2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue this year is that there isn't that elite, stand out prospect but that there is about 2/3/4 players around the mark who are still pretty good. My main issue with LDU was that in the national champs with the three televised/streamed games he didn't have his best games but in saying that he dominated the private school comp for Hailebury, he was one of the best versus the Northern Blues when the AIS/AFL squad played, stood up in the TACCUP finals. He has many AFL traits already which is a good base to start with. In regards to Fagan's comments he is the most natural midfielder who can play inside/outside and can go forward as well. I would expect that he would be similar to Heeney in the first couple of years playing as a HBF.
I thought exactly the same watching McCluggage during last years national champs.

I thought exactly the same watching McCluggage during last years national champs.
He wasn't overly damaging was he but there was some signs of pure class that got me excited. I remember reading a post by someone who watched one of his TACCUP games and he had close to 40 touches but they were suprised as he didn't seem to have that much of an impact. The last game they played (All-Stars) he was awesome though and remember seeing a Champion data graph and he was elite in all bar one. That is the difference of this years crop to this that eventhough they're very good players they're only elite in an area or two. However you can only take from what there is and LDU certainly shows some definite AFL traits.

His disposal by foot is extremely high as well and don't forget that Fagan comes from Hawks where if 'you can't kick you can't play'.
That would probably rule out Cameron too - but it won't.

Agree...that is why he didn't mention Stephehsen.... perhaps.

I would also be hoping we r planning to draft Payne. I saw him person yesterday n he is an impressive specimen. I am sure some team will bid on him as a young Brian Lake doesn't pop up often. Even if it is necessary to rob our futures bank for him to get enough points.

I Agree - apparently for a big bloke - Payne is athletic. Ran 2.98 for 20m sprint and did well with the agility test and can obviously kick both feet scoring 29/30. Showed in his NEAFL games that his is a tough one on one defender and will be a brute when he grows up. Still apparently 17

I've already said this privately to a couple of posters here but there is a late season buzz about Brayshaw that normally goes with a player who gets taken early. He's put together a really good season and has appeared to add to his resume every time he played. Maybe guys like Dow and Cerra would have done likewise had they kept playing but Brayshaw (along with LDU and Stephenson) is the one with recent runs on the board. He's also the one who doesn't appear to have a real weakness in the things that are important at AFL level - winning your own footy, endurance and disposal.

Based on his performances and the "buzz", I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him taken in the top 5.

I've already said this privately to a couple of posters here but there is a late season buzz about Brayshaw that normally goes with a player who gets taken early. He's put together a really good season and has appeared to add to his resume every time he played. Maybe guys like Dow and Cerra would have done likewise had they kept playing but Brayshaw (along with LDU and Stephenson) is the one with recent runs on the board. He's also the one who doesn't appear to have a real weakness in the things that are important at AFL level - winning your own footy, endurance and disposal.

Based on his performances and the "buzz", I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him taken in the top 5.
from his film it is clear how active he is on the field, doesn't stop running and bounces from contest to contest, I said it last month but he reminds me alot of Cotchin. Combine numbers backed up the film showing elite athleticism. I would be happy if we took him at 1 tbh.
I agree with others that this draft is wide open in regards to the top 5 talents and at the end of the day the Lions could take any one of 7-8 guys based on position/form/hype/combine. will be a fun draft.

from his film it is clear how active he is on the field, doesn't stop running and bounces from contest to contest, I said it last month but he reminds me alot of Cotchin. Combine numbers backed up the film showing elite athleticism. I would be happy if we took him at 1 tbh.
I agree with others that this draft is wide open in regards to the top 5 talents and at the end of the day the Lions could take any one of 7-8 guys based on position/form/hype/combine. will be a fun draft.
Cotchin seems the comparison a lot of people are landing on. Cotchin is not an absolute superstar but you'd be happy with him as a draft result with virtually any pick.

upload_2017-10-7_14-20-46.png
Me watching Stephenson's disposal in this video. Seriously, I have no idea what he's trying to do with the ball half the time and I don't think he does either. Looks like a great athlete and at the very least I think he'll be a dangerous forward. Beyond that, he has a lot of work to do. Can win contested ball, but his kicking under pressure is horrendous. Dribbling a kick to an opposition player 5 metres away from the contest isn't a good idea. When he's not doing that, he's throwing his boot at the ball while completely off balance half the time. Has a lot of work to do when it comes to composure I'd say, because even when he's not under pressure Stephenson just bangs it on the boot in the general direction of a team mate.

View attachment 425589
Me watching Stephenson's disposal in this video. Seriously, I have no idea what he's trying to do with the ball half the time and I don't think he does either. Looks like a great athlete and at the very least I think he'll be a dangerous forward. Beyond that, he has a lot of work to do. Can win contested ball, but his kicking under pressure is horrendous. Dribbling a kick to an opposition player 5 metres away from the contest isn't a good idea. When he's not doing that, he's throwing his boot at the ball while completely off balance half the time. Has a lot of work to do when it comes to composure I'd say, because even when he's not under pressure Stephenson just bangs it on the boot in the general direction of a team mate.

Yeah there's a few kicking issues that are highlighted in the video. Nothing that's that bad. As would be the same for every single draftee in this pool. Eg. LDU missed a goal from 20m directly in front last week. His disposal is no worse than most of them and better around goals than all.

If you watch the highlights of the All-stars game, if he wasn't at 100% efficiency he would have been close. Kicked 3 in basically 3 quarters and, gave off probably another 10. Unfortunate there are no videos going around of that game, because you would have him locked for pick 1

Last edited:

Yeah he has Clayton Oliver late heat.

