Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
bugger. Hope things improve for you soon.
In better news
Today I got the call I wanted
A call to say yes, here's your new career welcome aboard
I've been in the same job for 24 years but I suppose making changes in life or having them forced upon you gives you the chance to go for what you wanted
I can now happily resign and start afresh
Next chapter in life in just about to open

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
In better news
Today I got the call I wanted
A call to say yes, here's your new career welcome aboard
I've been in the same job for 24 years but I suppose making changes in life or having them forced upon you gives you the chance to go for what you wanted
I can now happily resign and start afresh
Next chapter in life in just about to open
awesome news. Thanks for sharing. I really hope this is the start of better days for you and your kids

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
your breakdown may become a real turning point for your life for the better, because hopefully it means you will find the help you need. Mental illness makes you feel alone, unusual, and like the only person struggling while everyone else has it all together. But this couldnt be further from the truth. There are so many people out there who have battled, or are battling mental illness. I spoke up to many of my colleagues about my struggles, and surprise surprise many of them had similar battles, even those I thought were near perfect. Feeling isolated is part of the lies that mental illness tells us. It says "look at you, you're the only abnormal one, everyone else is better, smarter, and more worthy than you". Dont believe it. It's all lies. You are worthy, you are normal in your struggles, you are loved, you are perfectly imperfect.

All the best. Please keep us posted, we want to hear how you're going. We're all here for each other. That goes for everyone on here too.

Today I have felt a tiny bit better, I have a job interview with Optus and passed a uni assignment. None the less just gathering support from my girlfriend would be fantastic to try and get the anxiety off my chest.

Love the last line, I'm here if anybody needs :)

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Today I have felt a tiny bit better, I have a job interview with Optus and passed a uni assignment. None the less just gathering support from my girlfriend would be fantastic to try and get the anxiety off my chest.

glad your day was better. And helping others is one of the best things one can do for your own mental health. It works wonders for me

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I caught up with a life long friend recently, also a Tiger supporter, who is going through similar issues as me and we both agreed that our relationships with our fathers is basically non-existent. It was incredibly difficult to comprehend when Dusty gave his Brownlow speech and he spoke about the love between him and his old man (which I do not begrudge him of in any way). Sadly it just isn't the case for many of us.

Today has really driven it home for me: my old man just can't stand to see me experience any joy whatsoever. I only saw him for the second time this year (only lives two hours away) when he came down for my daughters birthday last weekend and all he wanted to do was talk up his own team's finals history and the usual "ha ha Richmond supporters life time of pain" crap. Today not even a text message of congratulations.
Congratulations.
I'm the opposite. I have a terrible relationship with my mum. I stopped talking to her for several years. I am learning to love her and except she is human too. I in no way accept her poor behavior but I can feel compassion for her as I can see she is 1 messed up little girl who has her own parental issues.
By letting her go, finding forgiveness in my heart I am also letting go of my anger, guilt, shame and despair.
I try to remember, bad behavior represents unhappiness. Dont take anything personally.

How'd the interview go mate? Got through it in one piece?

Thanks for asking mate

I didn't get the job unfortunately, I thought my interview was decent with the answers I gave, although the questions were difficult to answer :(
Awesome you got one & had that experience though mate. Will hold you in good stead for the next one. You've done one more online interview than I have in my life anyway! :thumbsu:

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
Awesome you got one & had that experience though mate. Will hold you in good stead for the next one. You've done one more online interview than I have in my life anyway! :thumbsu:

haha! Thank you! I would've loved to get a job since Uni is finishing soon and need the cash. But I will learn from my mistakes :)

vmasco

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2012
Thereabouts
AFL Club
Richmond
Congratulations.
I'm the opposite. I have a terrible relationship with my mum. I stopped talking to her for several years. I am learning to love her and except she is human too. I in no way accept her poor behavior but I can feel compassion for her as I can see she is 1 messed up little girl who has her own parental issues.
By letting her go, finding forgiveness in my heart I am also letting go of my anger, guilt, shame and despair.
I try to remember, bad behavior represents unhappiness. Dont take anything personally.
Thanks mighty, I appreciate what you are saying - It must take a massive amount of inner strength to reach that point of forgiveness. I'm just not ready to do so yet, even though as you say it can allow the release of so much turmoil.

