List Mgmt. Trade Away Our 2018 1st Pick

So from just two videos you can see why people are talking up next years draft like they are. Take Terry Wallace's opinion with a grain of salt I suppose but he doesnt think anyone from this years draft would get top 6 next year, when you see Hill's highlight package and realise he's rated roughly top 5, you can see why. Long story short, unless its Jesse Hogan, you don't trade next years 1st round pick under any circumstance.

Feb 18, 2014
Victorian Cheer Squad
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient, Peel, Glory, MU, TCU
So from just two videos you can see why people are talking up next years draft like they are. Take Terry Wallace's opinion with a grain of salt I suppose but he doesnt think anyone from this years draft would get top 6 next year, when you see Hill's highlight package and realise he's rated roughly top 5, you can see why. Long story short, unless its Jesse Hogan, you don't trade next years 1st round pick under any circumstance.

This. Close thread plz.

I have him top 5 atm because we've yet to see some of the other highly rated draft prospects for next year in the u18s (eg the King brothers). Thought Hill would have come close to u18s AA as a bottom ager. Other than Lukosius, Rankine, and possibly the King twins, who else do you have a ahead of him?

I rate him just for the single passage of play at 50s mark of the video below.

I havent looked at all the videos but I'd have to agree, Hill has to be close to top 5, I think its his height apparently keeping him from being a lock. Rozee from SA is the third of the holy SA trio (Lukosious and Rankine being the other two) tipped to be a lock for top 5 next year. Plays like Fyfe I believe, tall strong midfielder with a good pair of hands. Off the top of my head I think its King x 2, Lukosious, Rankine, Rozee that could push Hill down. Sam Walsh from Vic is also highly rated and think there might have been one more SA kid pushing up the ranks by the end of the season

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I havent looked at all the videos but I'd have to agree, Hill has to be close to top 5, I think its his height apparently keeping him from being a lock. Rozee from SA is the third of the holy SA trio (Lukosious and Rankine being the other two) tipped to be a lock for top 5 next year. Plays like Fyfe I believe, tall strong midfielder with a good pair of hands. Off the top of my head I think its King x 2, Lukosious, Rankine, Rozee that could push Hill down. Sam Walsh from Vic is also highly rated and think there might have been one more SA kid pushing up the ranks by the end of the season
Jackson Hately is probably the other one from SA? I think Rozee's a 1st round pick but there's something I'm not convinced about yet with him. Anyway a long way to go before these guys will be drafted. This time last year we were probably all be locking in Darcy Fogarty as the #1 pick for 2017. And Petrevski-Seton the year before that. Or Will Brodie a few months later. I wouldn't be upset with any of these names mind you.

Jackson Hately is probably the other one from SA? I think Rozee's a 1st round pick but there's something I'm not convinced about yet with him. Anyway a long way to go before these guys will be drafted. This time last year we were probably all be locking in Darcy Fogarty as the #1 pick for 2017. And Petrevski-Seton the year before that. Or Will Brodie a few months later. I wouldn't be upset with any of these names mind you.
Hately was the one, and yeah, I'm same as you, dont know what the massive wraps on Rozee are about but my draft knowledge is limited to watching a few youtube videos so what would I know

kingross29

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
St.George, Boston Celtics
Ok.... I want you to think this through very carefully....

Freo back in 2001 traded picks 1, 20 and 36 for Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin. Hawks used pick 1 on luke Hodge and 36 on sam Mitchell. those 2 helped the hawks beat us in the 2013 GF. Trent Croad went back to the hawks after 2 years. We got laughed at for many years because of that.

The 2018 draft like the 2001 draft is a very good draft and you want to trade out 2018 1st rounder away?

Looking back on McPharlin's career you would give up picks 20 and 36 for him in a heartbeat.
Then #1 for Croad was a mistake, he was mishandled just like a lot of the club back then. We then traded him back for pick 10.

So we gave up pick 1, 20 and 36 for McPharlin, pick 10 and 2 years rental of Trent Croad.

The Hawks used 2 of their 3 picks wisely. They wasted the %^*@ of of pick 20. Would we have picked Hodge? If we picked Luke he would have been done by then, if we had picked Judd he would have left us for Victoria by then. Plus we wasted pick 10 on Ryley Dunn.

