Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

Twice. The MCG is not in any way Geelong's home ground.
Nah it is, whether you like it or not. You play home games at the MCG during the H&A, so obviously you get that ground experience (as well as experience from some away games there). The ground is NO issue for Geelong. However, you're right we played you once away and once at home = all fair.

But let's stop the home ground bleating. There's absolutely no doubt that both Adelaide and Geelong have a massive home ground advantage. Richmond played Adelaide and Geelong ONCE EACH during the H&A and it was at THEIR HOME GROUNDS.

Going on results during the year, if we'd have played both teams at the MCG as well as at their home grounds during H&A we'd have an extra 8 points on the board, with a healthier percentage to go along with it. Those teams would have had one less win, so -4 points each and the top 4 in order at the end of H&A would have been:

1. Richmond
2. Adelaide
3. GWS
4. Port Adelaide

Geelong wouldn't have had the double chance! And guess where we played our ONE AND ONLY game against Port Adelaide? You got it! We'd have 'earned' our 'home ground finals advantage' anyway, if it was a fair comp. So please, for the love of God, let it go!

Geelong have hosted 6 of the last 9 H@A games 4 @ simmonds, 1 Etihad and 1@MCG. If you want to host games at the MCG, which your club does then you need to take aim at GFC as you don't have a leg to stand on in any argument.

I noticed your best fairest was at Crown last night, which is surprising considering it's so hard for your fans to travel 35 mins up the highway and then struggle back again. I guess there musn't be a venue big enough in Geelong...

Yeah.... a B&F with a few hundred people, of which the majority are from the club anyway, is very much the same as a weekly game where 35-40,000 people go to....

Geelong have hosted 6 of the last 9 H@A games 4 @ simmonds, 1 Etihad and 1@MCG. If you want to host games at the MCG, which your club doesthen you need to take aim at GFC as you don't have a leg to stand on in any argument.

I noticed your best fairest was at Crown last night, which is surprising considering it's so hard for your fans to travel 35 mins up the highway and then struggle back again. I guess there musn't be a venue big enough in Geelong...
Why is it still so hard for people to understand?

6F3536D0-DD5F-4A75-B2D4-4A445C388B66.jpeg

We DON’T, I repeat DON’T want to host games at the MCG

No not saying that, I was referring to the teams who do sell home games, ie. Hawthorn, North, Dogs etc.
In years gone by, those teams selling home games for a profit has meant Geelong have unfairly had to play home games at Etihad where we take a huge financial hit... Hopefully the AFL fixes it this year.

So we agree. Richmond and Geelong (and Melbourne, Collingwood etc) all unfairly have to play home games at Etihad to supplement the Hawks, North and Dogs selling home game where we get a lower financial return than playing at our respective home grounds.

So we agree. Richmond and Geelong (and Melbourne, Collingwood etc) all unfairly have to play home games at Etihad to supplement the Hawks, North and Dogs selling home game where we get a lower financial return than playing at our respective home grounds.
I agree there, however Geelong are further disadvantaged because they have to play home games against teams located in that city that isn’t the city Geelong is located in. Geelong also doesn’t have the option of selling home games like all Melbourne teams do.

Instead of Tassie, why don't you sell 4 home games to Geelong if it makes so much money? Or is the Tassie gravy train to good for you?
Not sure on exact figures but Tassie probably would make us more money. It's about a milion per game plus extra members, merch etc, quite a lucrative deal. If we got thrown out of Tassie I would be more than happy to play a few of the lower drawing clubs at Simonds if we got the same stadium deal as you and made similar profits. That would be great for the Geelong region too, realy is a waste having such a good stadium sitting there empty.

Why is it still so hard for people to understand?

View attachment 425183

We DON’T, I repeat DON’T want to host games at the MCG

No home games against collingwold or hawthorn next year obviously. His tune changes pretty quick when it suits.

I agree there, however Geelong are further disadvantaged because they have to play home games against teams located in that city that isn’t the city Geelong is located in. Geelong also doesn’t have the option of selling home games like all Melbourne teams do.

Because geelong had a stadium funded by tax payers from which they make a metric *ton of cash

Why get salty?

Your away record is poor hence my reasoning. Also in the last 5 years we often made finals so your old insult i fear has little substance now.

Who is salty? Please demonstrate how our away record is poor - thanks.

I must have blinked and missed your finals performances previous to this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah it is, whether you like it or not. You play home games at the MCG during the H&A, so obviously you get that ground experience (as well as experience from some away games there). The ground is NO issue for Geelong. However, you're right we played you once away and once at home = all fair.

But let's stop the home ground bleating. There's absolutely no doubt that both Adelaide and Geelong have a massive home ground advantage. Richmond played Adelaide and Geelong ONCE EACH during the H&A and it was at THEIR HOME GROUNDS.

Going on results during the year, if we'd have played both teams at the MCG as well as at their home grounds during H&A we'd have an extra 8 points on the board, with a healthier percentage to go along with it. Those teams would have had one less win, so -4 points each and the top 4 in order at the end of H&A would have been:

1. Richmond
2. Adelaide
3. GWS
4. Port Adelaide

Geelong wouldn't have had the double chance! And guess where we played our ONE AND ONLY game against Port Adelaide? You got it! We'd have 'earned' our 'home ground finals advantage' anyway, if it was a fair comp. So please, for the love of God, let it go!

That's a hilarious fantasy you've conceived to attempt to make some sort of point, I'll give you that much.

The Cats have contributed ~ 20 million to the development of Simmonds Stadium ... doesn't quite suite the narrative I know. :)
Which is about 10% of the total.
And that minor contribution was possible due to the extremely generous tax payer subsidised stadium deal they have which means they make good profits for crowds less than 30k. The stadium is a gift from the taxpayer, I personally don't have a problem with it, I like to see areas going through financial difficulties get some help. What I do have a problem with is people not acknowledging this help and instead making out like they are being ripped off.

The main thing I always take away from these arguments is the time it takes to get from Melbourne to Geelong.

Depending on what angle they want to argue, people seem to either travel at 150km/h up the Highway, or about 65.

Melbourne based teams are forced to play home games at Etihad because Melbourne based teams choose to sell home games to other cities.
Unfortunately, Geelong has to unfairly do the same, yet they don’t sell home games.
The only reason we are selling our home games is because those were the ones were being played at Etihad. If we had a guarantee of 11 home games at the MCG, I doubt we would be playing in Tassie

The only reason we are selling our home games is because those were the ones were being played at Etihad. If we had a guarantee of 11 home games at the MCG, I doubt we would be playing in Tassie
And so Geelong has to play them in your place. I'm glad someone is making money out of doing it.

Geez that’d be nice, Id love for us to sell our 2 home games somewhere else as opposed to playing it Etihad due to clubs like Hawthorn selling home games for a profit.

And so Geelong has to play them in your place. I'm glad someone is making money out of doing it.
And we still forced to play home games there occasionally.

At least you haven't been forced to move all your home games out of your home ground as we were with Waverley

Level, but not even a real oval
Point me to a spot in the rules that a) says grounds have to have be the same as each other b) that the ground dimensions contravene the leagues rules and c) how it is any different to Adelaide Oval or Subiaco which are also long and narrow.

And we still forced to play home games there occasionally.

At least you haven't been forced to move all your home games out of your home ground as we were with Waverley
At least when you’re forced to play there it is a home game, the least the AFL could do when we are forced to play there is let us play an interstate side, but no, we play a home game against a team located in that city that isn’t the city we are located in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back