Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

No other Victorian team currently has an automatic right to 11 home games at their nominated home ground. The notion of the Cats not playing home games at the MCG is fair enough, but the sharing of Etihad is a good idea - if all other teams non-Docklands teams have to chip in a home game to help preserve the Victorian league asset's contractual obligations despite the ground not being their home venue, then the Cats should too as Victorians. They're not interstaters. A game at Docklands every year is fair enough while those obligations remain...
No other Victorian team currently has an automatic right to 11 home games at their nominated home ground. The notion of the Cats not playing home games at the MCG is fair enough, but the sharing of Etihad is a good idea - if all other teams non-Docklands teams have to chip in a home game to help preserve the Victorian league asset's contractual obligations despite the ground not being their home venue, then the Cats should too as Victorians. They're not interstaters. A game at Docklands every year is fair enough while those obligations remain...
Geelong don't feel they have to contribute, they want a home ground advantage parallel with the northern states and a travel schedule of a Vic team and an exemption from having to make up the Etihad games. Nothing to see here.

Geelong don't feel they have to contribute, they want a home ground advantage parallel with the northern states and a travel schedule of a Vic team and an exemption from having to make up the Etihad games. Nothing to see here.
Nothing to do with travel. We'll play extra away games interstate if it appeases you. We just want 11 Home games in Geelong, just as you have the right to 11 home games in Melbourne

For me the bigger challenge to fix, is the entire 'draw'.

It is more unfair, effects more clubs and is created annually by the administrating body, which I believe should strive to be running a 'fair' competition ...this should be prioritized, over revenues and marketing.

For mine the DRAW creates huge advantages and disadvantages, for instance how can it be considered a fair draw in 2018, if the AFL structure the same 2017 games or Geelong and Collingwood again?...

- Geelong play 7 home games as their #1 preferred ground Kardina Park.
- Geelong play gain 0 away games as their #1 preferred ground Kardina Park.
- Collingwood play 9 home games as their #1 preferred ground MCC
- Collingwood gain 5 away games as their #1 preferred ground MCC

If the club doesn't think the town is fit enough to host a B&F function I don't see how they could think the town is up to hosting an AFL final.
Well isn't it lucky no-one cares what you think

Well isn't it lucky no-one cares what you think
Its just lucky what i think aligns with the AFL view not to give geelong a home final in week 1, because 95k at the 'G was great and a compelling argument against hosting many more than a handful of H&A games in geelong each year. So I guess I'll be seeing you in Melbourne if you want to go the game next year.

Last edited:

It is more unfair, effects more clubs and is created annually by the administrating body, which I believe should strive to be running a 'fair' competition ...this should be prioritized, over revenues and marketing.

For mine the DRAW creates huge advantages and disadvantages, for instance how can it be considered a fair draw in 2018, if the AFL structure the same 2017 games or Geelong and Collingwood again?...

Collingwood is contractually obligated by the AFL to play 14 games at the MCG. The MCG has the AFL over the barrel when it comes to fixturing.

Those facts can be split in many different ways. Collingwood only played 5 games with a true home ground advantage.

Geelong will end up with 9 home games at SS in 2018 and 4/5 games at the MCG.

Those facts can be split in many different ways. Collingwood only played 5 games with a true home ground advantage.

Geelong will end up with 9 home games at SS in 2018 and 4/5 games at the MCG.
Do Collingwood or Richmond have to play home games in a city they are not located in against teams located in that city?

It’s a crap barely afl standard stadium dimension wise. Build a stadium that wasn’t built for the sole purpose of your own team and then you can play finals there. Letting more then 1% of opposition supporters in at a fair price isn’t a bad idea either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a crap barely afl standard stadium dimension wise. Build a stadium that wasn’t built for the sole purpose of your own team and then you can play finals there. Letting more then 1% of opposition supporters in at a fair price isn’t a bad idea either
3 metres longer, 8 metres skinnier than the Adelaide Oval. People can repeat this fallacy as much as they want, it doesn't alter the facts unfortunately.

Hilarious that Richmond fans are talking about other clubs going bust - oh how they quickly forget their own history.

