Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamish Brayshaw, Derek Smith, Aidan Tilley, callan Wellings and Sam Fowler would be some.

Jonty Scharenberg would be one for sure from the SANFL and from WA would look at the kid Banfield.

You'd think someone would throw Tyler Keitel a rookie opportunity.

Made the WAFL team of the year last season at full back and this year did it again only this time it was at full forward.

You'd think someone would throw Tyler Keitel a rookie opportunity.

Made the WAFL team of the year last season at full back and this year did it again only this time it was at full forward.
Ben Brown came from being overlooked in a similar manner IIRC, someone's gonna get value with Keitel.

Unless there's other factors we aren't aware of like there were with that guy that Richmond drafted a few years ago with the clinical depression.

Thanks. That he had an injury excuse seems to be an argument that he is being undervalued atm imo.

Pure outside players seem to be becoming very underrated. Contested ball winning ability isn't the be all end all imo, we have about the best collection of contested ball winning mids in the AFL and it hasn't done that much for us. What we desperately need are a few players who can get on then end of handballs and hit targets. We have no-one who can do this other than Wells and an inconsistent WHE who needs to find at least 5 more disposals per game to be considered quality. I'd endorse trading down if it meant we could get O'Brien + another mid teens pick, especially considering there seems to be no guaranteed quality in this draft outside the top 2-3. Could also put us in a position to get Balta although I'm still skeptical he makes it outside the top 10 despite what everyone lists on their draft boards.
Yeah it’s definitely an interesting topic. I am in the camp that you still have to be able to find the ball because the purely outside types can go missing for large periods of time when they aren’t getting fed the ball. I think St.Kilda will be looking at him with one of their picks.

These two may have made them re-evaluate their methodology.
IMO no harm in re-evaluating the methodology but I don't see an issue yet with Shaz - needs at least another year injury free to see what he's got. Aish I think they also need to be evaluating their list structure as there's an argument he's been played out of position and another argument they haven't developed him well enough including things like continuity for confidence.

There should be no negative to seeing how a junior performs against seniors. Obviously a tick doesn't guarantee being able to step up to the highest level but there's always some who will be found out even at the lower level that are 'stars' in juniors.

Yeah it’s definitely an interesting topic. I am in the camp that you still have to be able to find the ball because the purely outside types can go missing for large periods of time when they aren’t getting fed the ball. I think St.Kilda will be looking at him with one of their picks.
Forward pockets go missing for large periods of time also. Not everyone can be playing the ball/ tackling the ball carrier at once. Outside types need to be contributing though when not playing the ball - covering options running out of opposition defense, running offensive patterns and creating spread for opposition to cover etc. Above all outside types need to add maximum value when they do gain posession and find attacking options securely.

IMO no harm in re-evaluating the methodology but I don't see an issue yet with Shaz - needs at least another year injury free to see what he's got. Aish I think they also need to be evaluating their list structure as there's an argument he's been played out of position and another argument they haven't developed him well enough including things like continuity for confidence.

There should be no negative to seeing how a junior performs against seniors. Obviously a tick doesn't guarantee being able to step up to the highest level but there's always some who will be found out even at the lower level that are 'stars' in juniors.
I can't see the issue with Shaz, if he hasn't been seriously hampered by injuries SINCE joining the Pies then no one has. This coming season will be instructive.

Forward pockets go missing for large periods of time also. Not everyone can be playing the ball/ tackling the ball carrier at once. Outside types need to be contributing though when not playing the ball - covering options running out of opposition defense, running offensive patterns and creating spread for opposition to cover etc. Above all outside types need to add maximum value when they do gain posession and find attacking options securely.
I understand that but they still need to have a good mix of inside and out in today’s game imo. Not many of the top outside players make it purely as an outside mid. Having some contested game style is so helpful. Recruiters will be looking for that come draft day.

I understand that but they still need to have a good mix of inside and out in today’s game imo. Not many of the top outside players make it purely as an outside mid. Having some contested game style is so helpful. Recruiters will be looking for that come draft day.
Truth even the most outside player must be prepared to get it, it's just a matter of focus really. I'd rate 80% outside, 20% inside for the best outsiders. Having said that Didak was about 5% inside lol.

I feel the need... the need for speed

Picks: 6 37 55 60 79 97

Coffield Ross Farrell Daniels Paton T Brown

Realistic gets with plenty of toe, trade for keys

Truth even the most outside player must be prepared to get it, it's just a matter of focus really. I'd rate 80% outside, 20% inside for the best outsiders. Having said that Didak was about 5% inside lol.
I think the magic number is 40% of possessions should be contested. Under that hard to get a look in.

Yes very true. What a champion though lol.

