News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Swings and roundabouts. Losing rocky has the potential to lose us a few as well.
Interesting point. I know Brisbane is a fickle market for AFL but do many people really make their membership decisions based on the club's recruitment policies, albeit those involving high profile players like Rockliff and Hodge? I would have thought any impact would be miniscule compared with team performance and results. It's not as if we have sacked Rocky or trashed his name; we just won't pay him more than what we think he's worth.

Benjarman11

Debutant
Jan 10, 2009
Heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is kind of an awkward feeling for a Hawthorn fan..
Part of me is happy that I get to see my favorite all-time player(and greatest leader I've ever seen) play another season or so.
It will just feel wrong seeing him in another teams jumper though.
But i certainly wish him all the best and will be supporting the Lions in non Hawthorn games.
I have no doubt you will be a better team with Luke and not just for his leadership- He played some seriously good football
in the middle part of the year this year and if it's a close game- just watch him take control.
Good luck to Luke and the Lions!

Interesting point. I know Brisbane is a fickle market for AFL but do many people really make their membership decisions based on the club's recruitment policies, albeit those involving high profile players like Rockliff and Hodge? I would have thought any impact would be miniscule compared with team performance and results. It's not as if we have sacked Rocky or trashed his name; we just won't pay him more than what we think he's worth.

I'm basing that comment on stuff my son is seeing on different social media. No idea where but apparently members venting. maybe people are sick of losing and looking for a reason not to pay up again. Lord knows I'm sick of it and I'm rusted on.

My personal feeling is if he is leaving for years on offer great but I will be uncomfortable if its just extra $ over a 3 year period. If Fagan has been talking him up this year just to make getting rid of him easier he isn't the man I think he is. Yes, it's a fair business tactic but footy clubs are not just a business and what I value about Fagan is his ability to connect with the players and build a great culture.

We have cap space particularly with the increase in player payments and rocky really isn't going to be around when we are in finals - next year is going to be tough, then i expect progression over the following 2 and magic after that. So a 3 year contract is fine. Shoulders are very difficult.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Moving Rocky on will certainly divide supporters though... he is still seen by many as the heart and soul of the club.
He may be seen that way , but sometimes things are not always as they seem .

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
I see Rocky's side - if reports are accurate he's going to be putting plenty of $$ away for his retirement and family by going elsewhere. But it sounds like we offered a fair deal. A percentage of players are mercenary and if $$ is why you play AFL then you'll no doubt bounce from club to club. I wonder where the 50 game wonder Lever will end up if Melbourne don't make him their highest paid player in a few years time?

I totally support the Crows refusal to make Lever their highest paid player. Unreasonable demands - and the kind of behaviour that will cost a club other players down the track if they were to do it. I see the Demons heading for real salary cap issues.

Plenty of players would LOVE a 3 year, $1.8M contract being put to them. If Rocky and Port think he's worth more, then they can roll the dice. 100% back the Lions in sticking with a fair offer.

I want Hodge just as much as anyone else but that is disgusting... how can we offer Rocky similar cash to Hodge? THat's a very expensive 'coach' who will be lucky to get 10-15 games next year.

So what if the 500K per year is if he plays all 22 games? So if he only plays the suggested ten games, then that's only $230k a year.

Just thinking out loud, nothing factual.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is kind of an awkward feeling for a Hawthorn fan..
Part of me is happy that I get to see my favorite all-time player(and greatest leader I've ever seen) play another season or so.
It will just feel wrong seeing him in another teams jumper though.
But i certainly wish him all the best and will be supporting the Lions in non Hawthorn games.
I have no doubt you will be a better team with Luke and not just for his leadership- He played some seriously good football
in the middle part of the year this year and if it's a close game- just watch him take control.
Good luck to Luke and the Lions!

I imagine it is going to mighty strange for Luke too, when he pulls on our jumper.....will feel weird and disloyal I would think for a little while. Only natural.

..but then again our jumper is very impressive, so he might feel very comfortable and flash!;)

Benjarman11

Debutant
Jan 10, 2009
Heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I imagine it is going to mighty strange for Luke too, when he pulls on our jumper.....will feel weird and disloyal I would think for a little while. Only natural.

..but then again our jumper is very impressive, so he might feel very comfortable and flash!;)
Flashier than this?

3b0a5e185f035089aadecd0c99222183

Membership numbers jumped up to over 30000 when 'Fev' come on board.
But then again we did win an elimination final the year before.

Seriously doubt that.

Disagree. I don't doubt that there'll be a few punters out there who don't pay a heap of attention to the Lions who'll see Rocky leave, an ex-captain and possession magnet, and not buy a membership because they think it guarantees we'll be s**t next year.

However those people are also the same that will come back once we start moving back up the ladder.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disagree. I don't doubt that there'll be a few punters out there who don't pay a heap of attention to the Lions who'll see Rocky leave, an ex-captain and possession magnet, and not buy a membership because they think it guarantees we'll be s**t next year.

However those people are also the same that will come back once we start moving back up the ladder.

If the don't pay much attention to the club they will hardly see him as the heart and soul of the club and considered the club split down the middle as a result of him leaving. To be honest we are so irrelevant in Brisbane I'd be surprised if people who don't pay attention even realize he was removed of the captaincy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back