News All Hail our new Emperor - Mark Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be a process because there has to be given history. 1. Whether it is genuine is the real question. Unfortunately it's hard to have confidence that it will.

That's as opposed to the 2. Carlton situation where you can be 100% confident there is no process. Whether all the bad PR derails the classic Carlton MO will be interesting to watch. We need to cease our slide toward the old Carlton MO and this CEO appointment is a good test.

1. Agree. But it's unfortunate that the off field stuff is again dominating. Would be great if we had sustained on field success and the off field stuff churned away in the background as it should.

2. Can only hope they implode and degenerate into civil war (with the help of Bruce Mathieson)

What a waste of time for the Egon Zehnder group if the recruitment process is just a facade - they wouldn't come cheap either.
They are not cheap but can't imagine Egon Zehnder would damage their reputation by being involved in a facade. As far as Carlton are concerned let's hope they stuff it up again - on field, off field, everywhere

EFA - So who is correct? Figjam? or Caro? as in Mkcaptain's quote
I knew about this McClements over a month ago (and another bloke too). We've been speaking to plenty of well-credentialed people.

Caro is a poor journalist who literally makes stuff up. She is a total hack.

She literally stated:

" The Collingwood executive search has not even begun."

Not only is this a lie, but it's illogical. Are we waiting for the end of trade week? Christmas??

The difference between Lethlean's name being bandied around and the likes of McClements is that one of them doesn't have a job! We can have a transparent internal process, but it doesn't mean it's not going to be a highly confidential one. It's not a role that you get a recruiter to call out on LinkedIn!

View attachment 425109
Today's Herald Sun ....
Questions: Have we "found" a candidate? Are we "formally interviewing"? - vs "Toorak Latte" chat... Is there a process? Is the Board united in its approach or is there a bit of a tussle between Ed and the "newly empowered Board"? Realise these snr appts require a degree of confidentiality but I'm not overwhelmed by a sense of transparency.

PS If Pert is not at least interviewed by other clubs looking for a CEO that will be telling

Has Pert been applying at other clubs?

I knew about this McClements over a month ago (and another bloke too). We've been speaking to plenty of well-credentialed people. Caro is a poor journalist who literally makes stuff up. She is a total hack. She literally stated:
" The Collingwood executive search has not even begun." Not only is this a lie, but it's illogical. Are we waiting for the end of trade week? Christmas??
The difference between Lethlean's name being bandied around and the likes of McClements is that one of them doesn't have a job! We can have a transparent internal process, but it doesn't mean it's not going to be a highly confidential one. It's not a role that you get a recruiter to call out on LinkedIn!
Thanks for the additional info. Re Caro - not sure why she has the title "Chief Football Writer"-she never writes about football per se - always what should be the peripheral stuff (which unfortunately is seeping more and more into being core business)

Has Pert been applying at other clubs?
I'm assuming he's looking for another job in football (maybe he's training to be a barista?). If he wants another job in football, he'll either be applying directly or waiting to be approached for one of the CEO roles. In this case it will be telling if he doesn't even get approached or interviewed

Last edited:
I'm assuming he's looking for another job in football (maybe he's training to be a barista?). If he wants another job in football, he'll either be applying directly or waiting to be approached for one of the CEO roles. In this case it will be telling if he doesn't even get approached or interviewed
I don't think he'll get another job.
I was told last week "he's just not that good", knows how to talk the talk.
He was another Ed appointee looking after him after sacking him from Channel 9.

They are not cheap but can't imagine Egon Zehnder would damage their reputation by being involved in a facade. As far as Carlton are concerned let's hope they stuff it up again - on field, off field, everywhere

Yeah doubt it would impact their rep but you wouldn't think they'd be pleased about devoting resources to it - although perhaps as long as they get paid they don't really care.

1. He was another Ed appointee looking after him after sacking him from Channel 9.

I thought he came to Cwood from the radio station Austereo?