And to make matters worse the job I started back in August has turned out to be a nightmare with the place swarming with egos and narcissists who seem to be only interested in big-noting themselves rather than getting the best out of each other.

A friend told me a quote recently along the lines of the universe will keep handing us lessons and if we don't get it the lessons will come with harsher consequences until we do learn. I know I'm a stubborn campaigner (thanks a million Dad:rolleyes:) and I'm obviously not getting it cos I'm getting absolutely smacked around at the moment.:(

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks mighty, I appreciate what you are saying - It must take a massive amount of inner strength to reach that point of forgiveness. I'm just not ready to do so yet, even though as you say it can allow the release of so much turmoil.

And to make matters worse the job I started back in August has turned out to be a nightmare with the place swarming with egos and narcissists who seem to be only interested in big-noting themselves rather than getting the best out of each other.

A friend told me a quote recently along the lines of the universe will keep handing us lessons and if we don't get it the lessons will come with harsher consequences until we do learn. I know I'm a stubborn campaigner (thanks a million Dad:rolleyes:) and I'm obviously not getting it cos I'm getting absolutely smacked around at the moment.:(
I think all of us on here are getting smacked in life at the moment
That's why we come on here with like minded people who, although not knowing each other, are connected because of our struggles
I find that it's just great to have others listen then I don't feel so alone

Mixed feeling on what she said last night....
To be harshly honest with you mate, the most important person is you. You need to ensure you do what is right for you. It's your health, it's your body, it's your mind. Obviously she is an important part of that but at the end of the day you need to ensure, no matter what, you allow yourself to focus on what's best for you.

It sounds a little harsh but I wish I had that advice 5,10 or 15odd years ago.

None-the-less, how did she take it (if you don't mind me asking)? No need to respond if you don't wish to discuss either. All good. :thumbsu:

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC

Hey buddy. It's a work in progress for me. But to be around the old girl (on my terms) and not losing my cool is a start. Work sux when you are around those types of people.
There is a book called the power of now. I tried reading it but see if you can get the audio for it. Gives you a perspective on other people's (and our own) poor behavior and how to not let it get to you in a negative way. It changed my life for the better.
Peace and love mate.

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Best thread on this site and one I wish I’d opened far sooner. So good to see guys supporting each other. I come here to chat about footy, I guess partly because I’m lonely at times and sometimes the negativity, shitfights and trolling don’t exactly inspire.

Been a tough couple of years and just as I thought I was coming out the other side it’s got tough again the last few days.

Stay strong all of you doing it tough and thank you for everyone sharing their struggles in this thread and commenting to try and offer a helping hand. Actually helps tonight reading all your comments, the tough ones and the support.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I work in a place very similar to what your describing. It's run like a school, where the more you suck arse and dob others in, then your recognised in a good way. Rather than helping each other, it's pretty much a divide and conquer attitude. The union rep is a leading hand, that goes round telling her members that they should be grateful for having a job, the entire place is a joke. Unfortunately they do pay well. Only reason why I'm there.
At the moment I'm in negotiations to buy my own business with an ex work colleague. But to pay back the loan for the business will probably have stay in my dead end job for another couple years. Patience may be a virtue. But it's stuffed!

I work in a place very similar to what your describing. It's run like a school, where the more you suck arse and dob others in, then your recognised in a good way. Rather than helping each other, it's pretty much a divide and conquer attitude. The union rep is a leading hand, that goes round telling her members that they should be grateful for having a job, the entire place is a joke. Unfortunately they do pay well. Only reason why I'm there.
At the moment I'm in negotiations to buy my own business with an ex work colleague. But to pay back the loan for the business will probably have stay in my dead end job for another couple years. Patience may be a virtue. But it's stuffed!
Government?

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol. Try a big company. Have worked for the federal government previously though. It's actually not that bad.

Back