as a smokey to be top 3 more than actually rated there. Similar to Stephenson imo.
100% this.
Build from the ground up, and we will get better and better.
We're still 2/3 through our rebuild, and with a supremely talented draft to come next year.
We're heading in the right direction for sure.

As nice as it would have been to get Kelly and/or Rockliff, it's true the draft is probably best. C Curnow is probably going to be better than any player we could have got this off-season, you just have to wait a little while for the draft picks to come good.. Which isn't as exciting as a million dollar contract for a superstar, but is probably the smarter solution.

Which players did we 'want' and could you show me where the Club has publicly stated that we 'wanted' 5 players.
Which players did we 'want' and could you show me where the Club has publicly stated that we 'wanted' 5 players.

Kennedy - Secured
Smith - McKay: "We've got some work to do to get Devon Smith and Matt Kennedy."
Rockliffe - Fox Footy’s Jake Niall reported on Tuesday night that Rockliff met with Carlton legends Chris Judd and Stephen Kernahan as well as coach Brendan Bolton.
Kelly - you're telling me we didn't want Kelly?
What a lot of rubbish. Take two bex and have a big lie down. Don't re-surface until the entire draft period is over.

Saad - Saad being the player where the evidence is circumstantial. However "
Carlton yesterday confirmed it would seek more information from Saad, and his manager, John Meesen from i50, about his intentions for 2018.

“Obviously we would be interested in talking,” Carlton football manager Andrew McKay said.

I can find a bunch of other quotes and sources but you get the idea.

As for the personal insult - isn't this a discussion board? Or is it a Carlton old boys club? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you, Soapy. I agree that we should never overpay and that overall, as you say, our biggest improvement will be through the draft. Still it bothers me that players don't nominate our club - it doesn't mean we have to trade them in but of course it gives us an advantage to plan and secure them knowing their intentions.

Thank you, Soapy. I agree that we should never overpay and that overall, as you say, our biggest improvement will be through the draft. Still it bothers me that players don't nominate our club - it doesn't mean we have to trade them in but of course it gives us an advantage to plan and secure them knowing their intentions.

I’m not concerned one bit. We got Kennedy. Rockliff went for money and possible finals. Not sure we chased Smith that hard and probably forced Essendon to overpay. SOS won’t overpay. I’m sure he will have some other deals cooking as well. Kelly was the only real miss and he stayed. Another year of 8-10 new talented kids and then chase the big guns with the money we have

Funny isn't it. The disconnect between reality and fantasy on this discussion board seems to be quite strong. As active fans we have to ask the club why they failed to get what they wanted and demand a better showing. Silvangi has done well over all but the club failed to attract 4 out of 5 players we wanted. Not good enough.
We're Carlton...

We're not the centre of the universe

Whilst we can call Smith nominating the Dons as a "failure" on Carlton's behalf... whose to say it wasn't a matter of SOS said something like "Devon, we're keen, we see a good mid-fwd role for you, we're willing to go as high as $420k-per for 3 years. What do you think?" and Devon said "no way, man, I can get $600k from the Bombers!" and SOS went "OK, good luck mate".

Showing interest and not securing does not necessarily equate to a failure.

Although it was disappointing to have offers rejected from 3 players in the space of about 24 hours, I've quickly moved on from all of them and honestly with the exception of Kelly (which let's face it was probably never going to happen) I never really was excited about the prospect of any of them.

We will still have cap space next year and the class of Free Agents is potentially a lot better than this years'. Make a huge run at either Lynch or Shiel and hit the draft.

Whilst we can call Smith nominating the Dons as a "failure" on Carlton's behalf... whose to say it wasn't a matter of SOS said something like "Devon, we're keen, we see a good mid-fwd role for you, we're willing to go as high as $420k-per for 3 years. What do you think?" and Devon said "no way, man, I can get $600k from the Bombers!" and SOS went "OK, good luck mate".

Showing interest and not securing does not necessarily equate to a failure.
Gotta love big footy role playing - its like Cosplay for AFL fans

Kennedy - Secured
Smith - McKay: "We've got some work to do to get Devon Smith and Matt Kennedy."
Rockliffe - Fox Footy’s Jake Niall reported on Tuesday night that Rockliff met with Carlton legends Chris Judd and Stephen Kernahan as well as coach Brendan Bolton.
Kelly - you're telling me we didn't want Kelly?

Saad - Saad being the player where the evidence is circumstantial. However "
Carlton yesterday confirmed it would seek more information from Saad, and his manager, John Meesen from i50, about his intentions for 2018.

“Obviously we would be interested in talking,” Carlton football manager Andrew McKay said.

I can find a bunch of other quotes and sources but you get the idea.

As for the personal insult - isn't this a discussion board? Or is it a Carlton old boys club? ;)
Do you know that the trade period hasn't started yet?

We should be speaking to any and every player who is looking for a trade to see if it can work for us, just because we dont 'land' them doesnt mean we failed. I have no doubt we at least spoke with Jake Stringers manager but then quickly decided he wasnt for us. Essendon are a long way from securing any of there targets, Dodoro is useless at the trade table and will no doubt front up offering Courtney Johns & Mark Bolton to the Dogs for Jake Stringer.. The annoying thing is these trades will probably hold up trade week until the last day..

It's looking like 10 and 27 from Adel, passed on by Melb. Then 27 on Kennedy and 10 used in draft. So we get three good young mids. Just my view. No rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back