Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

What about mike Fitzpatrick

As CEO??
Fitzpatrick is Chairman of PAC (Pacific Current Group), a 'boutique investment' firm.
Apparently there was a shareholder revolt late last year after $200 million was wiped off PAC's market value in just over 2 years.
Mike was Chairman during that period, whilst he was at the AFL.

The rebel investor's leader, Michael de Tocqueville said "The shareholders have decided to come together because of their concerns relating to the poor corporate governance and risk-management practices of their company..."

$200 million losses, accusations of poor governance and a shareholder revolt - not great on a resume....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...t/news-story/dc1add362caaf36651e2ec72114bce99
http://www.smh.com.au/business/cbd/...hairman-mike-fitzpatrick-20170307-gusa3s.html

What are you even talking about?

Reference to Simon Lethlean.
Ex AFL Football Operations Manager who was sacked back in July for having an on/off affair with a co-worker.
Talk is that MLG wants Lethlean as our CEO. Elements of the CFC board, don't - allegedly.
Also talk that Gil MacLachlan wants his good buddy working back in AFL land and is exerting pressure/influence behind the scenes.

Risky business, Lethlean's skills as an administrator are not in question but he is now effectively damaged goods. Taking him on will alienate a lot of potential sponsors who will feel uncomfortable with the link to Lethlean in view of his past, I hope billionaire Bruce Mathiesons nephew Craig, SOS and the others driving this are happy to pick up the financial slack. Sometimes the cost is just too high.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...looks-to-be-under-threat-20171005-gyuvny.html

a796b9e99c4bbbe88b071e2e7013875d

Ya snooze,you lose. Appoint the right person for the job and move on quickly!
The clubs already behind the eight ball in regards to membership numbers.
Lets get back on top of things!
Go Blues!

Given that the AFL hasn't done our club a lot of favours over the past several decades, appointing someone who can change that dynamic and work with the his mates at the AFL may not be a bad thing. I suspect it could also be financially lucrative if the right buddy-buddy deal gets struck (e.g. redevelopment of Princes Park on the AFL's dime).

No issue with Trigg leaving. He's stabilized the club through a difficult period and he seems to be more of an Operations type anyway. I think we have more than enough talent onboard in that regard (The Vet was 2nd in line for the AFL Ops gig after all). I feel we are a step behind other clubs commercially, so whomever gets the gig needs to focus on that aspect of the business rather than the Football side of things as I think we have that covered.

Given that the AFL hasn't done our club a lot of favours over the past several decades, appointing someone who can change that dynamic and work with the his mates at the AFL may not be a bad thing. I suspect it could also be financially lucrative if the right buddy-buddy deal gets struck (e.g. redevelopment of Princes Park on the AFL's dime).

No issue with Trigg leaving. He's stabilized the club through a difficult period and he seems to be more of an Operations type anyway. I think we have more than enough talent onboard in that regard (The Vet was 2nd in line for the AFL Ops gig after all). I feel we are a step behind other clubs commercially, so whomever gets the gig needs to focus on that aspect of the business rather than the Football side of things as I think we have that covered.
Yep get the **** out of Etihad and have most if not all our home games at the g for a start .

She has her pet hates and clearly Carlton is one of them.

A mish mash of innuendos, guesswork, delivered in her boring pontificating style, masquerading as an article.

Would've thought Adelaide's behaviour of late warranted more comment

Trigg is staying on until a new CEO is found, same as Pert at Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of who the new CEO is I think it’s pretty hard to argue that Trigg wasn’t doing a good job.

He chaired the selection committee that appointed Bolton and managed to recruit SOS. I think most fans could agree that recruiting both Bolton and SOS are steps firmly in the right direction for the club.

Really I don’t think there were too many thing that Trigg should’ve been doing but wasn’t. The CEO role is one of essentially running the club on a day to day basis, getting the right people in charge of the various areas of the club and executing the boards strategy.

From the outside it seems like the club has been in the best place it’s been in years in terms of the administration side of things. I guess we’ll just have to see what happens....

A bit hard to attract corporates when you finish 18th, 14th, and 16th. Sometimes you have to be grateful that someone takes the job at all. His biggest fan will be his successor.

I think Trigg has been great, but if he can't live in Melbourne then CFC-CEO isn't the job for him.
I agree. It's also difficult to grow the membership numbers.

to me the fundamental underlying problem with Carlton is the perception that rich benefactors like the Pratts, Matthiesons control the club and will bail it out when needed. This leads to supporters being disengaged financially because, well, what's the point...it's run by factions. Maybe most footy clubs are the same, but the perception at Carlton is very strong. But those rich benefactors, whilst contributing, never seem to let us be independent of them. We still seem to be in heavy debt. I'd rather grass roots tin rattling and be free of them. We can learn a lot from Richmond, even when they were failing they had a galvanised and engaged supporter base.
Certainly my perception is that the latter wields far too much influence.

