Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is he up to with his injuries?
He had a full reconstruction from his brief rugby dalliance before we drafted him and no recurrence or issues with the reconstruction.
Since then to my knowledge he's done the PCL on both knees.
Ruckman's impact injury generally and I think he had surgery for the last one and maybe just rehab for the first.
200cm 100kg wrecking ball may have to modify his approach.He's also got similar aerobic capacity to Tabs so if he can stay out there he's a weapon.

Michael Apeness could be our rabbit in the hat for next season, the forgotten man who plays deep, draws a defender, brings the ball to ground and puts on the huge hits that makes the opposition defenders rush their use.

This is about as tiresome as the Hogan speculation.

He had a full reconstruction from his brief rugby dalliance before we drafted him and no recurrence or issues with the reconstruction.
Since then to my knowledge he's done the PCL on both knees.
Ruckman's impact injury generally and I think he had surgery for the last one and maybe just rehab for the first.
200cm 100kg wrecking ball may have to modify his approach.He's also got similar aerobic capacity to Tabs so if he can stay out there he's a weapon.

how long does "if" last

Ape is 22 but it seems like he's been around forever. He is an absolute monster and if fit is capable of being something special. The difference between Ape and Tabs is that Ape can't be easily moved away from the fall of the ball which makes him much harder to outmark. He's also a much better part time ruck option.

Unfortunately he really needs to stay fit and have some impact next season or he's done.

Ape is 22 but it seems like he's been around forever. He is an absolute monster and if fit is capable of being something special. The difference between Ape and Tabs is that Ape can't be easily moved away from the fall of the ball which makes him much harder to outmark. He's also a much better part time ruck option.

Unfortunately he really needs to stay fit and have some impact next season or he's done.

Have we heard anything about Tab's injury from the WAFL Grand Final ? Thought he may have injured his knee?

What's the current consensus?

Wilson = future second
Matera = pick 45 for Balic
pick 39 = Crozier
Seems about right to me in terms of value and most basic trade scenarios. If what Young has said is correct about Matera and Wilson already being done deals you'd think things won't be too complicated and occur very early once the trade period begins. I'd like it if we got a better pick for Crozier though, say Freo give: Crozier + 55 for Pick 26 back from the Dogs.

Last edited:
No way Hayes goes at 10. We may entertain a slide to just outside top 10 at which time he comes into play but I highly doubt it. I've grown to like Jaidyn Stephenson at 5. North are a big show at pick 4, which will likely mean one of Cerra or Dow may drop to 5.

Why do we need to be so desperate for a spud ruckman. Spencer from Melbourne is 29 next year and forever injured. Port are desperate to offload Lobbe because he is 29 and crapola. Even Nicholls has barely played the last couple of years. We had opportunity to pick up Witts or Nankervis last year and showed zero interest.

I don't think Rhys Stanley is as spudley as those mentioned above but others have killed the idea as terrible. I'm not sold on him but he far more versatile and younger than both. I wasn't sold on Casboult but everytime I mentioned him as a ruck/fwd I got shot quickly but now we have degenerated to Lobbe and Spencer.

What about Corey Gault. Again not the best but better than Lobbe and Spencer:

200cm, 100kg, 28.10.1992
6 games with the Pies between 2012-2016
Averaged 18.6 possessions and 25 hit outs in 2017 WAFL season
http://www.swandistrictsfc.com.au/news/13421/corey-gault-named-ruckman-in-waflcomau-team-of-the-year

Jury will be out on Ape to end if 2018. Remember the issues Patton had with his knees..... Apeness also broke a collar bone which cost him half a year so it isn't all knee injuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we working to facilitate a trade to Balic’s club of choice and not to the highest bidder in Melbourne, given that getting back to Melb was ostensibly his only concern? I realise there may be not be other takers but it struck me as odd.

Because the player has to agree to the trade.

Not sure if anyone listened to Sport Today on 6PR this morning but Haggers was adamant and persistent that this week Hogan had talks with his family and reckons this week Hogan may request a trade back to WA after Melbourne's best and fairest. He was also sure the offer is two first round picks and if he comes back to Perth the only club he'd play for is Fremantle.

Also, ALOT of callers were calling up to say this Richmond game plan isn't new and that this is basically Freo 2013.

Not sure if anyone listened to Sport Today on 6PR this morning but Haggers was adamant and persistent that this week Hogan had talks with his family and reckons this week Hogan may request a trade back to WA after Melbourne's best and fairest. He was also sure the offer is two first round picks and if he comes back to Perth the only club he'd play for is Fremantle.

Also, ALOT of callers were calling up to say this Richmond game plan isn't new and that this is basically Freo 2013.

I heard that Lloyd was seen dining with Freo's potential pick 5 Wally Walpamur at the Melbourne Marriott. Illustrating a striking physique comparable with the likes of Wayne Carey, he will be freo's answer to their search for a long time chf.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Haggars.

Wally is your classic gorilla forward.

photo.jpg

Back