2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And a genuine quick and athletic outside wingman with good skills.

Yep. Although, I reckon that's where we'd like to see Cedric ultimately so we'd be hoping one wing will prove to be covered.

I'm really hoping one of Cutler or Allison can develop into an option in that role as well.

Where are you getting the Pick2 compo from? how much are Port paying Rocky?

I'd say that was a "if we somehow got it" sort of scenario. I doubt he gets band one, but if Trengove at 3 x $500K gets band 3 then its going to be borderline.

I'd say that was a "if we somehow got it" sort of scenario. I doubt he gets band one, but if Trengove at 3 x $500K gets band 3 then its going to be borderline.

Ok, I'm not to fussed if we slip from 3-4 as I think the top5 are very even. I thought that Band1 would need to be atleast over $800K

Brett Andersons's latest power rankings out today- https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/06/2017-big-board-2-0-or-bolters-and-sliders-galore/

1. Cameron Rayner
2. Luke Davies-Uniacke
3. Jaidyn Stephenson
4. Paddy Dow
5. Charlie Constable
6. Adam Cerra
7. Nick Coffield
8. Sam Hayes
9. Aaron Naughton
10. Darcy Fogarty
11. Aiden Bonar
12. Jack Higgins
13. Andrew Brayshaw
14. Jarrod Brander
15. Hunter Clark
16. Nathan Murphy
17. Oscar Allen
18. Patrick Naish
19. Ed Richards
20. Noah Balta
21. Connor Ballenden
22. Matthew Ling
23. Joel Garner
24. Jordan Houlahan
25. Lochie O'Brien
Would have thought after his performance in the U18 GF and his testing that Miers might have snuck into the top 25. If we had a spare pick he is definitely one I reckon we should look at for a small forward option. Has the motor to play midfield.

he is only 26 trengrove........is that important in calculations?

he is only 26 trengrove........is that important in calculations?
Yes. Age and terms of contract. Which is why I think it doesn't truly reflect the quality of the player, only what teams will pay for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have two picks after our pick 12 and before our pick 18. Picks 15 & 17.
Richmond are the team that I think could pull the trigger and bid on Connor Ballenden with pick 17, now that would be a pain in the you know what. Getting pick 19 for Rocky would soften the blow though.

A "no talls taken" top 10 really impacts the value of our pick 12 to us. Ideally for us, the likes of Fogarty, Hayes, Bander and Naughton are all gone prior to pick 12.

A somewhat random "no tall" top 10 could look something like this?

1. LDU
2. Dow
3. Rayner
4. Stephenson
5. Cerra
6. Coffield
7. Brayshaw
8. Higgins
9. Clark
10. Bonar

It doesn't leave us completely bereft of options at pick 12, depending on what we perceive we need and who we like. But, ideally, teams like Freo and Collingwood take taller players, pushing that list down a bit.

It just reinforces my view that I'd love to get our hands on one of those St Kilda picks if at all possible. We then take away the risk of selecting a less preferred option.

A "no talls taken" top 10 really impacts the value of our pick 12 to us. Ideally for us, the likes of Fogarty, Hayes, Bander and Naughton are all gone prior to pick 12.

A somewhat random "no tall" top 10 could look something like this?

1. LDU
2. Dow
3. Rayner
4. Stephenson
5. Cerra
6. Coffield
7. Brayshaw
8. Higgins
9. Clark
10. Bonar

It doesn't leave us completely bereft of options at pick 12, depending on what we perceive we need and who we like. But, ideally, teams like Freo and Collingwood take taller players, pushing that list down a bit.

It just reinforces my view that I'd love to get our hands on one of those St Kilda picks if at all possible. We then take away the risk of selecting a less preferred option.
Looking at that list I would be pretty confident that one of Bonar, Clark or Brayshaw would slip to pick 12.

Picks 12 and 18 are worth 2253 points, pick 7 is worth 1644, you would think the Saints would be very open to that sort of deal.

Scenario 1- Go to the draft with picks 1, 12, 18 and 19, we just got to hope no one bids on Ballenden before 18.
Scenario 2- Go to the draft with picks 1, 7 and 19, again hoping for no Ballenden bid.

Personally I would prefer scenario 1.

Looking at that list I would be pretty confident that one of Bonar, Clark or Brayshaw would slip to pick 12.

Picks 12 and 18 are worth 2253 points, pick 7 is worth 1644, you would think the Saints would be very open to that sort of deal.

Scenario 1- Go to the draft with picks 1, 12, 18 and 19, we just got to hope no one bids on Ballenden before 18.
Scenario 2- Go to the draft with picks 1, 7 and 19, again hoping for no Ballenden bid.

You may well be right in terms of a player slipping. It is a risk though, albeit that the risk may be lower if we perceive guys like Constable as being of equivalent worth to the players I listed. If we see the "tier
2 midfielders" as being fairly deep and even, it lessens the need to trade into the top 10.

In any event, I'd much rather scenario 2. Pick 7 is a high quality pick in any draft and I think we can afford to take quality rather than quantity this year.

Scenario 2 you would have to get a lower pick as well as 7 otherwise no deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back