Old mate second from the left gives me the heebie jeebies
Looks like David Mitchell in disguise...

Regardless of who the new CEO is I think it’s pretty hard to argue that Trigg wasn’t doing a good job.

He chaired the selection committee that appointed Bolton and managed to recruit SOS.
I thought MLG brought SOS into the fold??

Not an agenda but a fact.

This board has a rogue President that puts offers in front of others without his board knowing and ultimately costing us a huge payout
This board has a President that seems to make a mess of every situation including the Malthouse exit, which again cost us a lot of money
This board has a President that flat out lies to all of us, including you, so cut your "look at me" talk and face the facts, you hero.

Why are you in love with all of this. Do you see a bit of yourself in MLG? Maybe you're out of sync with the way a football board should be run.

I 100% agree with all of the above.

Was listening to SEN breaky team yesterday (Andy Maher, Spud & Dal Santo?), they were reviewing the Trigg announcement and they had Mark LoGiudice on the phone.
Andy Maher was putting it to him that members may be forgiven for thinking that this was looking like "The Carlton of Old" had returned and Spud was absolutely grilling him about the rumors of Lethlean being 'unofficially selected' weeks ago and now the position is available and that it was a foregone conclusion he will get the job.

LoGiudice acknowledged that the club would 'absolutely love to have someone of his experience' in the position but denied point blank that he had any knowledge that it had been discussed or anyone had approached Lethlean weeks before. The way he danced around the issue and continually evaded the question when Spud was asking 'Yes or No', and clinging to his "We'll follow the same process that we did with Steven Trigg" it sounded very much like someone uncomfortably lying to me.

Everyone on the panel had agreed that it was very strange that they had brought forward Trigg's 'Mutual' resignation and that Apart from slow Membership growth and the SSM press release, he had done an excellent job engaging with the Members & Press, Bolton appointment, engaging staff at all levels, etc. etc. and that Trigg had spoken to someone in the media only days before saying he had heard the 'rumor' but no-one at Carlton had approached him at that point.

Spud was openly stating that Lethlean to the CEO job at Carlton was already a 100% done deal and Andy Maher was pissed off with the way the whole Trigg resignation had been handled, and both were saying it was very much a 'Carlton of Old' decision, and likely Mathieson behind 'the board's' decision.

Just to add salt to the wounds, they opened up the phones to the public and whilst one caller called in saying it was no big deal and mountain made out of a molehill and it would all blow over type thing, the rest were all pissed off. One Female Carlton member called in saying how Jeff Kennett's speech (about Hawthorn being a family club and that they would not be looking to interview Lethlean as he did not fit in with their standards) inspirational and how she thought it was disgusting that Carlton didn't have a problem with it.

I said it weeks ago when B70 first hinted at it that this was a potentially a complete public relations disaster for the club, and now we are starting to see this unfold.

When is the f#cking boys club keeping us in the dark ages and poisoning our reputation going to be purged from our great club?

When are the morons behind the marketing going to realise that making a club more Family Inclusive, and not focusing on nothing but sponsorship, will generate more income from Family Merch and memberships, and therefore make us more attractive to sponsors?

I've been on a not for profit board during a CEO changeover. I don't mind changing our CEO if its about moving on to our next stage of development and needing different strengths to deliver that. Prefer if we did it via rigorous selection process. Bolts is an example of a quality appointment - fit to our purpose. Open to Lethlean being the right person for the job.

Thank you Mr Trigg for what you have done to rebuild the club. Bolts and AFLW (just two examples) are great achievements given our history. Best of luck.

There's unlikely to be an open rigorous process if the AFL want their 'administrator' in place, at our club.
There may well be a show of a process, but it does seem as though this appointment is already set in stone.

We'll see what plays out of course, but it seems to be leading to one end conclusion.
One new CEO and ultimately one new President, if all falls into place.

I won't mind there being a new President so long as it isn't a powerbroker lackey. We could do worse than having Jenkins take the reigns. She won't bully anyone or assume her vote means more than anybody else's and she will present well to the media.

I have never been a fan of MLG as the public face while still giving him credit for embracing change.

So do I, even though it that may not come across that way.
I liked Kernahan as a person, but despised him as our President.

We just can't put MLG in front of a microphone again as the old "When I say it louder, they'll believe me" adage, doesn't have impact any more.
Park away the testosterone MLG and do the right thing for the club. That's if it hasn't been done for him already.

Would help if he didn't look like an extra in The Sopranos.

Clubs do have to suspend the truth sometimes. They need to be creative and credible. We need someone who can do that. Unfortunately Trigg was that person for us and this is about him.

The only other people I believe when they talk is Bolton and SOS as they have an air of credibility.

Change our name to Carlton Clan and all the families will come running to us. We will be the true family club and that will solve all our problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back