Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
For all the people who have it in their heads that we don’t want 11 games at KP:

View attachment 425065

This would finally put us on a level playing field with all the other teams.

Hopefully the AFL does the right thing.

I think 10 would be fair for Geelong while MCG tenants are also still being forced to play 1 or 2 home games at Etihad, contrary to their fixture requests.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If they get 9 games down there hopefully Carlton and Essendon go down there

Sick of going down there every bloody season

If they have 9 games in that out of the way postage stamp they will have 2 in Melbourne. They will probably have 2 of Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood but not all 3 at home and will play those two games in Melbourne leaving the Blues to slum it in Hicksville....sorry Geelong.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Dimensions? It's not that much different to Subiaco Oval? Of course Geelong should get 11 home games, they won't of course because the AFL don't operate on fairness. As long as Gil can do up that very tight button on his one size too small suit he wears, all is well at AFL headquarters. Hopefully Geelong will get 9 games.
I still find it puzzling that teams that finished 1 & 2 on the ladder after a 23 round H&A season end up traveling to play the 3rd placed team on their home ground in a finals series? Lucks a fortune.
Those that oppose this are only concerned about losing a game, Geelong is 75km away, it is not a suburb of Melbourne.
Surely some sort of roster system can be put in place that would suit the oh so precious big Melbourne clubs?
I would like to see these teams down there next year : 9 games
Carlton *
West Coast *
Port Adelaide
Brisbane *
Suns *
Demons *
Roos *
Giants
Saints *

* Did not play in Geelong in 2017.
Just roster teams on and you will find that Richmond might not return to KP until 2020 or thereabouts?

Jul 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
If they have 9 games in that out of the way postage stamp they will have 2 in Melbourne. They will probably have 2 of Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood but not all 3 at home and will play those two games in Melbourne leaving the Blues to slum it in Hicksville....sorry Geelong.
You see, with comments like this (totally idiotic) Kick them out! I'm a Cats man, but if nobody wants them in this competition, piss them off! I'm all for it. Australian football fans have smaller brains than most and it is blatantly obvious as to why!

Only 3 times in the Crows 27 seasons have they avoided Kardinia Park
And vice versa?? You make out as if its is some extraordinary imposition having to play at an opposition clubs home ground

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Dimensions? It's not that much different to Subiaco Oval? Of course Geelong should get 11 home games, they won't of course because the AFL don't operate on fairness. As long as Gil can do up that very tight button on his one size too small suit he wears, all is well at AFL headquarters. Hopefully Geelong will get 9 games.
I still find it puzzling that teams that finished 1 & 2 on the ladder after a 23 round H&A season end up traveling to play the 3rd placed team on their home ground in a finals series? Lucks a fortune.
Those that oppose this are only concerned about losing a game, Geelong is 75km away, it is not a suburb of Melbourne.
Surely some sort of roster system can be put in place that would suit the oh so precious big Melbourne clubs?
I would like to see these teams down there next year : 9 games
Carlton *
West Coast *
Port Adelaide
Brisbane *
Suns *
Demons *
Roos *
Giants
Saints *

* Did not play in Geelong in 2017.
Just roster teams on and you will find that Richmond might not return to KP until 2020 or thereabouts?
I wonder how many times Geelong played Richmond at Richmond's (and Geelong's other) home ground this year? Any idea? I know we played you once at your home ground.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You see, with comments like this (totally idiotic) Kick them out! I'm a Cats man, but if nobody wants them in this competition, piss them off! I'm all for it. Australian football fans have smaller brains than most and it is blatantly obvious as to why!

Calm down Jack. It's not that we don't want you in the competition. Its more that no one wants to go out there....kangaroos and snakes and all on the streets and possums up your trouser leg.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Melbourne based teams are forced to play home games at Etihad because Melbourne based teams choose to sell home games to other cities.
Unfortunately, Geelong has to unfairly do the same, yet they don’t sell home games.

Not actually accurate.
Melbourne based teams never get 11 home games at the MCG no matter whether they sell games or not.

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
Melbourne based teams are forced to play home games at Etihad because Melbourne based teams choose to sell home games to other cities.
Unfortunately, Geelong has to unfairly do the same, yet they don’t sell home games.
So Melbourne based teams who don't sell home games should be forced to supplement those who do simply because we're from the same area?

We don't control those teams. It's none of our business to tell them how to operate or to take the fall for their decision to play elsewhere.