As good a prospect if not better. But they lacked star power for mine too.
I'm not 100% sure star power is our biggest need. We need someone with the potential to be a dominant contested ball winner. If we think LDU has that + decent speed and skills, I'm all for it. No need to get all Scott Clayton. I thought GC drafted more exciting players, whereas GWS got a lot of seemingly 'vanilla' types like Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio etc. There might be a bit of a lesson in that.

View attachment 425589

Obviously you could make a video like that of any draftee,but he does look a bit sloppy. That kicking technique is questionable. I'd rather go a safer player that might not end up being a superstar, than go the riskier player with X factor that could be Jared Brennan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Conole mentioned Rayner, LDU, Dow, Cerra and Brayshaw but didn't mention Stephenson I don't think there were any mind games being played there. Fagan said this time last year that ideally a player must have a good character, be a good kick and be a good runner. Stephensen probably isn't being considered because his disposal is so average.

1 for 4 & 21 (NM)
18 & 19 for 8 & 61 (StK)
12 for 23 & 25 (GWS)

4 - ? Can't decide ?
8 - Bonar
21 - Cameron
23 & 25 - Ballenden points or pick + a bonus
41 - Sambono
61 - Payne
73 - Hodge

1 for 4 & 21 (NM)
18 & 19 for 8 & 61 (StK)
12 for 23 & 25 (GWS)

4 - ? Can't decide ?
8 - Bonar
21 - Cameron
23 & 25 - Ballenden points or pick + a bonus
41 - Sambono
61 - Payne
73 - Hodge
I always enjoy your creative thinking. Trouble with this one would be list spots I think - we would need to delist another 4 seniors, and wouldn't allow for any rookie elevations. In terms of final outcome though I like it!

I'm not 100% sure star power is our biggest need. We need someone with the potential to be a dominant contested ball winner. If we think LDU has that + decent speed and skills, I'm all for it. No need to get all Scott Clayton. I thought GC drafted more exciting players, whereas GWS got a lot of seemingly 'vanilla' types like Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio etc. There might be a bit of a lesson in that.

I'm not so sure I see that in LDU myself, I think with pick 1 you go best available. Can't say I see LDU as that but obviously if the club does then I am all for it.

A lot of that is to do with the development methods in place at that club(Shambles) Whereas GWS are completely different. You are comparing apples with oranges in that sense.

Based on his performances and the "buzz", I wouldn't be at all surprised to see .him taken in the top 5

Certainly looking that way.

View attachment 425589

I could literally compile a similar video on about every highly touted player in this draft. I'm not sure if you've watched him live and in person much, but his disposal isn't really as bad as it is made out to be. It's not perfect but it can be tidied up easily enough.

Obviously you could make a video like that of any draftee,but he does look a bit sloppy. That kicking technique is questionable. I'd rather go a safer player that might not end up being a superstar, than go the riskier player with X factor that could be Jared Brennan.

Couldn’t even watch till the end, you guy’s who want him number 1 have to be kidding yourselves or have a vested interest in him, leg speed yes, good size but that’s it, not a top 10pick by seeing this

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we traded pick 1 down to pick 3, 4 or 5. That would still get us one of Dow, LDU, Brayshaw or Cerra (assuming Rayner goes to North/Carlton). The top 5 are so even so pick 1 feels wasted in value at the moment, especially if Rayner is viewed as number 1 and we don't pick him (which I hope we don't). With that downgrade we could get Cameron. The problem is that the other teams probably see it this way too, if Carlton or North offered pick 3/4 plus their second rounder I'd take it in an instant.

Anybody else keen on Lochie O'Brien with pick 18/19?

Seems like he could be that scully/isaac smith/stephen or brad hill type that we sorely lack.

Excellent raking left foot, good hnds on the lead and overhead and a good tank.
We don't seem to have anyone like that on our list and bewick/cutler types probably aren't up to scratch.

Anybody else keen on Lochie O'Brien with pick 18/19?

Seems like he could be that scully/isaac smith/stephen or brad hill type that we sorely lack.

Excellent raking left foot, good hnds on the lead and overhead and a good tank.
We don't seem to have anyone like that on our list and bewick/cutler types probably aren't up to scratch.
I don't think Lochie O'Brien would be available but if he was I hope we read his name out, bargain at 18/19. I wouldn't mind him at 12 but we should probably use that one on the best pure inside/spread type mid still available eg. Bonar, Constable, Brayshaw.

I don't think Lochie O'Brien would be available but if he was I hope we read his name out, bargain at 18/19. I wouldn't mind him at 12 but we should probably use that one on the best pure inside/spread type mid still available eg. Bonar, Constable, Brayshaw.

Originally i was going to say 12 but after reading some of the phantom draft threads it seems like he may be viewed more around the pick 20 mark than 10.
Yeh 2 out and out contested ball winners seems like our main priority with 1 and 12 but i think we urgently need to address our footskills heading into f50 and run and carry from defensive half of the ground. Fingers crossed he sticks around til 18

As has been mentioned, pick 12 is starting to look borderline on getting a kid that might suit the clubs needs.

Looking less and likely that any of the talls go in the top 10. Also looks like the top 4 may have become a top 5 with Brayshaw pushing up late.

Rayner
LDU
Brayshaw
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Bonar
Clark
Fogarty
Constable
Higgins

Two players I'm not keen on are Higgins and Constable.

Trade period is going to be interesting to see which first round picks get traded and what the first round will look like after the trade period ends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back