News All Hail our new Emperor - Mark Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems to be this automatic acceptance that Lethlean would be a good CEO. I am not sure why. He has a very good footy background - playing, coaching and administration but CEO is another matter again. I'm not sure he has the real commercial background. Clubs have footy departments and teams to run football operations. The CEO needs to understand the football side of things but he needs a strong commercial background.

He was being groomed for Gils role and the roles of a club CEO and the league CEO are incredibly different, IMO.

There seems to be this automatic acceptance that Lethlean would be a good CEO. I am not sure why. He has a very good footy background - playing, coaching and administration but CEO is another matter again. I'm not sure he has the real commercial background. Clubs have footy departments and teams to run football operations. The CEO needs to understand the football side of things but he needs a strong commercial background.
And have the wit to not meddle in the FD

The HS today reports "Ex-Victorian major events chief Brendan McClements is a lead candidate to win the Collingwood role, currently filled by interim CEO Peter Murphy.". Who is Brendan McClements?

The Age today reports "Ex-Victorian major events chief Brendan McClements is a lead candidate to win the Collingwood role, currently filled by interim CEO Peter Murphy.". Who is Brendan McClements?
He's referenced here

He was being groomed for Gils role and the roles of a club CEO and the league CEO are incredibly different, IMO.
Yes they are but I also question his commercial credentials for either role. Carlton just pushed Trigg because he wasn't commercial enough.

I don't know if he is or isn't CEO material but I do hear a lot of commentary that he is an ideal CEO from media people who wouldn't have the first idea what a CEO needs to be. Some of them can't even write properly. Then this sort of comment gains momentum. What I suspect Carlton want from him, as much as anything, is the AFL relationship.

And have the wit to not meddle in the FD
The CEO should be part of the team with the board that measure FD heads but you are right they shouldn't try and make FD decisions or direct those involved.

Yes they are but I also question his commercial credentials for either role. Carlton just pushed Trigg because he wasn't commercial enough. I don't know if he is or isn't CEO material but I do hear a lot of commentary that he is an ideal CEO from media people who wouldn't have the first idea what a CEO needs to be. 1. Some of them can't even write properly. Then this sort of comment gains momentum. What I suspect Carlton want from him, as much as anything, is the AFL relationship.
1. Got a few friends in that department

I seem to recall Carlton pushed Greg Swann because they weren't happy with growth (lack of?) in membership numbers

Since Stephen Gough left they've churned through CEOs at a fair rate

Last edited:
Yes they are but I also question his commercial credentials for either role. Carlton just pushed Trigg because he wasn't commercial enough.

I don't know if he is or isn't CEO material but I do hear a lot of commentary that he is an ideal CEO from media people who wouldn't have the first idea what a CEO needs to be. Some of them can't even write properly. Then this sort of comment gains momentum. What I suspect Carlton want from him, as much as anything, is the AFL relationship.
You do make good points here.
The media beholden to the AFL will at times / often? see things through the AFL lens.
I'd suspect many large business and corporations CEOs gain their cred by the same thing, getting pushed by their colleagues as being CEO material.
Who you know, that sort of thing.

Ps you're right too, some in the media can't write properly (eg Robbo, appalling writing skills and even worse when he talks err slurs).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a great read from Caro.
To all those that wondered what the concerns about Pert were; aside from his supposed meddling there's this...
"The 10-year CEO who was given his marching orders in July after Murphy's review of the club's administration painted a toxic picture of disunity, disharmony and widespread insecurity.
Football boss Geoff Walsh, reviewing the football department, had already unearthed an equally unhappy environment where the vast majority of staff and coaches had been handed one-year contracts under the Pert regime and were forever looking over their shoulders"

For those that doubted whether an "insider" doing a review could be impartial there's this...

"Former AFL football boss Simon Lethlean had aspirations for the Collingwood role and McGuire was keen on Lethlean. The two men discussed the position in August but Murphy, with the backing of the Magpies board, insisted on a thorough search process – something completely foreign to the Magpies' recruiting style. The directors and Murphy won."
And this...
"McGuire reportedly also told Allan, suspended by the AFL for 12 months for his pivotal role in the Lachie Whitfield affair, that there would be a job for him at the end of his forced sabbatical. Again Murphy made it clear that whatever the truth behind any presidential undertaking from McGuire, that this was not going to happen."

