Who is the best tackler in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

As the title asks, who is the AFLs best tackler? There's no poll here as I would like it to be an open discussion and I understand my own biases.

Remember; this isn't a question of who lays the most tackles, it's a question of the players whose tackles have the most impact. A few things to think about when considering this question:

- Efficiency, tackles landed vs attempted
- Impact, how often do the tackles force a holding or incorrect disposal decision
- Excitement, run down tackles etc
- Strength, how easily are the tackles broken

As a Hawthorn supporter I've had the pleasure to watch Paul Puopolo and Cyril Rioli over premiership years, and for my money there aren't many better than those two. Rioli in particular is one of the few players I've seen who has consistently taken down Martin, Ablett and the like - his technique and reflexes are insane.

Probably whoever laid the most tackles this year...

"Remember; this isn't a question of who lays the most tackles, it's a question of the players whose tackles have the most impact."

It's fantastic for someone to average 10 tackles a game in the midfield, but if they get nothing from them it's not as good as someone who averages 4-5 tackles a game with a couple resulting in holding decisions in front of goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Technique is brilliant and he makes them stick. He's a human vice grip.

And he just so happens to be the most prolific tackler in the game, too. Averaged 10.71 tackles per game in 75.43% gametime this season, with the next best being Jack Steele with 7.90 per game in 75.60% gametime.

Cyril would be up there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back