Remove this Banner Ad

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We have done unbelievably well a few years back but our recent trading leads a lot to be desired.

2014:
Ins Cheney and Lowden, swap of picks. Cheney was a gain, Lowden a big bust. Used pick on Wigg, bust.

2015:
Ins:
Menzel now delisted, used a second rounder and Kerridge.
Hampton, second rounder. Injury prone and jury is still out two years in.
Seedsman I rate, but second rounder and injury prone.
Gore, pick 50 odd as part of Danger trade. What were we thinking?

2016:
Ins: nothing
Let Lyons go for a third rounder.

That's 3 wasted years.

2017 isn't shaping up to be much better.

2017? We'll be big players if the Lever and Cameron deals get done for good picks.
Gibbs and Motlop to free agents that were interested in. Plus Aaron Francis is a possibility.
Looks like we'll do alright

Seriously surprised by the Menzel delisting. He had disappointed, but was actually starting to play some good footy.

I guess we just had no role for him. Wouldn't be surprised to see port pick him up.

Kyle Cheney, Luke Lowden, 43, 47, 59 for 31, 50, 68 - Cheney a gain, Lowden a bust, but did well out of the picks (McGovern with 43)
14, 35 for 10, 47 - Lever a gain (getting a better return than pick 14 on him), Wigg a bust

Gore, 9, 28 for Dangerfield, 50 - Gore a bust, Milera I'm going to say is a gain
Hampton for 2016 2nd - jury out
Seedsman for 32 - gain
Menzel for 28, Kerridge - bust

Lyons, 71 for 43, 67 - jury out (Poholke, Signorello)

Not too bad, but could be better

Our recent drafting looks better than our recent trading. That's our area of strength, we should back ourselves in more. We have enough fringe players.

2017? We'll be big players if the Lever and Cameron deals get done for good picks.
Gibbs and Motlop to free agents that were interested in. Plus Aaron Francis is a possibility.
Looks like we'll do alright
We don't have anyone yet

Kyle Cheney, Luke Lowden, 43, 47, 59 for 31, 50, 68 - Cheney a gain, Lowden a bust, but did well out of the picks (McGovern with 43)
14, 35 for 10, 47 - Lever a gain (getting a better return than pick 14 on him), Wigg a bust

Gore, 9, 28 for Dangerfield, 50 - Gore a bust, Milera I'm going to say is a gain
Hampton for 2016 2nd - jury out
Seedsman for 32 - gain
Menzel for 28, Kerridge - bust

Lyons, 71 for 43, 67 - jury out (Poholke, Signorello)

Not too bad, but could be better
Not too bad?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised with Menzel delisting and so early in the piece. What happens if Charlie goes and we don't get Motlop or Gibbs or Francis (i assume we would probably hold Charlie to his contract).

If Eddie gets injured or Charlie goes, I thought it would be smart to keep Menzel. Or at least wait to see our trading etc.

Our trading an drafting over the last few years has been ordinary. Hopefully we will turn it around in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm a little surprised with Menzel delisting and so early in the piece. What happens if Charlie goes and we don't get Motlop or Gibbs or Francis (i assume we would probably hold Charlie to his contract).

If Eddie gets injured or Charlie goes, I thought it would be smart to keep Menzel. Or at least wait to see our trading etc.

The answer to this question is Gallucci.

We either plan to keep Charlie, or we're going to blood that kid.

Charlie contracted, he goes if we allow it.

While Menzel deal has not turned out well, I would still use the same logic for this type of trade.

If the club is going to remain contender and given our “never bottom out” approach, we should be doing exactly what we did with Menzel.

Identify genuinely talented kids who are for whatever reason underperforming at their current club. If they happen to be from SA even better.

Get them to the club for a reasonable pick and back the system and club in to get the best out of them. You win some, you lose some but it’s a sound strategy.

We believed that at pick 28 we would not be able to get a kid that is as talented as Menzel. Kerridge was gone regardless. Do the trade and back your club in. It worked with Lynch, Jenkins, Seedsman (when not injured), Hampton showed signs pre-injury, Menzel didn’t live up to it. Tambling also failed.

Given our retention rates, the strategy is sound especially if you get SA kid back into the club. That’s why I am keen to see if we can get the best out of Francis. I don’t think we will pay what Essendon will want but I would be keen to get him. It’s a risk but one worth taking.

You win some, you lose some. Onwards and upwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back