kingross29

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
St.George, Boston Celtics
If this is a fairly strong draft why don't we trade away our 2018 1st pick and try and speed up our rebuilding?

Would anyone be against trading our 2018 1st pick for Richmond's pick 15 and 17 this year?
Would Richmond accept that?
Would another team?
Could we trade it for a pick the in 8-10 range this year?

What would you accept for our 1st Pick next year?

This would get us 3 picks in the top 20 plus whatever else we net from trades. I guess we have to do this late so other teams like GWS (for Wilson) don't try and take one of these picks.

Knowing our luck, we'd trade it for picks #17 and #35 - then come last next year and realise that we gave away the #1 pick for the equivalent of Tim Ruffles and Casey Sibosado.

If this is a fairly strong draft why don't we trade away our 2018 1st pick and try and speed up our rebuilding?

Would anyone be against trading our 2018 1st pick for Richmond's pick 15 and 17 this year?
Would another team?

This would get us 3 picks in the top 20 plus whatever else we net from trades. I guess we have to do this late so other teams like GWS (for Wilson) don't try and take one of these picks.
This year isn't the strong draft - next year is.

If we trade in Hogan this year, then we possibly won't have next years pick anyway.

Without Hogan, who knows, we could have pick 2 - or 12. If we don't trade in Hogan this year, we will need that pick next year for a KPF in a draft supposedly filled with KPF talent - or as trade bait (again) for Hogan next year, so we'd best be keeping that in our pocket til then. If we gave away pick 2 (shouldn't be, but who knows), we are giving away our best oportunity for an elite KPF draftee that we have had access to for a looooong time and if we rise up the ladder, won't have access to for a looooong time.

tldr "No".

If we trade in Hogan this year, then we possibly won't have next years pick anyway.

Without Hogan, who knows, we could have pick 2 - or 12. If we don't trade in Hogan this year, we will need that pick next year for a KPF in a draft supposedly filled with KPF talent - or as trade bait (again) for Hogan next year, so we'd best be keeping that in our pocket til then. If we gave away pick 2 (shouldn't be, but who knows), we are giving away our best oportunity for an elite KPF draftee that we have had access to for a looooong time and if we rise up the ladder, won't have access to for a looooong time.

tldr "No".

This, wouldn't consider trading it for anyone other than Hogan.

To be fair to the doubters, look up highlights of Max King, Jack Lukosious (especially his SANFL league debut in a final) and Izak Rankine.
These three in particular just seem incredible talents (I'm especially keen on the second two). This isnt even taking into account the likes of Ian Hill from WA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems strong teams like the Geelong team (late 00's) was built around taking and nailing a good batch of players all in the one draft. I'm surprised that a rebuilding team hasn't traded next years 1st and 2nd round picks for the current year's and just roll the dice. A team like North trading there 1st 2018 draft pick for a 7-10 or a 15 and 17, and then trading 2018 2nd round pick for 2 mid second round picks. Load up in the 1 draft, then trade established players that aren't going to be there for the rebuild in an attempt to get some picks back the following year. Will we ever see a strategy like this?

tldr "No".
Big call I know but I would prefer Naughton and Allen re two picks to Hogan

When was the last time our first round pick did well? Hilly is not that great.

Logue in 2018 was amazing, break-out season. He was the pillar of our back-line. The shift into the midfield towards the end of the season really showed his individual game which was structurally confined in 2017. I think we'll see him in the leadership group in 2020.

Would another team?

Ok.... I want you to think this through very carefully....

Freo back in 2001 traded picks 1, 20 and 36 for Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin. Hawks used pick 1 on luke Hodge and 36 on sam Mitchell. those 2 helped the hawks beat us in the 2013 GF. Trent Croad went back to the hawks after 2 years. We got laughed at for many years because of that.

The 2018 draft like the 2001 draft is a very good draft and you want to trade out 2018 1st rounder away?

Logue in 2018 was amazing, break-out season. He was the pillar of our back-line. The shift into the midfield towards the end of the season really showed his individual game which was structurally confined in 2017. I think we'll see him in the leadership group in 2020.

Logue normally would have had only a few games. Was very average. Him and others, for the most part, it was about giving them games not whether they were good enough to be in the side.

Hill solid week in week out. And may even get better towards the end of his career. Any player likely to get over 200 or more games is "great".

I like what you did there - beautiful future-state frame

Remove this Banner Ad

Back