News Update: Charles Cameron traded to Brisbane for Pick 12

Kerleys Ghost

Club Legend
May 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've seen a few media folk say 12 would be fair, that's what I'm referring to. Seems odd to me considering most Crows supporters seem to accept that 18/19 is fair.

There's a decent chance Brisbane s**t the bed and give up 12.

I'm not saying it's fair, but be prepared.

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's a decent chance Brisbane s**t the bed and give up 12.

I'm not saying it's fair, but be prepared.
I don't know what our trade plans are, so it's possible that we give up 12 if there's other aspects to the deal. But in terms of a straight 12 for Cameron swap, I'd be 100% confident in saying it won't happen. Not claiming any inside word, just can't see it happening at all.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I think most people recognise this one will get done for pick 18 or 19, but I've seen a few media types mention pick 12.
Genuine question, does anyone believe that if things were reversed (Brisbane had Cameron, Adelaide had picks 12, 18, and 19) that Brisbane wouldn't get laughed at by the media for even suggesting 12? Just can't help but feel that would be the case.

Pick 12 for Cameron would be daylight robbery much the same way 2 first rounders for Gibbs would be. The problem for Brisbane is that Charlie is under contract for 2018 and with Adelaide likely to get screwed in the Lever trade, they might try to play hardball with Brisbane here or block the trade entirely.

Honestly I think pick 18 would be a fair but I wouldn't blame Adelaide for trying to get 12. We're absolutely bleeding talent right now.

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pick 12 for Cameron would be daylight robbery much the same way 2 first rounders for Gibbs would be. The problem for Brisbane is that Charlie is under contract for 2018 and with Adelaide likely to get screwed in the Lever trade, they might try to play hardball with Brisbane here or block the trade entirely.

Honestly I think pick 18 would be a fair but I wouldn't blame Adelaide for trying to get 12. We're absolutely bleeding talent right now.
I'm not sure Brisbane would see that as too much of a problem. From our end it would just be "take 18/19 or we'll try again next year", I assume. It's not like Cameron is the missing piece of the puzzle for us, we have plenty of time up our sleeves.

Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
I don't know what our trade plans are, so it's possible that we give up 12 if there's other aspects to the deal. But in terms of a straight 12 for Cameron swap, I'd be 100% confident in saying it won't happen. Not claiming any inside word, just can't see it happening at all.

Cameron and 16 for 12 and 18?

Kerleys Ghost

Club Legend
May 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

We'll throw in Dean Gore.

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cameron and 16 for 12 and 18?
Not out of the realm of possibility, but personally I doubt it.
In my opinion we'll offer you 19 and say "take it or leave it". In the end we give you 18. If the club really wants Cameron in this year then maybe they go higher (Cameron and 16 for 12 and 18 is probably the next logical step in that case) but I don't think it will play out like that. We'll see.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure Brisbane would see that as too much of a problem. From our end it would just be "take 18/19 or we'll try again next year", I assume. It's not like Cameron is the missing piece of the puzzle for us, we have plenty of time up our sleeves.
Now see, I’d rather immediately have another 5 goals in a pre-lim than root around with developing a #18/19 pick, though that’s a very good pick, but I’d consider #12. I see Charles as a very important player, regardless of his inconsistent output, which I think was mainly due this year to his thoughts about Brisbane. When we go into finals in 2018, and make no mistake we certainly will be going into finals, I want Charles in the side while he’s ours. This goes against my renewed philosophy on whether to play or not to play wantaway players, but I’d make an exception knowing Charles’ output in finals....Lever, not so much.:)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Now see, I’d rather immediately have another 5 goals in a pre-lim than root around with developing a #18/19 pick, though that’s a very good pick, but I’d consider #12. I see Charles as a very important player, regardless of his inconsistent output, which I think was mainly due this year to his thoughts about Brisbane. When we go into finals in 2018, and make no mistake we certainly will be going into finals, I want Charles in the side while he’s ours. This goes against my renewed philosophy on whether to play or not to play wantaway players, but I’d make an exception knowing Charles’ output in finals....Lever, not so much.:)
& 1 goal and 6 Clangers in a Grand final?

Pick 18/19 is fair. Pick 12 is making out like bandits.

And that's if he doesn't get the sulks if we hold him to his contract.

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fair enough. Out of interest, would that still hold true if you knew for a fact it would result in him leaving at the end of next year for a pick in the 35-40 range?

Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Not out of the realm of possibility, but personally I doubt it.
In my opinion we'll offer you 19 and say "take it or leave it". In the end we give you 18. If the club really wants Cameron in this year then maybe they go higher (Cameron and 16 for 12 and 18 is probably the next logical step in that case) but I don't think it will play out like that. We'll see.

You won’t have 19. BL have already raised the possibility of another priority pick, and so while the VFL will say no to that, they’ll happily sign off on a first rd pick (#2) for Rockliff since Lobbe will go to you guys for stuff all so sport can raise the contract value. It’s draft tampering and the Crows would be done for it, but as I said, the VFL will tick it off for you guys. And when you have 1&2 you’ll be more willing to give up 12.

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You won’t have 19. BL have already raised the possibility of another priority pick, and so while the VFL will say no to that, they’ll happily sign off on a first rd pick (#2) for Rockliff since Lobbe will go to you guys for stuff all so sport can raise the contract value. It’s draft tampering and the Crows would be done for it, but as I said, the VFL will tick it off for you guys. And when you have 1&2 you’ll be more willing to give up 12.

If we get pick 2 for Rocky (which I doubt) then I could see us being more likely to move on 12 for sure. I still doubt it would be a straight swap even in those circumstances though, maybe the aforementioned Cameron + 16 for 12 + 18.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It's been said before but if we hold Charlie to his contract we're going to see a whole new level of shitty output.

Proven that he can't play when he's distracted or unhappy.

Spot on, it is possible he would leave mid year.

I think pick 18/19 is a good trade. Based on form this year we are probably slightly ahead.

Back