Who is the best tackler in the AFL?

Tyler Hodges

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76'ers
Yeh - not a very transparent attempt at another 'Cyril is great' thread.

Bit like the Richmond 'Who is the best/worst' threads being started this week.
It's the only part of Cyril's game that even as a bias fan can't really be questioned- vain hope that the BF world would rally behind Cyril in unity from OP perhaps? Good luck..

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
More tackles per game than e.g. West Coast's b&f winner.
Just saying i never picture martin tackling. No big effort ranking more tackles than Yeo. Never seen him tackle either.
Maybe a side Martin and Yeo can work on.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just saying i never picture martin tackling. No big effort ranking more tackles than Yeo. Never seen him tackle either.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Martin and Yeo were 6th and 5th at their clubs for tackles this season.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I think if you asked the players who they'd least like to be tackled by, Mummy would be ptetty high on their list. At his best he does create uncertainty and worry amongst the opposition mids.

Sloane is good. Run down Cyril and Tippa. Merrett also has a nice technique.

Oh and Cunnington is good as well.

I honestly reckon Tippa is the better run down tackler. Cyril is the best at trapping the arm and grabbing the wrists.

To be honest I think tackling is something the Tiwi boys excel at. Back in the day even Mauris used to coach his richmond teammates on how to tackle; "You've gotta shoot from the hips like a gunfighter".

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I think the per game stats this year accurately paint the picture. The reason S.Selwood is so prolific isn't just because of mindset, he is technically perfect. Steele is not far off him, can't remember seeing anyone get past him this season. Rockliff is up there as well. All similar body shapes, not sure there's anything in that...

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
In terms of impact, Jacob Townsend then daylight.

Anyone who was at Punt Road Oval a couple of months back and saw...heard...his tackle on Wylie Buzza... The noise was tremendous, Buzza, respect to him, eventually got up and limped to the bench.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I know what you're saying, but when Martin accepted his MVP award he dedicated it to his teammates, saying "I'd be nothing without you". Obviously he doesn't tackle as much as he otherwise might because he's such an attacking force, but the club clearly has the balance right.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Now Priddis has retired it's Swallow.

What's weird is that Priddis became an even better tackler after he won the Brownlow. Usually once a player achieves the pinnacle, or they get older, they stop improving and drop off. Priddis though increased his workrate and did even more of the unfashionable grunt work than he had before. Have to respect his persistent drive and determination. One of those self-made players that got every last drop out of themself.

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
What's weird is that Priddis became an even better tackler after he won the Brownlow. Usually once a player achieves the pinnacle, or they get older, they stop improving and drop off. Priddis though increased his workrate and did even more of the unfashionable grunt work than he had before. Have to respect his persistent drive and determination. One of those self-made players that got every last drop out of themself.
Yep. Solid WAFL player who turned himself into an A grade AFL player purely via hard work and dedication

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
This bloke. End thread.
upload_2017-10-7_17-26-3.png

Back