Dustin Martin 2017 - Best Single Season For A Star Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone here remember that amazing season Carey had, I think in the late 90s or 2000, when he was red hot favourite to win the Brownlow and he didn't even poll that well on the night? That was probably the most dominant year I have seen from a player. The conspiracy was that the umpires didn't like him because he was so arrogant, and that impacted the votes he got.

It was surprising Dusty did not win The Age Footballer of the Year award. Are there any other major media awards he did not win?

It was surprising Dusty did not win The Age Footballer of the Year award. Are there any other major media awards he did not win?
It is the one that really truly matters in the greater scheme of things. So average year for Dusty it seems.

He had a fantastic season but in terms of production I'm not sure it'd be a top 5 season from GAJ. People forget how much better he was than anyone else at his peak.
Definitely, you could even make a case - awards aside - that he wasn't even the best performed this season

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=2310&pid2=3316&fid1=S&fid2=S

Danger has more possessions, goals, tackles, marks, contested possessions, clearances and disposal efficiency (shock horror)
Dusty has more I50's, clangers, turnovers and score involvements

It's not just the awards, though they provide a decent proxy for estimating a player's worth.

Dustin impacts the scoreboard possibly more than any other individual in the game, by which I mean almost every possession of his leads directly to a scoring opportunity. He is cleaner by foot than both Danger and Fyfe were in their Brownlow years and stronger one-on-one than GAJ.

One could sift through mountains of stats to come up with a more reliable answer to this subjective question. But from my perspective, impact is everything and almost everything Dusty touched this year turned into gold.

danger would have at least equaled his brownlow votes if not for a stupid suspension and not polling in a game where he was clearly best on and he (martin) wasn't best on in the grand final so i don't think it is as clear-cut as it looks. Awards-wise it is up there but there have been better individual seasons performance-wise.

danger would have at least equaled his brownlow votes if not for a stupid suspension and not polling in a game where he was clearly best on and he (martin) wasn't best on in the grand final so i don't think it is as clear-cut as it looks. Awards-wise it is up there but there have been better individual seasons performance-wise.

Martin was clear BOG one week too and only received one vote, but nobody talks about that.

Should have polled 40.

Martin was clear BOG one week too and only received one vote, but nobody talks about that.

Should have polled 40.
36 + 2 = 38? I remember that game, Cripps was OK but Martin clear best on. Personally I'm not a fan of losing team's players getting votes in a lop-sided game. I figure if that player was so good then the game would have been closer, and conversely there has to be some deserving players in the winning team responsible for the big margin. Ablett's made an artform of it at GC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely, you could even make a case - awards aside - that he wasn't even the best performed this season

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=2310&pid2=3316&fid1=S&fid2=S

Danger has more possessions, goals, tackles, marks, contested possessions, clearances and disposal efficiency (shock horror)

It’s about doing it when in counts.

Dustin Martin was the best player of the finals (arguably best on in all three games). Dangerfield only fired in one finals game.

You can compare any stats you want but Martins season was easily better.

Does anyone here remember that amazing season Carey had, I think in the late 90s or 2000, when he was red hot favourite to win the Brownlow and he didn't even poll that well on the night? That was probably the most dominant year I have seen from a player. The conspiracy was that the umpires didn't like him because he was so arrogant, and that impacted the votes he got.

I wasn't following football closely enough when Carey was at his height or at all when Matthews was - his 1977 performance looks pretty astonishing. Though there's one obvious point with Carey in 1998 and Matthews in 1977 (and I'm not going to say it's decisive as I've defended Richo enough against allegations that he can't be rated due to lack of team success). Their performances weren't able to propel their teams to a flag. I'm far more confident, however, in using a similar argument with regard to the Gaz2 comparison (which also applies to Gaz1). Dusty is the quintessential, unselfish, team player. He doesn't just perform; he brings other players into the game. It's one of the things that set him apart from Dangerfield this year. Look at the QF against Geelong, with Dangerfield trying to do it all himself versus Martin playing for his teammates that he loves.

Their home & away seasons were practically the same. I gave the edge to Dangerfield because he kicked more goals but anyone arguing that there was a sizable difference in favour of either player is wrong.

Martin had the better finals series, however, which gives him an edge across the whole season.

It’s about doing it when in counts.

Dustin Martin was the best player of the finals (arguably best on in all three games). Dangerfield only fired in one finals game.

You can compare any stats you want but Martins season was easily better.

Their home & away seasons were practically the same. I gave the edge to Dangerfield because he kicked more goals but anyone arguing that there was a sizable difference in favour of either player is wrong.

Martin had the better finals series, however, which gives him an edge across the whole season.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Martin was the best this year - the awards prove that (especially the premiership medallion) but I was just saying that they were very close and some could argue either way.

3df926aa1e18ac630e36bfbbbc125ed5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back