Our drafting has been pretty good over the last few years, and if we are going the extreme case situation I'll throw one in too. Remember we got Fyfe at pick 20. Imagine getting a gun with our pick 5, then 2 more Nat Fyfe's!!!!! What a team we would have.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I swear next year is always the stringer draft
True. Kinda like bigfooty Fremantle style, goes like this:

Freo bigfooty during the season - we need a forward, cry cry cry
Draft time - draft best available, that mid is too good to ignore, go for a kpf next year
Next season - even more crying for a forward
Next draft - same as previous.
Repeat process.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
True. Kinda like bigfooty Fremantle style, goes like this:

Freo bigfooty during the season - we need a forward, cry cry cry
Draft time - draft best available, that mid is too good to ignore, go for a kpf next year
Next season - even more crying for a forward
Next draft - same as previous.
Repeat process.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair we generally haven't had a pick to get us a KPF. 2016 and 2017 were the only ones but the 2016 KPF was Marshall and he slid a lot in the back half of the year. Brander seems to be doing the same. No point in reaching for them if we don't rate them.

Otherwise I agree. We may yet take Brander or Hayes anyway.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair we generally haven't had a pick to get us a KPF. 2016 and 2017 were the only ones but the 2016 KPF was Marshall and he slid a lot in the back half of the year. Brander seems to be doing the same. No point in reaching for them if we don't rate them.

Otherwise I agree. We may yet take Brander or Hayes anyway.

I always get confused , was it the Marshall who played for Port in the finals or the one at the Saints ( maybe ) who we could have taken last year

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I always get confused , was it the Marshall who played for Port in the finals or the one at the Saints ( maybe ) who we could have taken last year

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Port one named Todd. Apparently he goes alright in the SANFL (according to their fans) so I suppose you can take that with a grain of salt for now.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
To be fair to the doubters, look up highlights of Max King, Jack Lukosious (especially his SANFL league debut in a final) and Izak Rankine.
These three in particular just seem incredible talents (I'm especially keen on the second two). This isnt even taking into account the likes of Ian Hill from WA
I don't see us having a top 3 pick, so not relevant. But I am very interested in O'Reilly and Hill. We can pay for Carter with later picks.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't see us having a top 3 pick, so not relevant. But I am very interested in O'Reilly and Hill. We can pay for Carter with later picks.

I reckon Lukosius will slip down the rankings by next year. He is quite inconsistent at the moment (some games are great, others almost unsighted), and not an optimal size for a key position player and never kicks more than 3 goals a game; he finished the season playing quite a bit of time in defence. Did nothing in the U17s game. See Jarrod Brander to see what will happen with him; will turn into a defender to develop his versatility and will probably be Pick 7 - 15.

Max King will suffer the same fate as Sam Hayes this year, possibly worse - he is not a "kick a bag" forward, and his mobility will push him into the next year ruck more. Even Hayes had a game where he kick six; probably pick 15 - 20 range.

Rankine is a natural in the same way as Petrevski-Seton...which means they will probably sit a tagger on him all season; both he and Hill are a bit small (sub 180cm) for my liking but they are pretty good - picks 4 - 6.

But honestly I don't think 2019 will be that much better.

:p

I reckon Lukosius will slip down the rankings by next year. He is quite inconsistent at the moment (some games are great, others almost unsighted), and not an optimal size for a key position player and never kicks more than 3 goals a game; he finished the season playing quite a bit of time in defence. Did nothing in the U17s game. See Jarrod Brander to see what will happen with him; will turn into a defender to develop his versatility and will probably be Pick 7 - 15.

Max King will suffer the same fate as Sam Hayes this year, possibly worse - he is not a "kick a bag" forward, and his mobility will push him into the next year ruck more. Even Hayes had a game where he kick six; probably pick 15 - 20 range.

Rankine is a natural in the same way as Petrevski-Seton...which means they will probably sit a tagger on him all season; both he and Hill are a bit small (sub 180cm) for my liking but they are pretty good - picks 4 - 6.

Cant tell if serious...

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Didn't Lukosious kick 4 on league debut? In a prelim?

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Cant tell if serious...

Partially not serious, but people are going nuts about these players and I would add a layer of caution. From following drafts for probably ten years now at a medium level, you can get severly burnt trying to translate their U16/U17 performance levels into draft position (Oddly though, not so much, how well they perform at AFL level). Some things to consider:

(1) Recruiters only rate performances so far, recognizing that AFL level is a different game almost entirely.
(2) Recruiters rate (higher that the average punter) athletic traits.
(3) Recruiters rate versatility / the ability to play more than one position
(4) Development coaches have a vested interest in getting players drafted, so the coach to (3), often at the expense of (1).
(5) Recruiters are ranking based upon how they believe a player will perform 3-4 years after drafted, not how close they will go to winning the NAB rising star award.

Using these tenets, I can see easily some of these "sure-thing" top 5s slipping out of the top 5.

Knowing our luck, we'd trade it for picks #17 and #35 - then come last next year and realise that we gave away the #1 pick for the equivalent of Tim Ruffles and Casey Sibosado.

#15 & #17 this year seems way too risky for what will likely be available to Fremantle next year.

Don't do it.

Back