2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at that list I would be pretty confident that one of Bonar, Clark or Brayshaw would slip to pick 12.

Picks 12 and 18 are worth 2253 points, pick 7 is worth 1644, you would think the Saints would be very open to that sort of deal.

Scenario 1- Go to the draft with picks 1, 12, 18 and 19, we just got to hope no one bids on Ballenden before 18.
Scenario 2- Go to the draft with picks 1, 7 and 19, again hoping for no Ballenden bid.

Personally I would prefer scenario 1.

Trade picks 12 & 19 (2216pts) for Picks 7, 43, 57 (2204pts).
Use pick 18 for Cameron.
Leaves us 1 & 7 for 2 players we want/need and have picks 41 and 43 (790 points combined) for Ballenden.

Other options to get 2 picks in the top 10.
- Trade picks 12 & 18 (2253) to WB for picks 9 & 26 (2198)
- Trade picks 12 & 18 (2253) to COLL for picks 6 & 36 (2253)
- Trade picks 12 & 18 (2253) to Frem for picks 5 & 40 (2307)

Use pick 18 for Cameron.
Leaves us 1 & 7 for 2 players we want/need and have picks 41 and 43 (790 points combined) for Ballenden.

I've been wondering about this too. With the apparent lack of depth in this years draft, was thinking that rather than trying to snag one of St Kilda's top ten picks, if we would be better to try to target a team with a massive gap between their first & second picks. Collingwood & Fremantle in particular both fit that criteria.

A "no talls taken" top 10 really impacts the value of our pick 12 to us. Ideally for us, the likes of Fogarty, Hayes, Bander and Naughton are all gone prior to pick 12.

A somewhat random "no tall" top 10 could look something like this?

1. LDU
2. Dow
3. Rayner
4. Stephenson
5. Cerra
6. Coffield
7. Brayshaw
8. Higgins
9. Clark
10. Bonar

It doesn't leave us completely bereft of options at pick 12, depending on what we perceive we need and who we like. But, ideally, teams like Freo and Collingwood take taller players, pushing that list down a bit.

It just reinforces my view that I'd love to get our hands on one of those St Kilda picks if at all possible. We then take away the risk of selecting a less preferred option.

My thoughts exactly. None of the highly rated talls have done much to justify Anderson's rankings IMO, and he's got players like Brayshaw and Clark way too low. Even though Freo and the pies need talls they're not going to just take them if they're not worth it. Worst case, Constable would still be a good option.

Collongwood's 6 and 36 for our 12 and 18 looks like a win-win trade, only problem is they probably wouldn't have the balls to trade out of the top ten. Freo is less likely to and I get that with a top 5 pick.

Use pick 18 for Cameron.

Interesting work, Flea_29 . Can't see Collingwood or Fremantle giving up 5 or 6, but the St Kilda and Bulldogs trades are good options, especially Bulldogs as they only slide back 3 spaces and it might appeal to them. You haven't factored in compensation picks pushing things back though. Pick 27 (Bulldogs, potentially lower) would match a bid on Ballenden at 21 with a bit left over or have a 12 point deficit for a bid on Ballenden at 20. 41 & 43 make more sense if we're certain about Payne. Really like the idea of taking 2 midfielders from the top ten. But as Cripps went at 13, 12 looks pretty good as well.

Doubt that we need 57, with number of picks we can take in now equalling list spots. If we have 4 list spots, we take in 4 picks, in this case 1,7, 42, 44. Can't actually take 57 into draft, though I guess we can trade it. (42 and 44 would match pick 19, and then we get a pick back in the mid 70s, which we could use to match a bid on Payne from 56 onwards.)

I'm still hoping we opt for someone other than LDU at pick 1. He lacks genuine star power for mine and is somewhat vanilla.

Really hoping for either Dow/Stephenson.
How does he compare with similar types like Brodie and Setterfield from last year?
He doesn't seem to have really put it together all year, but he looks like a complete player to me. Would draft.

Can't see Collingwood or Fremantle giving up 5 or 6

Fremantle have a good reason to trade back though: they need a second rounder to pay for Nathan Wilson. Perhaps if we offered 12 and 18 for 5 and 40, they would take it. It still puts them in position to grab a tall at 12.

I reckon we'd need to trade up to 5 if we want to be certain of getting Brayshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle have a good reason to trade back though: they need a second rounder to pay for Nathan Wilson. Perhaps if we offered 12 and 18 for 5 and 40, they would take it. It still puts them in position to grab a tall at 12.

I reckon we'd need to trade up to 5 if we want to be certain of getting Brayshaw.

What makes you think we want Brayshaw?

I'm sure he'll be a decent midfielder, but i just don't see anything pick 1 about him. Looks like a midfield type that will be available every year. Gee I hope the recruiters get this one right.

Gee you're hard to please.

Based on that effort in that Rangers game , he looks exactly what we need

LDU/Stephenson then Dow then Rayner is how I see it.

Good point. Hadn't considered that. I hope they agree.

What makes you think we want Brayshaw?
Conole mentioned him when interviewed... he added three players after questioned about LDU and Rayner. Dow, Cerra and Brayshaw, as the 5 players we would consider with pick one. Seems clear we're considering him, at least.

Conole mentioned him when interviewed... he added three players after questioned about LDU and Rayner. Dow, Cerra and Brayshaw, as the 5 players we would consider with pick one. Seems clear we're considering him, at least.

Meh.

Lying is the second language of the AFL

Reckon there is a lot of posturing, maneouvering and disingenuous statements amomgst the Recruiters in the lead up to the draft.

Just as there is during "trade week"

Gee you're hard to please.

Based on that effort in that Rangers game , he looks exactly what we need

LDU/Stephenson then Dow then Rayner is how I see it.
Maybe you are right, like i said i am sure he will be a player. But for some reason i just can't get on board.
I guess this will be a draft where we see needs base vs best available.
Still find myself in the Raynor camp at this stage.

I'm sure he'll be a decent midfielder, but i just don't see anything pick 1 about him. Looks like a midfield type that will be available every year. Gee I hope the recruiters get this one right.
The issue this year is that there isn't that elite, stand out prospect but that there is about 2/3/4 players around the mark who are still pretty good. My main issue with LDU was that in the national champs with the three televised/streamed games he didn't have his best games but in saying that he dominated the private school comp for Hailebury, he was one of the best versus the Northern Blues when the AIS/AFL squad played, stood up in the TACCUP finals. He has many AFL traits already which is a good base to start with. In regards to Fagan's comments he is the most natural midfielder who can play inside/outside and can go forward as well. I would expect that he would be similar to Heeney in the first couple of years playing as a HBF.

Meh.

Lying is the second language of the AFL

Reckon there is a lot of posturing, maneouvering and disingenuous statements amomgst the Recruiters in the lead up to the draft.

Just as there is during "trade week"

Agree...that is why he didn't mention Stephehsen.... perhaps.

I would also be hoping we r planning to draft Payne. I saw him person yesterday n he is an impressive specimen. I am sure some team will bid on him as a young Brian Lake doesn't pop up often. Even if it is necessary to rob our futures bank for him to get enough points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back