Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet now he's leaving you want 2 first round draft picks for him. Seems you want your cake and eat it to me.

I'd be happy to pay him $550-600k. That would make him a top 5 player in terms of salary at the club. For a 21yo 3rd year third tall/KPD to make the AA team and have a club willing to offer him $800k/year suggests that he is worth quite a lot.

A player's worth is only determined by what a seller is willing to pay. So it depends if Melbourne want him bad enough to be willing to pay 2 first rounders for him or if they're not and are willing to risk him getting snapped up by another team in the draft.

It will be interesting to see who blinks first, especially as the Crows have been the ones to blink first in the past.

Yet..you didn't want to pay him his true value. You wanted him dirt cheap.

That's just plain incorrect. Firstly, none of us really know what the Crows have offered (or what Melbourne have offered, for that matter). Media reports suggest that the Crows have supposedly offered him $600k. That would make him as a 3rd year player, a top 5 paid player at the Crows. That's not dirt cheap at all.

We overpay for mediocre players and have a reasonably flat structure which means we have depth but will find it hard to sign big names or retain young players on the rise . The pecking order is cliquey and it always has been . We sign Hartigan for 3 more years , Luke Brown for 3 more years , we sign Jenkins for 5 years at 27 turning 28 for big money when we have McGovern and Lever coming through . We overpaid for 4 years of below average performance from Mackay , he had some decent games this season , more this year than his last 3 combined . We signed Otten for another year because he is a nice guy . Douglas has been overpaid the last 4 years although this was his best season of those his GF stunk as did Mackay . I would rather have more top end talent and develop our young crew quicker in the AFL system . There was no need for Thompson on the list this year .
We should have seen more of Gallucci and Menzel this year as well as Poholke and Doedee .
Our coaching and selection panel are too rigid and we suffer by not retaining players .
Port Adelaide do not have the same problem so something is amiss at the Crows .

We will find it hard to get back to the top 4 next year ...

How do you know we overpaid for Hartigan, Luke Brown and Douglas? We have no idea what those guys are being paid.

You can't use that argument though... you blokes shot yourself in the foot when you played hardball with Gibbs last year.

Carlton were giving up a star, and you refused to give anything reasonable in return... so the football world see's it as very hypocritical that you now want the same when the shoe is on the other foot.

I'm sure the Crows will be devastated to find out that "the football world" is calling them hypocrites. Do you think they might call them unreasonable too? I'm not sure if the Crows could handle that.

And playing hardball was clearly the wrong move, the Blues held strong, did the right thing, and I suspect that a deal will be done this year much more to the Blues liking.

It’s not hypocritical to try and get the best deal possible for your side, it’s just what every team does. Was the way we handled the Gibbs situation in the media poor? Obviously. But considering no deal was done what we offered for Gibbs is completely irrelevant to what the Dees offer us.

I disagree that playing hardball was the wrong move. No way is a 28yo who has never been AA worth 2 first round picks, even when contracted.

Possibly the only thig ALDI has got right is the icecoffee...

Farmdale RAM > Dare, FUIC, and all others.

Way, way creamier, not as sickly sweet as some. Trust me on this one, try it out. Pick one up for only $2 (before you leave with a cordless drill you didn't really need but it was cheap and bought it anyway)

Does Adelaide have ALDI yet? Lever might be just exploring his ice coffee options?

Way, way creamier, not as sickly sweet as some. Trust me on this one, try it out. Pick one up for only $2 (before you leave with a cordless drill you didn't really need but it was cheap and bought it anyway)

Does Adelaide have ALDI yet? Lever might be just exploring his ice coffee options?

Hey we have a whole 7 stores alright...
Melbourne has 18...

So adjusting for population we have more ALDIs than you :p.

Will have to give it a crack, do they have other milk flavours or just the IC

The problem is it's not just the 2 SA clubs picking those players. If the Crows have pick 17 and 35 then they're probably not going to get the best 2 SA players with those picks. Other clubs will likely snap them up before they get the chance.

Similarly, what happens if the Crows have pick 5, but the best SA player is rated around pick 20? Yes, the Crows could trade down, but it's not always that simple.
So why don't 10 Vic clubs have trouble landing talent? Are you suggesting the competition is overwhelming laden with vic talent? My guess is that would be the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No depth and yet our reserves side made the GF and yours didn’t even make the finals

Crows should model port because our history of retaining players have been far superior to Adelaide’s. Pretty simple, if you were good at retaining players you would had probably won the premiership this year

Yet with your great culture and model you finished 7th and missed finals most years since 2007. Also with your great culture and family environment you have Impey crashing into cars and hiding under the clubs skirt to avoid the police. You have Krakouer smashing up taxis and Ryder assaulting police (but please don't judge him) all within 12 months.