I think the magic number is 40% of possessions should be contested. Under that hard to get a look in.

Yes very true. What a champion though lol.
Didak was a hell of a player so got away with the 5% but Daicos - who I watched every game of his career - was so good Didak wasn't fit to shine his boots, was far more of a contested ball player. I saw Daicos' early career as a mid and you haven't seen evasiveness until you have watched footage of his early days in the pivot - stunning to say the least. Daicos could sell ice to the Eskimos inside a phone box whilst dodging an octopus lol.
Legend.

Do you think they will play Reid forward from Rd 1 next year. I thinking they might have a plan for Cox and Moore to the be two and Reid goes back. Not sure you can have Reid and Cox as both need to play close to goal so has to be Moore. Its also why not sure they will be going after Schache for the same reason.

We have to go for talls in my book. Brander is pretty binary if he there and we like him. It could well be that we dont and we dont rate Balta high enough hence in comes Coffield. I cant see it being Fogarty at this stage. Andrew Brayshaw would be a player I think they would rate but again its a bit high.
I agree + they give us nothing in forward pressure. Reid should play in defence seeing as his fitness is too unreliable and I reckon playing defence does less damage to our structure/chemistry if he does go down. + we have to find out if Cox can do the job (which we should of found out in 2017 if the coach was thinking further ahead than next week).

However whatever happens the thing I care most about is that whoever we decide to be our forwards in preseason will still be our forwards at the end of 2018. Not confident the way buckley coaches though, he's way too reactionary and when he does choose to be stubborn he picks the worst possible spots imo. One of the reasons we seem to be so dysfunctional week to week is because half the team don't really know how to play their position.

What's the problem with Fogarty? Seems like a good option if we want to hedge our bets on multiple positions and he seems to have low bust factor imo. Also think it's likely we see him playing senior footy earlier than Brander or Balta if that's something we want to consider.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's exactly what we need but go home factor is becoming such a risk for every club that you have to factor the risk in to any decision
We've basically had the SA under 21 side the last few years and the only one who left was forced out. I'd back ourselves to retain in most circumstances especially SA players - Adelaide is an awful place (flown over it twice fwiw).

Didak was a hell of a player so got away with the 5% but Daicos - who I watched every game of his career - was so good Didak wasn't fit to shine his boots, was far more of a contested ball player. I saw Daicos' early career as a mid and you haven't seen evasiveness until you have watched footage of his early days in the pivot - stunning to say the least. Daicos could sell ice to the Eskimos inside a phone box whilst dodging an octopus lol.
Legend.
Gastev says hi

Coffield is going to be very good. Would love to have him. But we take him where do our KPP come from? AND DECENT KPP NOT s**t ONES

I think you have more chance recruiting an excellent midfielder with great skills than a KPP in the first 5-10 picks in the draft.

There have been many KPP drafted in the first 5 who haven’t had the impact expected, while skilled midfielders can really excel here.

If Coffield has the pace, awareness and foot skills, he should be priority IMO.

Unfortunately, we haven’t recruited skilled midfielders with early picks we have had in drafts (apart from Pendles, Thomas, DeGoey). They have (DeGoey is heading in the right direction), proven to be match winners. The cost in getting treloar in was huge.

The fact is, we don’t need a KPP matchwinner. We have that in Moore. We need a key forward to simple play a role. In terms of defence, you can pick them up in the second/third round, or even trade for them. The blues have basically done this with GWS players at little cost.

2018 draft?
‘Next year’ is pretty much what we’ve been saying for the past 5-6 years. It’s gotten to the point where we can’t afford to wait until the next year to draft some KPP.

The fact is, we don’t need a KPP matchwinner. We have that in Moore. We need a key forward to simple play a role.
This is not fact, it’s your opinion, and it’s a stretch at best because although Moore might become a matchwinner in time, he’s not yet and may never become one. Many are projecting him as an above average second forward/ruck, and while I think he’ll become better than that it would be irresponsible list management to just assume he becomes a match winning elite KPF.

World's most livable city 7 years straight
Being Melbourne.

Great city and all, but suggest this does not take into account public transport

This is not fact, it’s your opinion, and it’s a stretch at best because although Moore might become a matchwinner in time, he’s not yet and may never become one. Many are projecting him as an above average second forward/ruck, and while I think he’ll become better than that it would be irresponsible list management to just assume he becomes a match winning elite KPF.

Do you need a KPF to actually be a matchwinner? I don’t think so IMO!

‘Next year’ is pretty much what we’ve been saying for the past 5-6 years. It’s gotten to the point where we can’t afford to wait until the next year to draft some KPP.
Why get someone who is inferior this year for the sake of taking a tall with a high pick? KPP’s are not our only deficiencies.

Back