List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Needs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing wrong with what's on offer in the 1st Round, maybe even into the mid of 2nd round depending on the type of player your team is targeting.

The main reason from a SA point of view talking 2018 is there's likely 4 in 1st round contention, 2 right at the apex in Izak Rankine and Jack Lukosius and then Connor Rozee and Jackson Hately give every inclination they could push up for mid 1st round discussions. Then there's kids like Tom Lewis, Hugo Munn, and Luke Valente who with natural improvement might even push up into discussions.
Similar quality to last years draft you think?

What about the CrAzY idea that we trade our draft bounty from the upcoming draft, for 2018 picks (seeing as there is predicted alot more SA talent next year)

For example, (hypothetical)

Say we end up with 10*, 16, 18*, 34, 52, 71 + Additional 1st round 2018 (*10 + this pick from Melb for Lever and 18 for Cameron)

Based on everyone finishing in the exact same positions next year (of course this won't happen, but not gonna predict),

This would mean we already hold 10*, 16, 34, 52, 71 for 2018. (*10 in the lever deal)

Proposed Scenario:

We trade :
2017 pick 10: to a current bottom 4 team that has a player in mind for their future 1st round pick
2017 pick 16: to a current bottom 8 team that has a player in mind for their future 1st round pick
2017 pick 18: to a current bottom 8 team that has a player in mind for their future 1st round pick
2017 pick 34: to a current bottom 4 team that has a player in mind for their future 2nd round pick

Use:
2017 pick 52: Best Available talent OR Jackson Edwards if nominated
2017 pick 71: Best Available talent OR Jackson Edwards if nominated

Meaning we go into the 2018 AFL Draft potentially with:

7, 8, 10, 16, 22, 34, 52, 71 -
Blue picks estimated - could be a little higher or lower (could potentially even end up with the number 1 pick!)

Of course this scenario is not going to happen,. as we will likely need to send a 2nd round back to Melbourne for Lever and will probably do a trade for Gibbs AND it doesn't allow for any other potential 2017 moves, But would be an interesting/ballsy strategy!

Surely this year the club may have taken a keener interest in SA talent with the loss of Dangerfield, CC and Lever over the last few years to the go home factor

If they had taken this step two years ago maybe just maybe we would see

Burton Instead of Doedee
Hayward instaed of Galluci
Graham instead of Pohlkoke

Not sure how our first 22 would be looking for next year if this was the case and forget the talent on display, none of these boys would be heading home, two of them had fathers that played SANFL footy, what were our recruiters thinking

It's not really still early days though, football is over bar the draft Combine and character testing, and I'm not too sure athletic traits in that environment tell us very much we aren't already aware of having seen them in action doing actual football. Personally I think the Draft Combine has just become a feel good PR exercise for the AFL, hell half the top end talent won't even be doing the athletic testing. The most important testing is the character testing IMO, and even then you can get it very wrong. i.e. who would have picked Leaver to be a douche?
Could've just had a chat with his old man

One of the journalists tweeted it, Balmer maybe, can't remember now, They must have run off in groups or something because the final standings are.....Very surprising time by Miers there, wouldn't have picked him as an endurance guy did well in the other endurance test the Yo-YO too.

2km time trial
Dylan Moore (Vic Metro) 6:09 minutes
Lochie O’Brien (Vic Country) 6:12
Gryan Miers (Vic Country) 6:13
Andrew Brayshaw (Vic Metro) 6:14
Trent Mynott (Vic Metro) 6:14
Aiden Domic (Vic Country) 6:15
Changkuoth Jiath (Vic Country) 6:17
Angus Styles (Vic Metro) 6:17
Nathan Murphy (Vic Metro) 6:21
Jaidyn Stephenson (Vic Metro) 6:21
Ethan Floyd (Vic Country) 6:25
Stephenson wow he teats well plays well

Wouldn't be the worst number 1 pick just quietly but definitely top 5

Cerra doesn't excite me as a top 5 pick, the times I've seen him he really looked to lack decent pace and acceleration.??
Doesn't really matter, has some serious footskills and evasiveness, which means he is extremely classy

That said, he's 5th out of the five for mine, although I still seriously rate him.

We'd be in the conservation with Pick 10 for sure with Aiden and the bonus is his best mate Luke Davies-Unakie will likely go to Brisbane with their 1st pick.......We then bring the boys together in 2 years time..;)
Yeah or they both reunite in Victoria in 2 years.

What are people's thoughts on Andrew McPherson from WWT?

Missed the majority of the year with various injuries, but seems a likely type from some of descriptions I've read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this year the club may have taken a keener interest in SA talent with the loss of Dangerfield, CC and Lever over the last few years to the go home factor

If they had taken this step two years ago maybe just maybe we would see

Burton Instead of Doedee
Hayward instaed of Galluci
Graham instead of Pohlkoke

Not sure how our first 22 would be looking for next year if this was the case and forget the talent on display, none of these boys would be heading home, two of them had fathers that played SANFL footy, what were our recruiters thinking
Our team would pretty much look the same, except we'd have players that we thought weren't as good.

Doedee is ready to dominate next year, so that picks looking like genius.

Personally I think he's the 2nd best SA prospect after Fogarty and one that is almost a certainty to be a good AFL player, very good foot skills, good overhead, decent endurance, probably starts across half back but is one lad I could see transitioning into the midfield as he's not afraid to put his head over the footy and go hard.

SA's Houlahan, Coleman Jones and possibly Krueger probably go earlier in the draft according to the pundits but McPherson would be the one I'd take.

Although a little shorter I see him as similar prospect to Matt Scharenberg in his draft year, unfortunately he's had injuries this season that haven't allowed him to show his wares on the big stage but that could work to our advantage at the draft table.
Thanks for the info Bicks

Do you think he'll last to our second round pick if we keep it?

With Menzel and Cameron both gone, that small/medium fwd depth is essentially left to last year's draftees in Gooch, Davis and Jarman (could be missing someone obvious).

Assuming Garlett doesn't come over in a Lever trade, nor Motlop, who would be a good fit from this years draft as a ~180cm, speedy tackling machine. Most likely available in the rookie draft or late.

Personally Spargo would do me with a 30+ pick, but Vic Metro...

???? We could have had burton

Where is this genius

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Burton is alright. Good footballer. Not convinced he's ultimately a defender. Seems good at spreading for the footy but the juries out about him a competitive defender.

Doedee is a great intercepting mark and wants the challenge of winning contests as a defender.

And when Lever goes, he steps into that spot perfectly.

Sounds like a great pick to me.

Burton is alright. Good footballer. Not convinced he's ultimately a defender. Seems good at spreading for the footy but the juries out about him a competitive defender.

Doedee is a great intercepting mark and wants the challenge of winning contests as a defender.

You just started watching footy?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Jackson Edwards still on the cards as a father son pick this draft? Haven't heard much hype about it yet.

Alright? Gees, you're not in form at the moment are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back