Should Interstate Clubs Sell Home Games To Play At The MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely looked at the fixture all year as a Melbourne based club member I got hosed on the chance to watch the Crows live....I never said more games at the MCG above...just more games in Melbourne.
Ok. You played GC, Brisbane and WCE as away games in other States. You didn't travel to NSW at all this season.
Yes, there were 2 more possible games in Melbourne - V's Dees & Roos, which were sold to Tas & NT.

Ok. You played GC, Brisbane and WCE as away games in other States. You didn't travel to NSW at all this season.
Yes, there were 2 more possible games in Melbourne - V's Dees & Roos, which were sold to Tas & NT.

Simple. Get the Victorian teams to play more interstate teams.

You think the eagles had no input on the new perth stadium? Geelong had nothing to say about the redevelopment at skilled?

They certainly would of had some input in regards to size so they can have more demand than supply and can keep fleecing their members, but they certainly didn’t put a cent in.
They sure as hell will pull plenty out though.

Damn we did manage not to go NSW this year...made an error in earlier post. I'd be happy with those 2 back in Melbourne....that's nearly 50% more than we got this season.

There should not be a need, simply play Away games against Melbourne, North, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton at the G.

You make way too much sense. I'd settle for just in Melbourne.

This might sound like a ridiculous idea but would you be happy for your club to sell 1 or 2 home games a year to play on the MCG?

If I followed a club (even Melbourne based) who did not play home games at the MCG I would be more then happy doing this knowing if you made the GF you were a greater chance of winning rhe biggest game of the year.

There is no doubt by doing this your win/loss may be affected negatively but i think the Pro's out way the Con's.

Thoughts?
Yes they should

Simple. Get the Victorian teams to play more interstate teams.
They do. They play them at least once each. Sometimes, they also get to play them a second time.

Or are you suggesting that interstate teams don't play any other interstate team except Victorian teams? They just play Victorian teams twice (20 games), and then 2 showdowns (to make 22 game season)?

Or, are you suggesting all Vic teams only play interstate teams once as the away team (10 games), and then each interstate team play other State teams once (6 games), 2 showdowns (2 games), and then schedule another 4 return games from a list of 16 teams (which could be interstate teams or Vic teams!). Hmm. A maximum of 4 games in Melbourne only, but most likely only one or two, and a chance that Etihad is the stadium.
And, if you work through the logic, how many home games does each interstate team get? a minimum of 12, and a maximum of 18 ?? The interstate teams will fight among yourselves about this...

Damn we did manage not to go NSW this year...made an error in earlier post. I'd be happy with those 2 back in Melbourne....that's nearly 50% more than we got this season.
Win some, lose some. But i'm sure all the Crows supporters in NT and Tassie would have been THRILLED to see their team live..;)

Win some, lose some. But i'm sure all the Crows supporters in NT and Tassie would have been THRILLED to see their team live..;)

Oh especially that first quarter in Hobart

They do. They play them at least once each. Sometimes, they also get to play them a second time.

Or are you suggesting that interstate teams don't play any other interstate team except Victorian teams? They just play Victorian teams twice (20 games), and then 2 showdowns (to make 22 game season)?

Or, are you suggesting all Vic teams only play interstate teams once as the away team (10 games), and then each interstate team play other State teams once (6 games), 2 showdowns (2 games), and then schedule another 4 return games from a list of 16 teams (which could be interstate teams or Vic teams!). Hmm. A maximum of 4 games in Melbourne only, but most likely only one or two, and a chance that Etihad is the stadium.
And, if you work through the logic, how many home games does each interstate team get? a minimum of 12, and a maximum of 18 ?? The interstate teams will fight among yourselves about this...

By nature Victorian teams playing more interstate sides means more interstate sides will be playing in Melbourne which means they will play more at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 games minimum for non vic clubs at the G

Or 5 over 2 years. It gets ridiculous when some clubs only get one chance there some years and others get 3

Should be a minimum number for non-MCG tenants - not just the non-Vic clubs
So, this season, this is how many MCG games each interstate team played..
Adl 3
Bne 2
Fre 2
GC 1
GWS 1
Port 2
Syd 4
WC 2

So only GWS & GC played one, the rest are on track. So, only a slight change will see you happy? And your club is tracking as you want them to...

By nature Victorian teams playing more interstate sides means more interstate sides will be playing in Melbourne which means they will play more at the MCG.

Im being pedantic but all non Victorian clubs play 20 interstate teams a year.

Seems like interstate clubs are being idiots by not renovating their grounds to MCG proportions when doing major renos

West Coast's new training ground has 2 ovals - 1 the exact same size as the MCG and 1 the exact same size as the new Perth Stadium.

I don't know why clubs haven't done this sooner.

Im being pedantic but all non Victorian clubs play 20 interstate teams a year.
Well, easy solution.. get another 8 teams in your state.... See if they can each generate 50,000 members each, equal sponsorship, etc etc..

They only have 1 other team in their state, unless you want them to play with themselves* 18 times a year ..

(**Sorry.. Bad choice of words)

West Coast's new training ground has 2 ovals - 1 the exact same size as the MCG and 1 the exact same size as the new Perth Stadium.

I don't know why clubs haven't done this sooner.

I reckon Adelaide will next year.

Well, easy solution.. get another 8 teams in your state.... See if they can each generate 50,000 members each, equal sponsorship, etc etc..

They only have 1 other team in their state, unless you want them to play with themselves* 18 times a year ..

(**Sorry.. Bad choice of words)

Glenelg v Collingwood....new Anzac blockbuster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back