What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Gee this thread has turned to s**t. Used to be one of the red good ones on this board.
Tigers deserved 2017 flag as they were the best team in the finals, just as the Dogs were last year. Simple Stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That rule they tried in the pre-season years ago where it didn't matter whether the ball hit the post, if it went through, it counted, and if it bounced back into play, it was play-on... that was fantastic.
Agree. Been wanting this rule ever since I was a little kid. When they tried it it was like a dream come true. Then they crushed it.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That rule they tried in the pre-season years ago where it didn't matter whether the ball hit the post, if it went through, it counted, and if it bounced back into play, it was play-on... that was fantastic.

Makes goal kicking 100 times easier to officiate as well. Ahhhhh if only :(

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I have a philosophical disagreement with the 'hit post,go through, goal - hit post bounce out - play on' scenario. A post is just a physical representation of the goal - it marks the boundary. It shouldn't have any physical impact on the game (like having balls bounce off it). For that reason, I like the AFL rules.

I think in 10-15 years we will have some form of 'virtual' posts that will indicate to the players and spectators where the goals are - in other words, the posts will not exist in practise on the ground. The computer or what ever will instantly tell if the ball has gone cleanly between the posts or if it has just clipped it.

But I agree, while we have posts made of wood, the scenario you have outlined above is easier to follow.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hated those rules they created. Supergoals and play on off the post, no thanks.

Long Shlongmire

Draftee
Oct 6, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Rather than taking a set shot for goal, players should take a spot kick rugby style.

Stats show that this is a far more accurate way to put the ball between the sticks

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rather than taking a set shot for goal, players should take a spot kick rugby style.

Stats show that this is a far more accurate way to put the ball between the sticks

It might be more accurate, but it's not part of the game.
Are you saying it would be better if it's part of the game or that it should be a part of the game because it's more accurate?

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Are you saying it would be better if it's part of the game or that it should be a part of the game because it's more accurate?
It's still legal to do a place kick actually.

However with a man on the mark, 30 second shot clock and no 'tee' allowed - I'd dare say it wouldn't work these days.

Long Shlongmire

Draftee
Oct 6, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
The game evolves. Why wouldn't a player experiment if it means scoring accuracy improves

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I love all the little quirks of the AFL - including the 'poster'. Keep as is. Just kick it straight through without hitting anything if you want 6 points.

And I think a Tasmanian team is an awful awful idea - if we think GC has issues retaining and attracting players, while struggling to establish themselves to being able to stand on their 2 own feet, Tassie would be another step up.

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
I love all the little quirks of the AFL - including the 'poster'. Keep as is. Just kick it straight through without hitting anything if you want 6 points.

And I think a Tasmanian team is an awful awful idea - if we think GC has issues retaining and attracting players, while struggling to establish themselves to being able to stand on their 2 own feet, Tassie would be another step up.

Can't believe people think a tassie team is a good idea. The financial aspect is one thing, but what you've listed above makes it clear cut for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back