What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wished the main Saturday and Sunday game still started at 2:10 not 3 o'clock. So when you watch on TV you can get the post match Analysis not just cut straight to the news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add to this, the Friday night 7:50 time is a ridiculously late start in my mind.

I went to the Dees/Swans game this year, I was exhausted after a week of work as most people are, and then game didn't start till 7:50 during winter. Add to that I live rather close to the city and didn't get home till 11:30. Just insane scheduling.

Raise the draft age to 20 or 21.

So many positives for football.

-Improves the quality of the Comp
-increases certainty in the draft meaning greater equalisation in the long hall.
- even improves player welfare.
- improves the quality of lower level leagues (WAFL/ SANFL/ VFL)

So So many positives. This needs to happen asap.

When the 30 sec countdown ends then play on is called if you haven’t kicked it. Players can still take 35-40 seconds to kick for goal (Watts does this every week) as long as they start their run up by the time the clock ends. Takes less interpretation out of the rule, ump blows his whistle when the clock hits zero.

Also when the umpire blows his whistle for a free the player in question must hand the ball back to the umpire or risk giving away 50m. Stops those silly time wasting tactics when the player is pretending not to know whose free it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raise the draft age to 20 or 21.

So many positives for football.

-Improves the quality of the Comp
-increases certainty in the draft meaning greater equalisation in the long hall.
- even improves player welfare.
- improves the quality of lower level leagues (WAFL/ SANFL/ VFL)

So So many positives. This needs to happen asap.
I dont agree that it would improve the quality of the comp. There are many 18-20 year olds that are better players than those older. It could do the opposite because older guys that aren't as good will be getting games.

I dont agree that it would improve the quality of the comp. There are many 18-20 year olds that are better players than those older. It could do the opposite because older guys that aren't as good will be getting games.

I don't believe this to be true.

There are some superstars in the 18-20 category but they aren't superstars until 22+.

There are many of players in the Lower leagues that could play at the same level as the 18-20 years until they become good enough to enter the league.

To me this is a no brainer. One of my biggest frustrations re. The league at the moment is the number of players who are given games early in their careers just because they are young.

Also keep in Mind there are a number of players drafted at 18 that wouldn't even get a look in by the age of 21.

There are some 18 - 20 year olds who are already very good players. But they are in a minority. Consequently, an age limit of 21 would almost certainly raise the overall standard of the league.

For every Bontempelli, there is a dozen youngsters being gifted games.

Nevertheless, I disagree with an age limit since careers are already short enough and reducing the earning capacity of footballers further is unfair.

Maybe we should be doing more to lengthen careers.

Ffs, Boomer Harvey was still one of the clubs best and got shown the door for no other reason than his age.

With a bit of work I'm sure clubs can extend most careers to 35 if the player is good enough and keeps fit, and their should be an AFL incentive to do so.

Sent from mTalk

I'm not sure if it's unpopular, but I don't think Richmond was even close to the best team this year.
My first thought was how embarrassing for the competition that they won the flag.
The easiest draw and no injuries were obviously the key plus having no fear or respect from other sides.
Next year will be a thumping letdown.

Maybe we should be doing more to lengthen careers.

Ffs, Boomer Harvey was still one of the clubs best and got shown the door for no other reason than his age.

With a bit of work I'm sure clubs can extend most careers to 35 if the player is good enough and keeps fit, and their should be an AFL incentive to do so.

Sent from mTalk
I think you will find they already are doing that for the few players in their 30s that still deserve to be on a list. Short of going the soccer route, and routinely rotating players out of the squad so they have a lighter load. Even then, I am not sure it will help, as a large part of the performance drop is simple age, not wear and tear. Also, would a club play a star in only 2/3s of games from the time he is 25, in the hope they get a couple more years from him in his 30s?

Its also genetics, just because Boomer can play well at that age, it doesn't mean many others can.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it's unpopular, but I don't think Richmond was even close to the best team this year.
My first thought was how embarrassing for the competition that they won the flag.
The easiest draw and no injuries were obviously the key plus having no fear or respect from other sides.
Next year will be a thumping letdown.

Which teams do you consider better out of curiosity? One of the 3 teams that we thumped in the finals? The Port team that couldn't beat us on our home deck? Sydney maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back