Team Mgmt. 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Saad fills a huge need. With McGrath likely to play on a wing next season, we have no quick half backs apart from Mckenna. Gleeson is suited to more of a intercept player. Have barely seen him run and carry with the ball.
Gleeson certainly does run and carry, what games were you watching this year?! What Gleeson doesn't do is defend well. He intercepts and rebounds. Quintessential hbf and I can't see him holding down any other position.

A

ambrose isn't a lock, I think he will struggle to even get a game.
I swear, one or two poor games and suddenly everyone's got memories like gold fish. The only difficulty confronting ambrose being a lock is hartleys form. But ambrose is a better fit so my money is on him. I agree Francis needs to be squished in somehow but I think that will be off the bench.
Ambrose is a huge asset for the club. He locks down tight and can run all day.

B: Saad Hooker Gleeson

HB: Goddard Hurley McKenna

C: McGrath Heppell Zaharakis

HF: Begley Daniher Smith

F: Fantasia Stringer Stewart

R: Bellchambers Zerrett Myers

Int: Langford Walla Laverde Parish

Emg: Colyer Ambrose Mutch

I think hooker forward makes us too top heavy. Hooker is an AA back and relegates Hartley to depth which ks preferable. Ambrose can swap for Gleeson depending on matchups and opposition. I would then use Hooker as an Adam Hunter/Harry Taylor like swingman with stints forward.

Stringer forward with daniher and stewart gives us diversity. Further laverde, langford and begley can rotate with stringer through the midfield and give stewart a chop out as a third tall. Walla, smith and fanta make an exciting small mix forward of centre and through the midfield rotation.

Mcgrath can play wing with saad taking his place as a rebounding defender. Goddard rotates with Zerrett through the midfield and half back as they did throughout this year.

This side is balanced and i think has enough attack and defence to be quality. A lot hinges on the development of laverde, langford and begley into the big bodied midfielders that werent available this offseason.

I swear, one or two poor games and suddenly everyone's got memories like gold fish. The only difficulty confronting ambrose being a lock is hartleys form. But ambrose is a better fit so my money is on him. I agree Francis needs to be squished in somehow but I think that will be off the bench.
Mate I've never rated ambrose, he has filled a gap over the years and has got the most out of himself. There's zero offence to his game

The forward line worked with Joey, Hooker, Raz, Walla all kicking over 30 goals. Also, Stewart didn't play till round 6-7?? And kicked over 20. As much as I would love Hooker back, I think he is a forward now.
I don't think Stewart can hold down the full forward spot like Hooker. But he can get up the ground and behind defences to create goals. Stringer will add to this forward line as will Smith, as they can rotate through the mid, as well as Walla, Raz, Laverde and Langford.
Hartley whilst has his limitations, is our tallest defender at 199cm and is needed. I'm hoping Francis can push to take Ambrose's spot, he can peel across to take intersept marks and use his kicking skills to create.

I would go with for round 1.

Baguley Hartley Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Stewart Hooker Tipungwuti
T- Bell Merrett Parish
Smith Langford Laverde Goddard

Last edited:
He's a good player, but will always be limited. Most likely best 22 R1 next year, but if we're not trying to upgrade his position in the side, we're going nowhere.

The forward line worked with Joey, Hooker, Raz, Walla all kicking over 30 goals. Also, Stewart didn't play till round 6-7?? And kicked over 20. As much as I would love Hooker back, I think he is a forward now.
I don't think Stewart can hold down the full forward spot like Hooker. But he can get up the ground and behind defences to create goals. Stringer will add to this forward line as will Smith, as they can rotate through the mid, as well as Walla, Raz, Laverde and Langford.
Hartley whilst has his limitations, is our tallest defender at 199cm and is needed. I'm hoping Francis can push to take Ambrose's spot, he can peel across to take intersept marks and use his kicking skills to create.

I would go with for round 1.

Baguley Hartley Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Stewart Hooker Tipungwuti
T- Bell Merrett Parish
Smith Langford Laverde Gleeson

No Goddard...??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a good player, but will always be limited. Most likely best 22 R1 next year, but if we're not trying to upgrade his position in the side, we're going nowhere.
I think most other defenders will always be limited in comparison to ambrose when it comes to endurance. When he is in form he just takes key forwards out of the game completely. When they start moving up field to get their hands on the ball they just don't get away. He is a nightmare opponent in that sense. He also is relatively fresh to the gig so there is room for improvement.
He is no longer a bright and shiney new thing at the club, that is the problem on this board

I think hooker forward makes us too top heavy. Hooker is an AA back and relegates Hartley to depth which ks preferable. Ambrose can swap for Gleeson depending on matchups and opposition. I would then use Hooker as an Adam Hunter/Harry Taylor like swingman with stints forward.

Stringer forward with daniher and stewart gives us diversity. Further laverde, langford and begley can rotate with stringer through the midfield and give stewart a chop out as a third tall. Walla, smith and fanta make an exciting small mix forward of centre and through the midfield rotation.

Mcgrath can play wing with saad taking his place as a rebounding defender. Goddard rotates with Zerrett through the midfield and half back as they did throughout this year.