The PAFC culture is a fallacy. The reason you retain players is because they are comfortable in not being successful. They get paid well, cuddle up with Uncle Kenny who's proud of them when they choke, get protected when they step out of line and get adulation from scarf waving imbeciles to the tune of 80's ballads. Why would you leave?

Lever is being an utter tool in this move. Don't know who the * he thinks he is. That pathetic BT interview - no wonder the captain blasted the idiot. He clearly has no respect for Adelaide so I'd ignore any request he has in the process and keep pushing other options back at his manager. Otherwise he goes in the draft. 2 or three of these idiots getting picked up by interstate clubs via the draft will see this "nominate a club of choice" b/s that the managers have been driving finish pretty fast.

The clubs collectively need to start to draw a line in the sand in this crap. Stringer and Lever should both get thrown in the draft to see where it takes them and let's hope that one of them ends up in the GC with a very startled "wtf do I do now look on their faces".

I'll never forget Ollie Wines face on the way back from that G/C draft. Sick as a dog and white as a sheet on the flight home (I was 3 rows in front). Kid manned himself up, went to Port and became a midfield star. Good on him. These other fools can take a big cup of harden the * up.

Yet with your great culture and model you finished 7th and missed finals most years since 2007. Also with your great culture and family environment you have Impey crashing into cars and hiding under the clubs skirt to avoid the police. You have Krakouer smashing up taxis and Ryder assaulting police (but please don't judge him) all within 12 months.

The PAFC culture is a fallacy. The reason you retain players is because they are comfortable in not being successful. They get paid well, cuddle up with Uncle Kenny who's proud of them when they choke, get protected when they step out of line and get adulation from scarf waving imbeciles to the tune of 80's ballads. Why would you leave?

Their culture isnt a fallacy, its just a culture of feral behaviour.
Players and fans alike.

Lever is being an utter tool in this move. Don't know who the **** he thinks he is. That pathetic BT interview - no wonder the captain blasted the idiot. He clearly has no respect for Adelaide so I'd ignore any request he has in the process and keep pushing other options back at his manager. Otherwise he goes in the draft. 2 or three of these idiots getting picked up by interstate clubs via the draft will see this "nominate a club of choice" b/s that the managers have been driving finish pretty fast.

The clubs collectively need to start to draw a line in the sand in this crap. Stringer and Lever should both get thrown in the draft to see where it takes them and let's hope that one of them ends up in the GC with a very startled "wtf do I do now look on their faces".

I'll never forget Ollie Wines face on the way back from that G/C draft. Sick as a dog and white as a sheet on the flight home (I was 3 rows in front). Kid manned himself up, went to Port and became a midfield star. Good on him. These other fools can take a big cup of harden the **** up.

Your last sentence says it all.
Some kids want to be men...some want to be boys and cant be separated from their mummy.

Wines is one that has always impressed me. He didnt wanna leave Victoria, but was happy to reward the team that rewarded him. Gives it everything every game and represents the club well.

Last edited:
Lever is being an utter tool in this move. Don't know who the **** he thinks he is. That pathetic BT interview - no wonder the captain blasted the idiot. He clearly has no respect for Adelaide so I'd ignore any request he has in the process and keep pushing other options back at his manager. Otherwise he goes in the draft. 2 or three of these idiots getting picked up by interstate clubs via the draft will see this "nominate a club of choice" b/s that the managers have been driving finish pretty fast.

I'll never forget Ollie Wines face on the way back from that G/C draft. Sick as a dog and white as a sheet on the flight home (I was 3 rows in front). Kid manned himself up, went to Port and became a midfield star. Good on him. These other fools can take a big cup of harden the **** up.
Stringer melt thread.

Stringer can't be sent to the draft as he has a WB contract for 2018.

I just don't believe Port Adelaide Football Club stand for anything different to Adelaide football Club.
Might be just me being skeptical but I don't think footy clubs 'stand for' anything really. Except winning.

come on mate that's just sad!

Uh what does he have to do with Lever?

Lever left, Stringers been thrown out, ridiculed and now being held to ransom.

But you can only get that extra strong FUIC in Adelaide, which to me is the pick of ice coffees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back