Status
Not open for further replies.

ParapMarkets

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Sam Gibson would be a good DFA/rookie for a season. Not to play seniors but just to give us some insurance in case a few bigger bodies go down. At VFL level he'd provide good for protection for Polson/Cuningham types who aren't quite ready yet.
No to Sam Gibson for me. 75% of his disposals are uncontested, his efficiency for someone who plays so much on the outside is terrible. I'd rather give a game to one of our kids. Great runner and knows how to find it but there's a reason NM, a team trying to regenerate like us, don't want him.

Gingerbread man

All Australian
Aug 14, 2016
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
With talk of possibly trading pick 3 because a "weak draft" what do you all think of this trade:

Carlton trade pick 3 & 39 to GWS
For Matthew Kennedy & Wil Setterfield and pick 23

Setterfield is contracted for 2018 however you know we rate him as we placed a bid for him and this will add to our midfield depth and we get a back into the draft in the second round.
I'm all for taking pick 3 to the draft, but assuming setterfield is still tracking well and SOS obviously being a fan this is the most intriguing trade idea I have read on the board, if you remove us receiving pick 23 I think it makes for a very fair trade.

reubsblues

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
With talk of possibly trading pick 3 because a "weak draft" what do you all think of this trade:

Setterfield is contracted for 2018 however you know we rate him as we placed a bid for him and this will add to our midfield depth and we get a back into the draft in the second round.
Setterfield was a passionate essendope supporter growing up, do not want!

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

I think we would have to send a pick around 23 instead of them for them to even consider it.
IMO Setterfield is worth around pick 3 and Kennedy 23

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If crows got 18 for Cameron and offered us 16 & 18 for Gibbs would we do it?

Offer 18 for Kennedy & try to trade 16 to someone like cats for there 1st in next years draft.
We get to keep our 2nd round pick in very strong draft for next year.

We lose: Gibbs
We Gain Kennedy, Another 1st round pick for 2018
I'd take16 and 18.
Offer 18 for Kennedy and take 16 to the draft (along with pick 3, etc).

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I would. Then I'd throw 3 and 16 at GCS for Tom Lynch and see if they jump. Then lock him down for the next 7 - 8 years if they do.

I wouldn’t use those picks on a KPF. 3, 16,18 will get three gun young runners. Make a big difference to our list

If Gibbs goes I’d want 10, a young player and a 3rd Pick. We still need a lot of young talent and draft picks

What's your thoughts on him HBF? I certainly haven't seen anywhere near the amount of him as recruiters have but some of the vision of him available he appears to be able to find the footy but his disposal is only fair? Looks like he loops the ball when kicking and when he does put some power into his kicks he doesn't hit the target often enough.
I've only seen the youtube highlights. Haven't seen any live footage this year.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
100% this.
Build from the ground up, and we will get better and better.
We're still 2/3 through our rebuild, and with a supremely talented draft to come next year.
We're heading in the right direction for sure.

Couldn’t agree more. Kennedy plus another good player and more picks. It’s the best way

This year we will add another 10-12 talented young players to our list which already has a lot of young talent.

Have a look at our list after the rookie draft. It will look very different and even more exciting than it does now

All good

Couldn’t agree more. Kennedy plus another good player and more picks. It’s the best way

This year we will add another 10-12 talented young players to our list which already has a lot of young talent.

Have a look at our list after the rookie draft. It will look very different and even more exciting than it does now

All good
This is what i'd do.
3 was only going to be used on Kelly

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
What's the deal with Cat B rookies and the quota from Ireland (thought it was limited at 1 per club now?) but STK nabbed 2 recently from afl.com.au, unless 1 was the rookie list or you're able to have multiples?

Re: McDaid (below) & Okunbor

He joined the NAB AFL Academy members for a training camp in Florida the past two years, but was overlooked in 2016 as Ireland's Ray Connellan and Darragh Joyce signed with the Saints.

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
I'd take16 and 18.
Offer 18 for Kennedy and take 16 to the draft (along with pick 3, etc).

Gibbs is by my rating either the 3rd best or 4th best player at Carlton. You would want more than pick 16 and 18 to trade away your third best player. Have you looked at what pick 16 gets you in previous years? Not much.

I have the following rating of Carlton's best players
1- Cripps
2- Murphy
3- Docherty
4- Gibbs
5- Not there yet but should be in top 5 next year ...then next Kouta.. Charlie Curnow.

Some will have Docherty 4, Gibbs 2, Murphy 3. but these players are the cream at Carlton. You don't trade away your cream for nuts.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
What's the deal with Cat B rookies and the quota from Ireland (thought it was limited at 1 per club now?) but STK nabbed 2 recently from afl.com.au, unless 1 was the rookie list or you're able to have multiples?

Re: McDaid (below) & Okunbor

He joined the NAB AFL Academy members for a training camp in Florida the past two years, but was overlooked in 2016 as Ireland's Ray Connellan and Darragh Joyce signed with the Saints.
Maybe you can have an many as you like but only one is designated as the Cat B international AFAIK. Couldn't tell you exactly what difference that would make.

We've had Sheehan and Byrne on the rookie list together for a few years. Plus Tuohy back a few years ago.

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbs is by my rating either the 3rd best or 4th best player at Carlton. You would want more than pick 16 and 18 to trade away your third best player. Have you looked at what pick 16 gets you in previous years? Not much.

1- Cripps
2- Murphy
3- Docherty
4- Gibbs
5- Not there yet but should be in top 5 next year ...then next Kouta.. Charlie Curnow.

Some will have Docherty 4, Gibbs 2, Murphy 3. but these players are the cream at Carlton. You don't trade away your cream for nuts.

1- Cripps
2- Murphy
3- Docherty
4- Gibbs

It's not about winning the trade.
One pick gets Kennedy and a lower pick back, the other pick we take to the draft.
If Gibbs is going, I think picks 16 and 18 are better for us than just pick 10.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe you can have an many as you like but only one is designated as the Cat B international AFAIK. Couldn't tell you exactly what difference that would make.

We've had Sheehan and Byrne on the rookie list together for a few years. Plus Tuohy back a few years ago.

Yep, Cat B x 1 (Byrne) and now Sheehan has reverted to there after special dispensation from the AFL after being a standard rookie. He may not last if we strike with either of these lads as been mooted with us being listed as a club of interest with our own testing.

We haven't won out with an Irish youngster for a while despite having greater success with our players graduating to play AFL.

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
It's not about winning the trade.
One pick gets Kennedy and a lower pick back, the other pick we take to the draft.
If Gibbs is going, I think picks 16 and 18 are better for us than just pick 10.

I think I rate Gibbs higher than you. A goal kicking midfielder (18 goals in season) is valuable. How many goals has GWS Kennedy kicked this year? two or three.

Gibbs has kicked more goals than Collingwood's highly rated Treloar (!3), Sidebottom (16), or Geelong's Mitch Duncan (14). Harry Taylor - who spent a lot of time up forward - only kicked 22. 4 more than Gibbs.

Gibbs is an asset, you don't trade away assets unless you get a guaranteed success in return. An example would be when Hawthorn traded away that defender back in 2001 to Fremantle, and got pick 2, which they used on Hodge.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Yep, Cat B x 1 (Byrne) and now Sheehan has reverted to there after special dispensation from the AFL after being a standard rookie. He may not last if we strike with either of these lads as been mooted with us being listed as a club of interest with our own testing.

We haven't won out with an Irish youngster for a while despite having greater success with our players graduating to play AFL.
One Cat B per year, otherwise they get tossed onto Cat A and consume a rookie draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back