This side is balanced and i think has enough attack and defence to be quality. A lot hinges on the development of laverde, langford and begley into the big bodied midfielders that werent available this offseason.
I honestly don't know who would actually play man on man defence in that defensive unit. Hurley and Hooker are both better interceptors than actual stoppers, Saad and McKenna need GPS tracking units attached to their man just so they can get a clue where he is and Goddard has never seen a man he dosent want to run off.......

I honestly don't know who would actually play man on man defence in that defensive unit. Hurley and Hooker are both better interceptors than actual stoppers, Saad and McKenna need GPS tracking units attached to their man just so they can get a clue where he is and Goddard has never seen a man he dosent want to run off.......
Disagree. Hooker has towelled up a number of the oppositions best forwards when he was AA and playing defence. I remember one game where geelong beat us by 8 goals and Hawkins still didnt get a touch on Hooker. Would take the monsters that Ambrose and Hartley have shown an inability to play on.
Hurley and Gleeson are more than capable stoppers. I actually think Hurley is a better stopper than interceptor (he is still very good at the latter however). He played more intercepting this year as we had no one else other than maybe Gleeson to do it.

I would back Hooker, Hurley and Gleeson (with the right matchup) to win their 1 v 1 most weeks. McKenna is adequate but can have lapses, however I see your issue with Goddard and Saad though.

I think we have to exploit or strengths and go all out pace. If this is the case then Hooker down at full back makes sense.
A line up like this looks awesome - and fast...!!

Gleeson Hooker Baguley
McKenna Hurley Saad
Parish Heppell McGrath
Stringer Stewart Fantasia
Smith Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Zakka Z.Merrett

Bench from: Goddard Langford Colyer Green

Last edited:
I think most other defenders will always be limited in comparison to ambrose when it comes to endurance. When he is in form he just takes key forwards out of the game completely. When they start moving up field to get their hands on the ball they just don't get away. He is a nightmare opponent in that sense. He also is relatively fresh to the gig so there is room for improvement.
He is no longer a bright and shiney new thing at the club, that is the problem on this board
It has got nothing to do with being "bright and shiney".
He does all things you say well, no argument. But offers minimal offensively or intercept marking. Hence why he is limited, as is Hartley.

I

I really hope Langford and laverde come on this year. 3 years in the system time to shine lads

That's a really well thought out side which in principle I agree with. The main call out being Hooker switching back with the addition of Stringer. Shores up our back 6 & makes us a 3-4 goal better side.

I like the depth chart of Gleeson & Ambrose as the 3rd tall as well! Also like how you've squeezed our Baguley & Hartley too!

B: Baguley Ambrose Gleeson
HB: Saad Hurley McKenna
HF: Smith Daniher Fantasia
F: Stringer Hooker McDonald Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers Z.Merrett Parish
Int: Goddard Begley Stewart Laverde

Looks forward top heavy, however, stringer, fantasia, tippa and smith to rotate on ball with laverde and begley.
Goddard, heppell to rotate through mid and half back

Stewart can release hooker down back when momentum swings and he is mobile enough to put pressure on at the ground level. Also can catch some defenses short if he rotates with a small, on transition, might mean Daniher, hooker or himself get a mismatch for a short time for an easy aerial win

Seniors:

FB: Gleeson - Hartley - Ambrose
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
MF: Zaharakis - Merrett - Smith
HF: Stringer - Daniher - McDonald-Tipungwuti
FF: Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
OB: Bellchambers - Heppell - D Parish
IC: Langford - McGrath - Goddard - Redman

Reserves:

FB: Ridley - DP/DFA - Baguley
HB: DP/DFA - Brown - McNiece
MF: Laverde - Myers - Mutch
HF: Begley - DP/DFA - DP/DFA
FF: Green - DP/DFA - Draper
OB: Leuenberger - Clarke - C Parish
IC: DP/DFA - DP/DFA - DP/DFA - DP/DFA

Last edited:
Seniors:

FB: Gleeson - Hartley - Ambrose
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
MF: Zaharakis - Merrett - Smith
HF: Stringer - Daniher - McDonald-Tipungwuti
FF: Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
OB: Bellchambers - Heppell - D Parish
IC: Langford - Laverde - Goddard - Redman

Reserves:

FB: Ridley - DP/DFA - Baguley
HB: DP/DFA - Brown - McNiece
MF: DP/DFA - Myers - Mutch
HF: Begley - DP/DFA - DP/DFA
FF: Green - DP/DFA - Draper
OB: Leuenberger - Clarke - C Parish
IC: DP/DFA - DP/DFA - DP/DFA - DP/DFA

McGrath?

Saad Hartley ambrose
Gleeson Hurley McKenna
Zaka Heppell smith
Fantasia Daniher stringer
Walla hooker Stewart
Bellchambers parish zerrett
Goddard McGrath ??? ???

Langford laverde colyer Myers begley - the most likely to fill in the last two spots.
Francis and Ridley to be trialled if the trio of Hurley Hartley and ambrose is not working or injured.
Mutch Redman and Clarke to be back up for defensive/ wing roles.
Beside Baguely and luey being specific injury replacements everyone not listed is pretty far down the pecking order of getting games.

Our team looks pretty darn good if we get the 3 E-sss-endon additions. Not only for next year but the next 3-4 years with Goddard being the only player coming to an end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back