Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

At least when you’re forced to play there it is a home game, the least the AFL could do when we are forced to play there is let us play an interstate side, but no, we play a home game against a team located in that city that isn’t the city we are located in

That's fair.

Ideal - 11 games at Simmonds per year.
Fair - 9 games at Simmonds and 2 interstate sides at Etihad or MCG

But in return the AFL needs to set clear rules regarding finals at Etihad/Simmonds - Clearly defined rules such as in the situation of 4 finals in Melbourne, Etihad/Simmonds stadium tenants have the option and can only host a final against an interstate side.

Just be clear about it AFL.

Wow, some Geelong posters still being so obtuse only looking at one side of the equation even though I've explained it a couple of times. Just brush off the taxpayer subsidy truth because it doesn't suit your rant. Taxpayers are the reason your club hasn't gone bust, just be grateful for your cushy taxpayer funded profits instead of playing the victim.

Wow, some Geelong posters still being so obtuse only looking at one side of the equation even though I've explained it a couple of times. Just brush off the taxpayer subsidy truth because it doesn't suit your rant. Taxpayers are the reason your club hasn't gone bust, just be grateful for your cushy taxpayer funded profits instead of playing the victim.
6a7fc6ab1253030e40bd41deccc29095

Says a hawks poster...
Did you pay for the 'G?
Waverley?
Tassie?
Or did the tax payer fund all of those stadiums?
I don't recall hearing about the hawks footing any part of any development on any of the stadiums they have called home grounds.
On top of not having to pay a single cent you STILL almost merged with another club...

That's fair.

Ideal - 11 games at Simmonds per year.
Fair - 9 games at Simmonds and 2 interstate sides at Etihad or MCG

But in return the AFL needs to set clear rules regarding finals at Etihad/Simmonds - Clearly defined rules such as in the situation of 4 finals in Melbourne, Etihad/Simmonds stadium tenants have the option and can only host a final against an interstate side.

Just be clear about it AFL.
Nah, fair would be to allow us to play all 11 home games at KP and all finals there bar the GF. GWS are allowed the same luxury with a much smaller ground capacity...
Tasmania is the reason your club hasent gone bust or merged with Melbourne.

If only Geelong had the same opportunity to sell 4 home games a year to make a profit...

Says a hawks poster...
Did you pay for the 'G?
Waverley?
Tassie?
I don't recall hearing about the hawks footing any part of any development on any of the stadiums they have called home grounds.
On top of not having to pay a single cent you STILL almost merged with another club...
Go back and read my posts. It's about how much you have to pay to play there. There's a reason Geelong make a truckload with a 27k crowd, it's not magic. Maybe you have just misunderstood it and aren't one of the obtuse ones, they know who they are.

Go back and read my posts. It's about how much you have to pay to play there. There's a reason Geelong make a truckload with a 27k crowd, it's not magic. Maybe you have just misunderstood it and aren't one of the obtuse ones, they know who they are.
It's *35,000, I can't take your argument seriously if you keep spouting obviously wrong facts.

Says a hawks poster...
Did you pay for the 'G?
Waverley?
Tassie?
Yeah its a bit people in glass houses with Hawthorn fans

They have a financial basket case of a state government sponsor them. Right there on the jumper it says "TASMANIA". Dozens of towns in Tasmania have to boil their drinking water and Hawks have had to scam money out of the dumb politicians there to stay viable.

Tasmania is the reason your club hasent gone bust or merged with Melbourne.

If only Geelong had the same opportunity to sell 4 home games a year to make a profit...
You're slowly understanding it. Yes Tassie has helped stop us going bust, it's all about money, that's why we play there. I'm not having a go at the Cats, but your taxpayer stadium deal has stopped you going bust, that's why you need to accept the scheduling of some of your games elsewhere. Remove that taxpayer subsidy and you make very little profit at home, you would definitely need to sell games like we do to stay afloat.

