Faster, Higher, Stronger, whats the next evolution after Dogs/Tigers revivals

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
In 2016 I remember much being made of Hawthorn shutting down Nat Fyfe with their ferocious pressure, clips showed 3 Hawthorn players mugging Fyfe every time he touched the ball. Now the Bulldogs followed by Richmond have made this an art form. Every time any opponent touches the ball they are mugged. It demands a fearsome level of fitness and discipline.

I remember Tommy Hafey changed the game by demanding higher levels of fitness from his players. Players were encouraged to stick to a packet a day and to follow the maxim introduced infamously at the MCG (in the early 70s the MCG brought in a one slab limit per person you could bring to the cricket or footy) so a slab a day maximum. His demands drove 2 fine athletes in the Whale Roberts and Bones McGhie to try skip a couple of circuits of the tan during a pre season run, alas for them Tommy noticed them missing and walked the tan and became suspicious of a rather large pile of leaves...

Tommy changed the sport, Clarkson and his coaching progeny are constantly shifting the bar.

The new style does seem built on extreme fitness, like with Fyfe no chance of showing your superior skills if you have no time to use them. Seems the AFL may need to move soon on further reducing rotations to tire players more.

One thing we know is that coaches will find the answers and the game will change again.

Be fascinating to watch and has evolved for years.

Remember the Eagles of 91/92 and they introduced weight regimes that resulted in almost a new body shape for footballer.

Years later the game changed and players were dropping muscle to keep their aerobic capacity.

Pagan’s Paddock.
Roos / Lyon ultra defence.
Clarko’s Cluster.
Weagles Web.
Playing one key forward.
Tagging half back flankers.

Wonder if a team can spring from the pack next year with a new tactic or different game plan (and if the AFL will change a rule to combat it).

Most of the mediocre clubs will double down on the pressure game. Expect Lyon to climb the ladder again.

Another coach will zig while others zag and win a premiership that stands up to pressure, probably using pin point skills. I’ll say Clarkson.

Most of the mediocre clubs will double down on the pressure game. Expect Lyon to climb the ladder again.

Another coach will zig while others zag and win a premiership that stands up to pressure, probably using pin point skills. I’ll say Clarkson.

From a game evolution perspective this attack v defence / pressure dynamic will be interesting to watch. Was it only early this year everyone was lauding the return of free scoring, attacking footy. Yet we again have a manic, pressure orientated team as premiers. Interesting both WB and Richmond were not dominant teams in H&A but had awesome finals series with a classic ‘built for finals’ level of pressure game plan. Can you sustain that all season though with the levels of fitness and mental application required? We’ve now had Richmond come from 3rd on a tight ladder (one more loss they could haves finished 6th) and Bulldogs from 7th. That’s leaving a lot of work to do in September.

Pin point doesn't work I don't reckon against Tiger levels of pressure.

Adelaide was much maligned for trying to play a short game and this was the exact reason. If you keep possession the umpires can't ping you and the opposition can't tackle you.

Works in theory but you need the cattle. Adelaide may not have it sure but Hawthorn don't either atm.

What about how the core playing groups (and the head coaches) of the Bulldogs '16 and Tigers '17 hadn't won a final prior to their respective flag winning seasons? I can't think of another team in at least the 30 last years which that applies to (Adelaide in '97 perhaps, but not to the same extent).

Inherent within the idea of premiership windows is that teams are supposed to spend a year or two going deep into September tasting just the right mix of success, disappointment and all-round high-pressure experience to help catapult them further in future campaigns. The way Richmond and the Western Bulldogs have triumphed feels like a statement about list management rather than tackling.

Is this just another well-disguised “everyone needs to be more like Richmond to be successful” thread?

Is this just another well-disguised “everyone needs to be more like Richmond to be successful” thread?

They won the flag in a canter, so every other team does need to be more like Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved Tom Hafey and met him numerous times. A wonderful man. Sure he was into having highly fit teams, but in no way did he invent or pioneer that aspect of modern footy.
If anyone could lay claim it would be John Kennedy at Hawthorn. Even his early 1960's teams that predate Hafey as a Richmond coach , were known as "Kennnedy's Commandos" due to their unprecedented levels of fitness based upon their ruthless pre season and ongoing training. Furthermore the centreman of the side, Brendan Edwards opened a series of gyms in the 60's focusing on aerobic fitness. Now that was truly pioneering as we had never seen the like before. Gyms before Edwards were for boxing or weightlifting not for 'fitness'. Credit where it's due.

In 2016 I remember much being made of Hawthorn shutting down Nat Fyfe with their ferocious pressure, clips showed 3 Hawthorn players mugging Fyfe every time he touched the ball. Now the Bulldogs followed by Richmond have made this an art form. Every time any opponent touches the ball they are mugged. It demands a fearsome level of fitness and discipline.
Can't have been too much made of it, Fyfe didn't play against Hawthorn in 2016...

Think you'll find Collingwood started this in about 2010/11. The coaching handover sort of killed their gang style tackling and then got forgotten about, but that squads tackling pressure was second to none.

latest

atomic supermen

On AFL live 2004 I used to take speccies on nobody to a moderate amount success.

Have clubs thought about implementing this?

Pressuring the players around the ball is revolutionary and I can't wait to see how the game evolves next. Perhaps big bodied players in the midfield that can win the ball?
Maybe use tall quick players down back to prevent the opposition taking marks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back