Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

McLarty shoulder and Shaz was feet when drafted.

Correct. I'd rather us not become a club that overlooks players because of injury history! Fair enough once they're in the system, but come draft time it has to be about their future and not their past.

McLarty shoulder and Shaz was feet when drafted.
Correct. I'd rather us not become a club that overlooks players because of injury history! Fair enough once they're in the system, but come draft time it has to be about their future and not their past.

His combine results are very impressive........the knee doesn't seem to have hampered him at this stage.

Is he a high risk, high reward type?

Who would you boys go for first Balta or Bonar?

His combine results are very impressive........the knee doesn't seem to have hampered him at this stage.

I don't know enough about Bonar's body of work as an U18 other than he seems to be the Stringer/ Burton of this draft so I can't provide a firm answer, but I really like Balta's flexibility as a KPP.

The impression I get is that Bonar is similar to Fogarty in that he's a bit of a mid sized utility. I think we need both types so I'd be content either way.

I'd go for Bonar personally. I know there's a few people here that love Balta, and he certainly appeals in many ways, but the big thing that I keep thinking about is his decision making. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed and sometimes that reflects in his football. I wouldn't be unhappy to draft Balta, but I can just picture in a few years if he becomes a key defender he will become a whipping boy because if said decision making. Better up the ground through the middle.

Bonar for me on exposed form is 20-25 but in a draft that lacks X-factor (exclude Rayner, Johnston, etc.), he could become a top two player if he stays fit. His scope is very, very high and while I think #6 is a huge risk, for me we tend to go into our shells a little and not take those risks that the Dogs (Bont) or Cats (Cockatoo) take. By all means sometimes they don't pay off, but if they do, you're laughing.

I'd go for Bonar personally. I know there's a few people here that love Balta, and he certainly appeals in many ways, but the big thing that I keep thinking about is his decision making. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed and sometimes that reflects in his football. I wouldn't be unhappy to draft Balta, but I can just picture in a few years if he becomes a key defender he will become a whipping boy because if said decision making. Better up the ground through the middle.

Bonar for me on exposed form is 20-25 but in a draft that lacks X-factor (exclude Rayner, Johnston, etc.), he could become a top two player if he stays fit. His scope is very, very high and while I think #6 is a huge risk, for me we tend to go into our shells a little and not take those risks that the Dogs (Bont) or Cats (Cockatoo) take. By all means sometimes they don't pay off, but if they do, you're laughing.

Bonar sounds really exciting Pie 4 Life thanks for that mate. :thumbsu:

Really like some of your feedback and opinions.
The risk one is interesting, we took one with Shaz and whilst it wasn't literally his undoing injury wise I wonder if it had an impact on his knee now that I type this.
We took Dawes after a knee and he turned out fine.
Bont and Cocky are in the same type of risk category as Sier i.e, not injury related.
Given what you've said I'd be happy to take the risk on Bonar on the proviso we've got other things in play re our KPP.

Tom McCartin? He's basically an underager and has some serious physical issues, but seems to put them behind him. I saw he finished top 10 for the yo-yo test, that's impressive for a KPF. 192cms. He could still grow a couple of cms. I don't follow the under 18's enough to know if he's any good. However, he's the brother of Paddy and could be a valued asset when Paddy is deciding where to play in 2019.

Tom McCartin? He's basically an underager and has some serious physical issues, but seems to put them behind him. I saw he finished top 10 for the yo-yo test, that's impressive for a KPF. 192cms. He could still grow a couple of cms. I don't follow the under 18's enough to know if he's any good. However, he's the brother of Paddy and could be a valued asset when Paddy is deciding where to play in 2019.
He is a horrible kick for goal. Terrible technique and often can spray them everywhere. Can take a grab for an under sized KPP, I would say he’s a rookie pick only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather turn McCartin into that tall midfielder than a key forward. Has the endurance and ground level ability to do it, but yeah as a key forward he has a lot of question marks. He'll often have one great quarter and not much else, and yeah, can tend to spray his set shots at times - does all the hard work but does not often finish off his work. I'd pass on him at this stage, not what we need (poor in areas we're already poor and good in areas we have covered).