3 metres longer, 8 metres skinnier than the Adelaide Oval. People can repeat this fallacy as much as they want, it doesn't alter the facts unfortunately.
When adelade is one of if not the skinniest grounds in the aflto begin with, another 6 meters is massive. A 26 meter difference to the mcg isn’t acceptable

When adelade is one of if not the skinniest grounds in the aflto begin with, another 6 meters is massive. A 26 meter difference to the mcg isn’t acceptable
Saltier than the Dead Sea. You'd think after winning the flag you could take a week off and enjoy it.

Personally when the aim of footy is to get the ball from the middle of the ground through the goals at one end, I’d be far more concerned about the SCG being 20 metres shorter than some grounds (almost 20 to the MCG). Little wonder Sydney have always recruited for top shelf key forwards who can clunk that first kick out of the centre that becomes a deep entry inside 50.

Collingwood is contractually obligated by the AFL to play 14 games at the MCG. The MCG has the AFL over the barrel when it comes to fixturing.

Thanks for that information, I did not know that specific Collingwood team obligation.

My belief still is that it is the annual draw and its unfairness for all teams, that is the bigger issue. My comparison that the Pies played 14 games (9 home, 5 away) in 2017 at their preferred #1 ground, whereas in 2018 the Cats may only play 7 or 8 games at their nominated #1 preferred ground, was 1 v 2 comparison, on one aspect off the draw.

...I'm imagining a spot in the AFL finals hinging on a lucky hat draw, between C.Scott and N.Buckley, three tickets are in the hat, one ticket only is a winner. Bucks is allowed to draw two tickets, whereas Scott can only daw one. If this occurred annually, Buckley would be far more likely to gain the winning final ticket, most years. It is a complex challenge for sure, but worth improving on.

This unfairness off the draw issue is not due to Collingwood, Geelong, or any of the teams, it is due to the determinations off the governing organization, past decisions and AFL agreements, as you have assisted to clarify.

Should the AFL prioritize the games promotion and revenue, over equality or be trying to juggle these?

If equality is not the priority of the draw in 2018, the outcome may result in a grossly unfair draw.

I'd love a fairer draw and a more even playing field for all teams.

If equality is not the priority of the draw in 2018, the outcome may result in a grossly unfair draw.

I'd love a fairer draw and a more even playing field for all teams.
I agree 100%

In 2017 Collingwood played 14 games at the MCG and 3 at Etihad. Essendon played 7 at the MCG and 9 at Etihad. Excluding the clubs who sell home games, Saints, Carlton, Richmond also played ~16 games each between the MCG and Etihad. Geelong isn't asking for 16 games at Kardinia Park, just the 11 it has the right to ask for.

This is the issue. The standard of the AFL has outgrown the standard of the stadium.
Do Collingwood or Richmond have to play home games in a city they are not located in against teams located in that city?
Collingwood and richmond don't have to -because their city is appropriate to host those matches. Geelong hasn't even somewhere appropriate enough to hold its own B&F function, they had to go to Melbourne for that as well.

Funny that the whining is so strong this year compared with other years, but anyway... Geelong played 5 games at the MCG during H&A this season, which obviously should have given them good experience come finals time of how the ground should be played. We have interstate team supporters now screaming out for MCG games so they can get that same experience. Whatever the AFL does, they can't win and people will whine. It seems to be the way of the world these days.

The most simple answer to the problem is to just stop whining.

The stadium is being progressively upgraded. There is currently one stand not up to the "standard" of the AFL. It will be gone by the end of the decade.
Even when it's fully completed the facility isn't up to the standard of hosting quality AFL games. From what I've seen it seems there was a fair rort going on considering how much has been spent on it. Lack of facilities, like function spaces, dining, bars and corporate areas. This has been highlighted most recently by the fact the club can't even host its own social events there or even in the town itself.

Now they're "forming a committee" (hello long lunches, tax payer plz) to work out how to better utilise the venue, aka a bunch of seats. Rort.

That's not even to mention the tens of thousands of fans that'd be turned away from attending were geelong to host more games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back