1. This is a disgraceful way to make senior appts. Maybe the penny has finally dropped with Ed but at a cost to us - Pert allegedly interfering in FD etc. (Walsh must only have come back to Cwood knowing Pert was on the way out?)

Last edited:
I thought he came to Cwood from the radio station Austereo?
After retiring, Pert worked as a chief executive officer (CEO) for various high-profile organizations in Melbourne. He was head of Austereo before taking up a position at the Nine Network TV station in December 2006. But that job did not last long.
In May 2007, he replaced Greg Swann as CEO of Collingwood. On 24 July 2017, Pert resigned from his position as CEO of the club.
This is a disgraceful way to make senior appts.
Yes and with respect I don't really want to re-open that can of worms.
It only serves to invite others back in to re-hash all that has been said and done before.
Maybe the penny has finally dropped with Ed but at a cost to us - Pert allegedly interfering in FD etc. (Walsh must have only have come back to Cwood knowing Pert was on the way out?)
Hopefully and probably.

After retiring, Pert worked as a chief executive officer (CEO) for various high-profile organizations in Melbourne. He was head of Austereo before taking up a position at the Nine Network TV station in December 2006. But that job did not last long.
In May 2007, he replaced Greg Swann as CEO of Collingwood. On 24 July 2017, Pert resigned from his position as CEO of the club.
Yes and with respect I don't really want to re-open that can of worms. It only serves to invite others back in to re-hash all that has been said and done before.
Hopefully and probably.
Had no idea Ed gave Pert the gig at Cwood after Pert was flicked? from Channel 9 - strewth!!- looks like Ed and Pert both left Ch 9 around the same time.
Think I'll take myself off for a (non Toorak) latte

We better run a proper search for this position.
Under no circumstances should be just captain's pick which is what Ed is itching to do.
If that happens, it will highlight the administration would have learned nothing from past failures.

As for Simon Lethlean, you only need to look at Hawthorn- the fact that they have ruled him out shows the strength of that club.

The bloke was just involved in a serious scandal that impacts your environment and culture…so why are we even considering him?
There should be a cross put through his name, it's far too early for him to take on such a high profile and rewarding job in the event of his recent behaviours.
Look at the Gubby scenario…

Let him go to Carlton. Nothing to be spooked about.
Just like Greg Swann (the then best CEO in the game) went to Carlton, we moved on just fine and had great success with Pert in charge through those earlier years.
Countless finals appearances and premiership success.

We will be fine- we just need to make the right call overall in due process.

1. Agree. But it's unfortunate that the off field stuff is again dominating. Would be great if we had sustained on field success and the off field stuff churned away in the background as it should.

2. Can only hope they implode and degenerate into civil war (with the help of Bruce Mathieson)

I don't think you're happy either way. If we do nothing you complain, if we make changes you complain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a waste of time for the Egon Zehnder group if the recruitment process is just a facade - they wouldn't come cheap either.
Based on how many times they got mentioned by the president on SEN this morning there is some deal that's been done on cost and probably process.

Carlton has always been run by the money men. Other than that they aren't sustainable. Their money men don't pay without a say. It's good to see some old Carlton coming back into Carlton. It's been a good year or two....

He was another Ed appointee looking after him after sacking him from Channel 9.
And kept on way too long....

nowhere really - just keeping a critical eye on the Pies "improvement program" - but never never taking a pot shot at the players or name calling other posters
Good on you.

considering that player's wages and to some extent coaches' too are all over the media, it would be intriguing to know how much a prospective CEO would earn.

Not usually one to enter into discussion about who the big dogs are, but is Simon Lethlean a serious candidate for the position?

I know he had his misdemeanour a few months ago that saw him stand down from the AFL, but still knows how to operate nonetheless.

There seems to be this automatic acceptance that Lethlean would be a good CEO. I am not sure why. He has a very good footy background - playing, coaching and administration but CEO is another matter again. I'm not sure he has the real commercial background. Clubs have footy departments and teams to run football operations. The CEO needs to understand the football side of things but he needs a strong commercial background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back