for me we tend to go into our shells a little and not take those risks that the Dogs (Bont) or Cats (Cockatoo) take. By all means sometimes they don't pay off, but if they do, you're laughing.
I don’t see this at all. McLarty was regarded as a reach last year looking at the draft boards. Sier the year before that. DeGoey was regarded as 10-15 up until a couple of weeks before the draft when it was rumored that we were in to him at 5 (and Geelong were at 10). We were reportedly locked in to taking Bontempelli before the Dogs beat us to the punch. If anything, we reach for players just as, or more often than others.

You'll have to refresh my memory of their knee issues when recruited? The only two I remember with knee problems were Dawes and Wellingham.
Wasn't saying they all had knee injuries. More saying we have a recent history still picking players with injuries at the draft. Injuries overall.

I don’t see this at all. McLarty was regarded as a reach last year looking at the draft boards. Sier the year before that. DeGoey was regarded as 10-15 up until a couple of weeks before the draft when it was rumored that we were in to him at 5 (and Geelong were at 10). We were reportedly locked in to taking Bontempelli before the Dogs beat us to the punch. If anything, we reach for players just as, or more often than others.
No doubt it will come out we are keen on Bonar and Fremantle or North will take him ;)

I think it's different though when you are talking a top 10 pick vs a top 40 pick.

Both Sier and McLarty were picked in the 30's. By that stage, most picks are speculative. We could've gone some safer options, but went 'Bang or Bust' in a sense because the players we selected had upside but not a lot of exposed form.

But otherwise I agree with you. Even going back to Pendlebury, we have always selected guys who weren't necessarily regarded as high as we selected. I think it's worked well.

I think it's different though when you are talking a top 10 pick vs a top 40 pick.

Both Sier and McLarty were picked in the 30's. By that stage, most picks are speculative. We could've gone some safer options, but went 'Bang or Bust' in a sense because the players we selected had upside but not a lot of exposed form.

But otherwise I agree with you. Even going back to Pendlebury, we have always selected guys who weren't necessarily regarded as high as we selected. I think it's worked well.
Disagree that it’s different, there were some pretty highly rated players that had slid in both drafts. Cox as a key defender who ended up in Brisbane was tipped to go from about 20 onwards and we overlooked him and he had a ripping first year for Brisbane. Balic, Collins, Adams, Matheison etc in siers draft year. As a general rule these days a mid second round pick is likely to get you a solid player, but we’ve consistently reached, whether it’s second round or top 10 under the lead of Hine. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. I like that our recruiters back themselves rather than being influenced by external noise.

No doubt it will come out we are keen on Bonar and Fremantle or North will take him ;)
Maybe. I just don’t see us taking Coffield. He seems to be like Laverde in ‘14 to me, not that he’s the same type of player but he’s the one that we’re being linked to externally and the board seems to have a hard on for.

If past form is anything to go by we’ll select a Balta or the like who are expected to go in the teens right now based on their ceiling rather than their consistency over the year. What’s Baltas birthday? If he has a late birthday you can just about guarantee that Hine will have a massive chubby for him.

Maybe. I just don’t see us taking Coffield. He seems to be like Laverde in ‘14 to me, not that he’s the same type of player but he’s the one that we’re being linked to externally and the board seems to have a hard on for.

If past form is anything to go by we’ll select a Balta or the like who are expected to go in the teens right now based on their ceiling rather than their consistency over the year. What’s Baltas birthday? If he has a late birthday you can just about guarantee that Hine will have a massive chubby for him.

October 23rd.

Beat me to it MagpieBat

9436886db854a5a0e58e13d5bc55ff4c--batman-cat-funny-batman.jpg

Bonar sounds really good but projects as a real high risk/high reward selection.

I know that nothing is guaranteed and it might be the conservative in me but I don't think we can take the risk; unless we trade 6 down to two teens picks.

Need to go with a more solid selection like Coffield or a sliding top 5 player. Take risks/project types later in the draft.

Back