Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In case anyone interested, I've added Brett Anderson to this. Waiting for Knightmare etc to do their next updates... but for now...

Not sure if you saw this one unplugged?

I have NFI who the guys are that put this together (or if they know their ass from their elbow) but here’s another Phantom Draft to throw into the mix:

http://footyprophet.com/2017-afl-draft-rankings-fp-teams-consensus-top-20/

The individual orders used to get the one above are also available:
http://footyprophet.com/big-draft-board/

Like Mongo, NFI about how much these guys would know though...

Maybe. I just don’t see us taking Coffield. He seems to be like Laverde in ‘14 to me, not that he’s the same type of player but he’s the one that we’re being linked to externally and the board seems to have a hard on for.

If past form is anything to go by we’ll select a Balta or the like who are expected to go in the teens right now based on their ceiling rather than their consistency over the year. What’s Baltas birthday? If he has a late birthday you can just about guarantee that Hine will have a massive chubby for him.
I'd also be looking at which prospective draftees have played some senior footy as either Hine or Rendell seems to value this. Shaz & Aish are two that come to mind that had this before being drafted.

I'd also be looking at which prospective draftees have played some senior footy as either Hine or Rendell seems to value this. Shaz & Aish are two that come to mind that had this before being drafted.
Fogarty ticks that box. Not sure which Vic prospects have played 23rd man in the VFL but I’d imagine there would be quite a few.

I'd go for Bonar personally. I know there's a few people here that love Balta, and he certainly appeals in many ways, but the big thing that I keep thinking about is his decision making. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed and sometimes that reflects in his football. I wouldn't be unhappy to draft Balta, but I can just picture in a few years if he becomes a key defender he will become a whipping boy because if said decision making. Better up the ground through the middle.

Bonar for me on exposed form is 20-25 but in a draft that lacks X-factor (exclude Rayner, Johnston, etc.), he could become a top two player if he stays fit. His scope is very, very high and while I think #6 is a huge risk, for me we tend to go into our shells a little and not take those risks that the Dogs (Bont) or Cats (Cockatoo) take. By all means sometimes they don't pay off, but if they do, you're laughing.
Just a note, Bontempelli was our pick preference but Footscray (or whatever they call themselves these days) pounced before us.
Was reported quite early doors pre draft.

And I think Bont would have been handy :) even if it meant I missed out on my great love the Berger boy.

Still rather Coffield.
Why not both.

Be a very handy draft

Balta, Coffield.

How we manage that, hmmmm, I will leave that to the pre manoeuvres

Smartspeed 20-metre sprint
Jack Petruccelle 2.87 seconds
Kane Farrell 2.90
Aiden Bonar 2.90
Ben Miller 2.91
Nick Coffield 2.91
Ben Paton 2.95
Brent Daniels 2.95
Stefan Okunbar 2.95
Jaidyn Stephenson 2.95
Nicholas Shipley 2.97

Smartspeed agility test
Kane Farrell 8.10 seconds
Ben Miller 8.10
Brent Daniels 8.11
Trent Mynott 8.20
Nathan Kreuger 8.21
Aaron Naughton 8.22
Mitchell Podhajski 8.26
Oscar Allen 8.27
Stefan Okunbar 8.29
Matthew Ling 8.30
Callan England 8.30
Aiden Bonar 8.30
Andrew Brayshaw 8.30

Standing vertical jump
Aiden Bonar 89cm
Kyron Hayden 82cm
Ben Paton 80cm
Harrison Jones 79cm
Jordan Houlahan 77cm
Jordan Johnston 75cm
Jack Petruccelle 74cm
Noah Balta 74cm
Adam Sambono 73cm
Hayden McLean 73cm

Running vertical jump
Kyron Hayden 103cm
Kane Farrell 95cm
Jordan Houlahan 95cm
Hayden McLean 92cm
Noah Balta 89cm
Harrison Jones 88cm
Oscar Allen 88cm
Tom McCartin 88cm
Matthew Day 87cm
Nathan Kreuger 87cm

Something's not right here, Bonar records 89cm standing vertical but less than that for running vertical? He definitely tested though, there's a video on the web page if him doing it.

Anyone know if Brent Daniels is related to Dogs Caleb? Brent tested well in sprint, agility and yo-yo but is only 172cm so if has similar pedigree to Caleb would be worth a later pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is O'Brien so low on everyone's rankings - about the best kick in the draft, good pace and good tank. Seems value if he's still there at 20 in this draft.

Any chance we rate Ballenden? KPD with elite kicking.

Been working in Brisbane's academy which has produced some good players. Won the kicking test designed by Bucks with a perfect score.

Seems like just what we need. Any chance we take him at 6 and if so would the Lions match?

Any chance we rate Ballenden? KPD with elite kicking.

Been working in Brisbane's academy which has produced some good players. Won the kicking test designed by Bucks with a perfect score.

Seems like just what we need. Any chance we take him at 6 and if so would the Lions match?

There's certainly a chance we rate him, but the Lions won't let him slip through. If we keep 6 I wouldn't object to bidding on him.

Why is O'Brien so low on everyone's rankings - about the best kick in the draft, good pace and good tank. Seems value if he's still there at 20 in this draft.
Simple answer = Can't handle a tag, or use said kick under pressure.

I love what he CAN do, but it's what he CAN'T do under pressure/when the game situation changes that concerns me (and probably recruiters). Has a weapon of a left foot though.

Anyone know if Brent Daniels is related to Dogs Caleb? Brent tested well in sprint, agility and yo-yo but is only 172cm so if has similar pedigree to Caleb would be worth a later pick.
As someone said, different surnames, so no.

But it's kind of funny because if you look at Daniels, he looks like a mini Dane Swan in the way that he seems unfit just standing there (kind of a tanker) but when he goes, he goes and you're like what the hell? Reminded me so much of Swanny in the way he bursts away and you're like, how does he move so quick with a body like that? He's not unfit, just looks it.

Was rated higher going into this year but had a knee injury that kept him out for a little while and his form never really went forward from last year. He had a good All Australian game to show he’s up there but probably goes mid first round imo. Maybe a little too outside is my query.

Was rated higher going into this year but had a knee injury that kept him out for a little while and his form never really went forward from last year. He had a good All Australian game to show he’s up there but probably goes mid first round imo. Maybe a little too outside is my query.
Thanks. That he had an injury excuse seems to be an argument that he is being undervalued atm imo.

Pure outside players seem to be becoming very underrated. Contested ball winning ability isn't the be all end all imo, we have about the best collection of contested ball winning mids in the AFL and it hasn't done that much for us. What we desperately need are a few players who can get on then end of handballs and hit targets. We have no-one who can do this other than Wells and an inconsistent WHE who needs to find at least 5 more disposals per game to be considered quality. I'd endorse trading down if it meant we could get O'Brien + another mid teens pick, especially considering there seems to be no guaranteed quality in this draft outside the top 2-3. Could also put us in a position to get Balta although I'm still skeptical he makes it outside the top 10 despite what everyone lists on their draft boards.

Why not both.

Be a very handy draft

Balta, Coffield.

How we manage that, hmmmm, I will leave that to the pre manoeuvres
The only way I can see is to send either Reid to Sydney for pick 31 or Fasolo to WC for pick 32, then package one of those with our pick 37 and try find someone in the teens that will do the deal for 2 x 30's picks. Pick 32 and pick 37 = pick 16 under the current points system and in 70% of Phantoms that would get you Balta, Allen or a Naughton.

Back