Not actually accurate.
Melbourne based teams never get 11 home games at the MCG no matter whether they sell games or not.
Melbourne based teams get 11 home games in their home city, Geelong only gets 7 in their home city.
So Melbourne based teams who don't sell home games should be forced to supplement those who do simply because we're from the same area?

We don't control those teams. It's none of our business to tell them how to operate or to take the fall for their decision to play elsewhere.
No not saying that, I was referring to the teams who do sell home games, ie. Hawthorn, North, Dogs etc.
In years gone by, those teams selling home games for a profit has meant Geelong have unfairly had to play home games at Etihad where we take a huge financial hit... Hopefully the AFL fixes it this year.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Melbourne based teams get 11 home games in their home city, Geelong only gets 7 in their home city.

No not saying that, I was referring to the teams who do sell home games, ie. Hawthorn, North, Dogs etc.
In years gone by, those teams selling home games for a profit has meant Geelong have unfairly had to play home games at Etihad where we take a huge financial hit... Hopefully the AFL fixes it this year.

Perhaps I'm being dull here but in what direct way is EG North selling a game or two responsible for the Cats playing a game in the dome?

Jul 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
I wonder how many times Geelong played Richmond at Richmond's (and Geelong's other) home ground this year? Any idea? I know we played you once at your home ground.
Huh? We have played five of the last six games against the Tigers at the MCG. We played the first semi final at Richmond's home ground despite the AFL having a $2.5 billion TV deal in place. Gil and Caro waffle on about attendances, but i say stuff that, if you qualify higher you play your first final at home. Buy a TV set! The Tigers have done well with the fixture against the Cats in recent years. It's all nonsense anyway, every team must be rostered on to play in Geelong every 3 years or so...

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes I went through the other side of this argument with another Cats poster which most Cats people are either oblivious to or choose to ignore.

Some clubs choose to sell home games because they need the money, it's not really economically viable to get crowds of 27 thousand at the G, you don't make any money. Geelong however make a truckload of money from 27k at Simonds. Why? Because the administrators of the largely tax payer funded Simonds stadium basically let them use it for free, compared to the G and Etihad tenants who pay a pretty penny to play in their stadiums. Maybe the taxpayer should demand a comensurate return on their investment? Hope they don't though because Geelong would be broke. Yes if you want a level playing field with 11 games and pay a proper contribution to the stadium then you will go bust very quickly. The boss knows this, that's why he needs to be careful about how far he pushes it. He does seem to be happy to run with the whole this aint fair bs to keep the mindless sheeple on his side though.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes I went through the other side of this argument with another Cats poster which most Cats people are either oblivious to or choose to ignore.

Some clubs choose to sell home games because they need the money, it's not really economically viable to get crowds of 27 thousand at the G, you don't make any money. Geelong however make a truckload of money from 27k at Simonds. Why? Because the administrators of the largely tax payer funded Simonds stadium basically let them use it for free, compared to the G and Etihad tenants who pay a pretty penny to play in their stadiums. Maybe the taxpayer should demand a comensurate return on their investment? Hope they don't though because Geelong would be broke. Yes if you want a level playing field with 11 games and pay a proper contribution to the stadium then you will go bust very quickly. The boss knows this, that's why he needs to be careful about how far he pushes it. He does seem to be happy to run with the whole this aint fair bs to keep the mindless sheeple on his side though.
Instead of Tassie, why don't you sell 4 home games to Geelong if it makes so much money? Or is the Tassie gravy train to good for you?

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Huh? We have played five of the last six games against the Tigers at the MCG. We played the first semi final at Richmond's home ground despite the AFL having a $2.5 billion TV deal in place. Gil and Caro waffle on about attendances, but i say stuff that, if you qualify higher you play your first final at home. Buy a TV set! The Tigers have done well with the fixture against the Cats in recent years. It's all nonsense anyway, every team must be rostered on to play in Geelong every 3 years or so...
Geelong have hosted 6 of the last 9 H@A games 4 @ simmonds, 1 Etihad and 1@MCG. If you want to host games at the MCG, which your club does then you need to take aim at GFC as you don't have a leg to stand on in any argument.

I noticed your best fairest was at Crown last night, which is surprising considering it's so hard for your fans to travel 35 mins up the highway and then struggle back again. I guess there musn't be a venue big enough in Geelong...

Back