And this ties in with what I was told...

"Last season Buckley coached with one hand behind his back and a largely unhappy team of insecure assistants. He might be on a last chance but the coach will embark upon that with a markedly improved environment".

Normally not a believer of caro's word, but believe there is some truths in this article - looking at the article I'd say it's been dramatised a bit by caro. If it is true that Murphy has demanded process when looking at the appointment of the new ceo then that would explain why no one has been given the job yet - very heartening!

To all those that wondered what the concerns about Pert were; aside from his supposed meddling there's this...
"The 10-year CEO who was given his marching orders in July after Murphy's review of the club's administration painted a toxic picture of disunity, disharmony and widespread insecurity.
Football boss Geoff Walsh, reviewing the football department, had already unearthed an equally unhappy environment where the vast majority of staff and coaches had been handed one-year contracts under the Pert regime and were forever looking over their shoulders"

For those that doubted whether an "insider" doing a review could be impartial there's this...

"Former AFL football boss Simon Lethlean had aspirations for the Collingwood role and McGuire was keen on Lethlean. The two men discussed the position in August but Murphy, with the backing of the Magpies board, insisted on a thorough search process – something completely foreign to the Magpies' recruiting style. The directors and Murphy won."
And this...
"McGuire reportedly also told Allan, suspended by the AFL for 12 months for his pivotal role in the Lachie Whitfield affair, that there would be a job for him at the end of his forced sabbatical. Again Murphy made it clear that whatever the truth behind any presidential undertaking from McGuire, that this was not going to happen."

"Last season Buckley coached with one hand behind his back and a largely unhappy team of insecure assistants. He might be on a last chance but the coach will embark upon that with a markedly improved environment".
Another fall guy for the back Buckley brigade.

And we as a club got out of jail with the Gubbiness debacle.
Phew. Thankfully we have Geoff Walsh back, that was our get of jail card.

Seems the Pert poison was very real.

But it's done now. We have Walsh, good.

Always forwards, never backwards.

And this...

Sounds like Murphy is the one we should be hiring

Normally not a believer of caro's word, but believe there is some truths in this article - looking at the article I'd say it's been dramatised a bit by caro. If it is true that Murphy has demanded process when looking at the appointment of the new ceo then that would explain why no one has been given the job yet - very heartening!
Heartening perhaps but bloody damning that even now it was still required and not a given. What happens next time when Murphy isn't there and there isn't a review highlighting exactly the decision making process that lead to so many poor decisions? How does Pert get 10 years given his shortcomings other than because he was Eddie's appointment and then only get sacked as the result of a review?? How was he measured for 10 years and by whom? How will the replacement be measured and by whom?

Heartening perhaps but bloody damning that even now it was still required and not a given. What happens next time when Murphy isn't there and there isn't a review highlighting exactly the decision making process that lead to so many poor decisions? How does Pert get 10 years given his shortcomings other than because he was Eddie's appointment and then only get sacked as the result of a review?? How was he measured for 10 years and by whom? How will the replacement be measured and by whom?
I get your lack of faith, but right now it looks there is a stringent process in place to replace pert rather than a cafe verbal agreement. I'd also add I wouldn't believe that when Murphy goes stringent processes are just thrown out the window with the baby and bathwater it's obvious to me at least that the club and Ed have self admitted poor club management and governance and by undertaking the "blue print" that proper protocol of off field decisions won't be taken so lightly in the near and long term future. Even though nothing has been proven yet; that being on field improvement I'm looking at the whole blue print with a cup half full not half empty purely because it looks like the club can see it's faults in recent years and seem to be taking (or attempting to) corrective action

Murphy sounds like a badass. Good to see he’s kicking some heads and not stroking ego’s like everyone else under Ed’s reign.
Unfortunate it came to this - no surprise given Ed had no idea of the difference between governance and management - looks like Murphy has set them on the right path - hope the new CEO continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back