2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would trade pick 1 for 7 and 8. I reckon two of coffield, cerra and bonar would be there and grab Clark at pick 12. Have heard saints want to move up and target someone and I reckon it's Rayner.

I would look at trading Pick 1 for say Carlton's Pick 3 (to pick up one of Rayner, Davis-Uniacke and Dow) and for another lower first rounder (maybe one of the picks that Carlton might get for Bryce Gibbs.). Be nice if Pick 2 arrives at Brisbane via Rockliff too but I'm not holding my breath about that. Also would like to see Jaidyn Stephenson at the club as well.

I would look at trading Pick 1 for say Carlton's Pick 3 (to pick up one of Rayner, Davis-Uniacke and Dow) and for another lower first rounder (maybe one of the picks that Carlton might get for Bryce Gibbs.). Be nice if Pick 2 arrives at Brisbane via Rockliff too but I'm not holding my breath about that. Also would like to see Jaidyn Stephenson at the club as well.
If we were to get a pick 2 I could see a LDU and Brayshaw combo. Both went to Hailebury which might help also.

I'd be absolutely shocked if we took rayner from what I've heard from a few places. Nothing club level official though so you never know I guess
Have spoken to a couple of people who do recruiting for a living and they said Rayner best player in the draft and if Brissy keep #1 he'd be the one.

I've liked Stephenson for quite a while as well but doesn't seem to be much talk from the club that we have an interest in him.

Have spoken to a couple of people who do recruiting for a living and they said Rayner best player in the draft and if Brissy keep #1 he'd be the one.
That's a long way off it being a sure thing that Brisbane will take him.

I'm not sure there's any great surprise that some recruiters see him as the best player this year. But recruiters don't always get the final say and, further, there is room for differences of opinion.

Brett Andersons's latest power rankings out today- https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/06/2017-big-board-2-0-or-bolters-and-sliders-galore/

1. Cameron Rayner
2. Luke Davies-Uniacke
3. Jaidyn Stephenson
4. Paddy Dow
5. Charlie Constable
6. Adam Cerra
7. Nick Coffield
8. Sam Hayes
9. Aaron Naughton
10. Darcy Fogarty
11. Aiden Bonar
12. Jack Higgins
13. Andrew Brayshaw
14. Jarrod Brander
15. Hunter Clark
16. Nathan Murphy
17. Oscar Allen
18. Patrick Naish
19. Ed Richards
20. Noah Balta
21. Connor Ballenden
22. Matthew Ling
23. Joel Garner
24. Jordan Houlahan
25. Lochie O'Brien

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm warming to a LDU / Bonar combination. Adding those 2 to our young midfield along with Cameron/Ballenden/Hodge would be a pretty good off season i think. If Brayshaw gets to our pick 12 we won't be able to read his name out quick enough.

Actually, if we somehow managed LDU and Brayshaw i think our midfield would pretty much be done. Maybe take 1 more mid next year, but we could start looking at other needs just about.
LDU + Brayshaw or Bonar + Izak Rankine 2018 and we're set. 3peat 20 years on 2021-23.

Pick 2 compo for Rocky and take Jaydin Stephenson or Paddy Dow as the icing on the cake.

Actually, if we somehow managed LDU and Brayshaw i think our midfield would pretty much be done. Maybe take 1 more mid next year, but we could start looking at other needs just about.

Yeah, I think 2 or 3 midfielders would just about round it off in terms of establishing a core.

The next few picks (either this year or next) could the. be used on "icing on the cake" type players - eg an elite small forward.

Yeah, I think 2 or 3 midfielders would just about round it off in terms of establishing a core.

The next few picks (either this year or next) could the. be used on "icing on the cake" type players - eg an elite small forward.

And a genuine quick and athletic outside wingman with good skills.

I've liked Stephenson for quite a while as well but doesn't seem to be much talk from the club that we have an interest in him.
Looks like a great athlete and a real x factor type, but even in his highlights his kicking in uncontested situations is all over the shop.

And a genuine quick and athletic outside wingman with good skills.
Yep. Although, I reckon that's where we'd like to see Cedric ultimately so we'd be hoping one wing will prove to be covered.

I honestly don't see a huge talent gap between 1 and 15... at least compared to usual drafts. The problem is that these 25 names are about all this draft will give us. Very even but also very shallow according to a few.
True

That's why our strategy is to bring in 3 guns with picks 1, 12 & 18/19 to complement the 4 (5 if you count Allison) last year. Adding Cameron with pick 18/19)
The plan was always to draft 6-8 players in successive drafts in the top 20/25.
That fact this is a shallow draft helps us as we will pick the best of the best (ie 3 of the top 20)

From Brett Anderson's ratings
- One of Rayner, Dow, LDU
- One of Bonar, Higgins, Brayshaw
- Ballenden

Would also like Worpel

All I know, is 3-4 really good players are getting drafted to the mighty lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back