Should Interstate Clubs Sell Home Games To Play At The MCG?

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This might sound like a ridiculous idea but would you be happy for your club to sell 1 or 2 home games a year to play on the MCG?

If I followed a club (even Melbourne based) who did not play home games at the MCG I would be more then happy doing this knowing if you made the GF you were a greater chance of winning rhe biggest game of the year.

There is no doubt by doing this your win/loss may be affected negatively but i think the Pro's out way the Con's.

Thoughts?

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I dont understand why interstate teams that build new stadiums dont make the oval exactly the same dimensions as the G.
Its obviously harder than it seems but i couldnt see it beeing too hard.
Richmond were awful at Etihad. They redeveloped PRO to have exactly the same dimensions and we have been much better there

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
This might sound like a ridiculous idea but would you be happy for your club to sell 1 or 2 home games a year to play on the MCG?

If I followed a club (even Melbourne based) who did not play home games at the MCG I would be more then happy doing this knowing if you made the GF you were a greater chance of winning rhe biggest game of the year.

There is no doubt by doing this your win/loss may be affected negatively but i think the Pro's out way the Con's.

Thoughts?
We get 8 games at Spotless every year, we aint selling any of them. I'm sure our Canberra comrades have the same view about Manuka.
We have to have more than MCG game a year in the H/A season, but selling home games isn't the way.

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Could have some contractual and scheduling complications.

Already got the Vic teams fighting for MCG access.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Thoughts?
No.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The actual answer is when clubs spend billions on new stadiums they should be replicating the dimensions of the g as close as possible. But its easier to be geelong and keep your shitty small ground for the h&a advantage and then piss and moan every September

Far easier (and cheaper) to just ensure the fixture has at least two games for every interstate club at the MCG.

There have been seasons where interstate clubs have just had one or not even a single game at the MCG.

It's not hard.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Far easier (and cheaper) to just ensure the fixture has at least two games for every interstate club at the MCG.

There have been seasons where interstate clubs have just had one or not even a single game at the MCG.

It's not hard.

Comes down to financials. A big Melbourne club hosting an interstate club at the MCG means lost income, as does taking away a non-Victorian team's home game against a big Melbourne club and replacing it with a game against a small Melbourne club.

How badly do the clubs want a balanced fixture?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
The only scope for interstate club to sell a home game to play at MCG is Adelaide v Port Adelaide due to the fact it is close enough for their fans to make a weekend of it here. If one of them each year took it in turns of playing a home game at MCG then only one losing out of that is Adelaide Oval itself and given I suspect SACA has a contract that all games be at Adelaide Oval then that would end up being no anyway.

Also you cannot have clubs not involved losing out. Example. A team finishes 5th on ladder at end of round 23 and narrowly loses getting a double chance to some club that ended up 4th because that 4th club from Victoria got one less game interstate. Just not going to be allowed as totally ridiculous that 4th club benefits over 5th and other teams with less "away" games than 11.
Basically every club has to have 11 home games and 11 away games.

Back