News Charlie and the Lions Factory - the Everlasting Charlie Cameron Trade Thread

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We don't know what the situation is....FWIW, I can't see Adelaide not trading

That's the exact point I was making when replying to the post 'it's really simple either we take him this year and they get compensation or we take him next year and they get nothing.' My point was it's not that simple or straight forward at all. There are any number of different scenarios to play out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No, it highlights how misleading stats are.

Cameron is significantly more valuable than Barrett.

If we offered Barrett and pick 18 for Cameron, or pick 19 straight up, the Crows would take the latter.

No not necessarily. Stats don't show how much quicker and better defensively Cameron is agreed.

But it definitely highlights the lack of scoring and efficiency the Cameron has. Keep in mind Barrett is playing at the Lions. Ball inside 50 is often woeful. Charlie had silver service at Adelaide. So you could argue the discrepancy between Barrett and Cameron will be even greater at the Lions.

No one is arguing Barrett is a Pick 19, not even close. Highly unlikely you would get anything for him. But, while Cameron is better, he is definitely not worth that either. The forums are going to light up in here, when he doesn't make the distance from 40m next year

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No not necessarily. Stats don't show how much quicker and better defensively Cameron is agreed.

But it definitely highlights the lack of scoring and efficiency the Cameron has. Keep in mind Barrett is playing at the Lions. Ball inside 50 is often woeful. Charlie had silver service at Adelaide. So you could argue the discrepancy between Barrett and Cameron will be even greater at the Lions.

No one is arguing Barrett is a Pick 19, not even close. Highly unlikely you would get anything for him. But, while Cameron is better, he is definitely not worth that either. The forums are going to light up in here, when he doesn't make the distance from 40m next year

Dodongo is in love.

Fitzroy bears

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He doesn't have Cameron's lightning speed nor his defensive running. Barrett is a great tackler but l think it is like Rocky's tackling numbers. Tackles when he is close but Cameron runs chases and tackles players
If he tackles enough though, he creates perceived pressure. As others have said you need multiple pressure players in modern footy, Cameron will add to the mix and feed and create from perceived pressure created by others. Barrett may not be the elite all round footballer that we all want but there are 22 field positions( including the bench) and a salary cap, you can not have 22 elite footballers and stay under the cap with a list of 45. Every team needs capable role players to form an elite TEAM. Where we are at as a team atm, he ( barrett)is a capable role player that fills a need even if cameron comes to us.

Fitzroy bears

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's it!

Back in the day, I had a cousin 8 years my junior who started school in 1967.

Those "cuisenaire" rods were state of the art at the time.
That started to sound like one of those riddles where you have to work out the guys age.

64?

Edit: I am really sorry if I am way off base with my guess luthor:)

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
That's it!

Back in the day, I had a cousin 8 years my junior who started school in 1967.

Those "cuisenaire" rods were state of the art at the time.

Did people whinge back then about them turning kids into idiots like people whinge about calculators now?

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he tackles enough though, he creates perceived pressure. As others have said you need multiple pressure players in modern footy, Cameron will add to the mix and feed and create from perceived
That started to sound like one of those riddles where you have to work out the guys age.

64?

Edit: I am really sorry if I am way off base with my guess luthor:)

Dodongo likes 69

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Enough of slates and rods!

Back to the topic.

I'm hoping this trade gets sorted in the next few weeks so this thread doesn't indeed become "everlasting"

My gut feeling is that it'll get done for 18 or 19. Those arguing that this is 'overs" need to bear in mind that he's a contracted player

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he tackles enough though, he creates perceived pressure. As others have said you need multiple pressure players in modern footy, Cameron will add to the mix and feed and create from perceived pressure created by others. Barrett may not be the elite all round footballer that we all want but there are 22 field positions( including the bench) and a salary cap, you can not have 22 elite footballers and stay under the cap with a list of 45. Every team needs capable role players to form an elite TEAM. Where we are at as a team atm, he ( barrett)is a capable role player that fills a need even if cameron comes to us.
I reckon Barrett and Cameron are playing the same position. Will be one or the other in the team imo

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jackess's whipping boy? ;)
927AB656-DD4A-43AC-861E-CB2D215839EF.gif

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Did people whinge back then about them turning kids into idiots like people whinge about calculators now?

Not so much whinging but scepticism about new fangled ways being no better than the previously accepted ways of doing things.

The age old thing where paradigm shifts are more readily embraced by youngsters than the oldies

Enough of slates and rods!

Back to the topic.

I'm hoping this trade gets sorted in the next few weeks so this thread doesn't indeed become "everlasting"

My gut feeling is that it'll get done for 18 or 19. Those arguing that this is 'overs" need to bear in mind that he's a contracted player

I've still got my slide rule.

SRH17

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I grew up playing with Cuisenaire rods at home and we also used them at school when were learning our basic mathematics!
My mum reckoned I was so bad at maths that I would need them to work out my bus fare when I was old enough to go to work. She wasn’t far wrong.

charles202

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've really cooled on the Cameron trade idea, a top 20 pick is overs plus the Crows will be a pain to trade this year as they will want to win the trade due to the Lever fiasco.

While Barrett has already been mentioned Cox is another who could fill that role withy Bundy back and Squizy and Zorko also rotating through that should be enough.

I would like to have Cameron but I would like the top 20 pick in a year where we won't be competing anyway more

Might be just me but I don't see Cox and Cameron as being all that similar and think they project to play very different roles in the future.

Me either, in fact if anything I'd say they will have great synergy. Cox starting from the back pocket pushing up to the forward flank at times during the game and Cameron starting in the forward pocket working up to the back flank.

The more I think about our team with them both in it the more I salivate!

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tom Rehn on SEN today, the Crows could ask for Brisbane's 1st round pick next year for Charlie Cameron.

Terry "dipstick" Wallace saying we should give up our pick 14 (he meant 12) for Cameron.

cannot-handle-the-hysterical-laughter.gif
1st round pick? You mean like pick 1-5? Why would he be worth a hell of a lot more next year when uncontracted than this year?

1st round pick? You mean like pick 1-5? Why would he be worth a hell of a lot more next year when uncontracted than this year?
I think he means we give it up this year, to get him now. (Future pick)
It is all just typical Wallace fluff, if he wanted to get to the bulldogs he would be a 3rd round pick.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think he means we give it up this year, to get him now. (Future pick)
It is all just typical Wallace fluff, if he wanted to get to the bulldogs he would be a 3rd round pick.
It was definitely suggested that they go after our 1st round pick in the 2018 "super draft". Tom Rhen reaching Barrett levels of flogishness.

Wallet did say just get him now and give up our pick 12 this year. That is just standard level list manager flogishness from Terry.

Back