You're slowly understanding it. Yes Tassie has helped stop us going bust, it's all about money, that's why we play there. I'm not having a go at the Cats, but your taxpayer stadium deal has stopped you going bust, that's why you need to accept the scheduling of some of your games elsewhere. Remove that taxpayer subsidy and you make very little profit at home, you would definitely need to sell games like we do to stay afloat.
And I’d be fine with that... Id rather have the deal Hawthorn have where they get 11 true home games...

You make a truck load with a 27k crowd, it's just an example, I think we pulled 27k to the G recently and would make next to nothing from it.

I wasn't claiming that is the capacity of the ground, I know the place quite well.
It's not about Hawthorn though. It's about Geelong getting home games played in Geelong. Because Geelong =/= Melbourne. Maybe we can get 7 home games at Kardinia Park, then sell the remaining 4 games to Waurn Ponds and have the AFL pay us money for playing over there. It's ludicrous. Melbourne teams are losing their identity, and one of the few Victorian clubs who actually wants to remain tied to the region it is named after is being forced to compensate for the lot of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not about Hawthorn though. It's about Geelong getting home games played in Geelong. Because Geelong =/= Melbourne. Maybe we can get 7 home games at Kardinia Park, then sell the remaining 4 games to Waurn Ponds and have the AFL pay us money for playing over there. It's ludicrous. Melbourne teams are losing their identity, and one of the few Victorian clubs who actually wants to remain tied to the region it is named after is being forced to compensate for the lot of them.
How far from Melbourne do you think it would take for Melbourne supporters to get off the high horse and deem it far enough away that the club shouldn't play home games in Melbourne? Colac? Warnnambool? Mt. Gambier?

Go back and read my posts, you're still missing the point, you are already coming out way way ahead in compensation terms. I'm not against the Cats in all this.

Go back and read my posts, you're still missing the point, you are already coming out way way ahead in compensation terms. I'm not against the Cats in all this.
So we should play games at Etihad to even the ledger? Shouldn't you be advocating for the maximum use of assets paid for by the government?

Which is about 10% of the total.
And that minor contribution was possible due to the extremely generous tax payer subsidised stadium deal they have which means they make good profits for crowds less than 30k. The stadium is a gift from the taxpayer, I personally don't have a problem with it, I like to see areas going through financial difficulties get some help. What I do have a problem with is people not acknowledging this help and instead making out like they are being ripped off.

It's not a minor contribution by any stretch; it's significant.

The other AFL clubs combined haven't contributed anywhere near what the Cats have in regards to stadium development.

The Cats are a well run club with clear business objectives and planning. Their ability to execute these plans is to be admired and celebrated (great unwashed precluded).

Last edited:
It's not a minor contribution by any stretch; it's significant.

The other AFL clubs combined haven't contributed anywhere near what the Cats have in regards to stadium development.

The Cats are a well run club with clear business objectives and planning. Their ability to execute these plans is to be admired and celebrated (great unwashed precluded).
Significant is over 50%.

You've effectively paid for a few of the toilets in the new stadium. 10% of a total is minor in anyones language.

So we agree. Richmond and Geelong (and Melbourne, Collingwood etc) all unfairly have to play home games at Etihad to supplement the Hawks, North and Dogs selling home game where we get a lower financial return than playing at our respective home grounds.

And if we don't subsidise the smaller clubs they struggle and the competition struggles.

We need to be careful what we wish for. I don't want the likes of Norf going to the wall.

And if we don't subsidise the smaller clubs they struggle and the competition struggles.

We need to be careful what we wish for. I don't want the likes of Norf going to the wall.
We subsidise other clubs through equalisation.

To be fair, Geelong do it more than anyone else.

No Melbourne club is going under in this climate.

No other Victorian team currently has an automatic right to 11 home games at their nominated home ground. The notion of the Cats not playing home games at the MCG is fair enough, but the sharing of Etihad is a good idea - if all other teams non-Docklands teams have to chip in a home game to help preserve the Victorian league asset's contractual obligations despite the ground not being their home venue, then the Cats should too as Victorians. They're not interstaters. A game at Docklands every year is fair enough while those obligations remain...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back