Toast Elliot Yeo - 2017 JW Medallist

F719F3B9-343D-4C46-902A-B222519F8931.jpeg

Well done Elliot, a fantastic season!

All your praises and adulation for Elliot here.

Last edited:
Very deserving winner. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

We watched a much more consistent player this season and I have no doubt that his best football is ahead of him as I suspect that he has another level in him, no reason to think that he couldn't become an A grader and one of the competitions leading players.

Great acquisition to the Club so kudos to those in the Trading & Recruiting Department for a job well done.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Seriously, when the news came that he had requested a trade to West Coast how many of us thought he would be a future Best & Fairest?

Great season, hopefully it's the start of big things.

We reached the Grand Final in 2015 because several players took that big step and played like genuine stars.

We weren't quite so successful this year because it was really only Yeo that reached the next level. Amazing player to watch and so, so deserving.

Hopefully Yeo keeps it up next year and others follow his lead. Reckon Sheed and Duggan are Shue ins at least. :thumbsu:

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Question remains, where will Simmo play him next year?

I like him roaming half back, but I suspect he will be predominantly in the middle next year

EagleShore

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, deserved winner for his general reliability and clean play. Many times he backed himself offensively off half-back and I thought it'd end up in tears, but it invariably worked.

One of the handful of our players who undoubtedly has a strong place in the competition as it stands today (aerial talent and evasive flair with reliable disposal).

If he can successfully make the transition into the midfield, that will be a bonus, but I wouldn't mind him staying back where he did his best work this year.

Not taking credit for his season, but I yelled quite audibly at him that he needed a big preseason after he missed that set-shot in the final term of the 2016 elimination final.

In retrospect I feel like a tool, but it may've actually paid off. Well it did for him anyway; his form was genuinely one of the more exciting/positive features of season 2017.

* it, I'm taking credit for his season.

archiemoses

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Listened to his speech and he said the boys will have to put up with him for a couple more years? I hope he doesn't plan on going anywhere after his current contract

Tasfut

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Great season, congrats to him!

The Lions have now lost 2 club b&f winners/all australian members with Yeo and Docherty in recent years

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
what an unbleiveable return to form after one of the most disappointing seasons. Simmo using him as a utility nearly cost him an AA and the worsforld medal. Hopefully if he does get used in the middle next season, he does have a greater impact.

Simmo using him as a utility nearly cost him an AA and the worsforld medal.
Could argue it helped him with both awards.

Not sure Yeo will be the mid we’re looking for after 2016’s efforts but he certainly had a fantastic 2017

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Could argue it helped him with both awards.

Not sure Yeo will be the mid we’re looking for after 2016’s efforts but he certainly had a fantastic 2017
sorry biggie i got to disagree with you there. He was leading the coaches votes and then got moved and went quiet and he had a few hit and miss games and then finally looked the good again when moved into defence.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
People are reading too much into the speech. Yeo is still fairly young and has had his first elite season at 23 and has the potential to go atleast another gear or two up. No manager in the industry will let their client sign now. Sure a Yeo could go down a bit but i don't think that would have a drastic impact on his offer.

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
People are reading too much into the speech. Yeo is still fairly young and has had his first elite season at 23 and has the potential to go atleast another gear or two up. No manager in the industry will let their client sign now. Sure a Yeo could go down a bit but i don't think that would have a drastic impact on his offer.

He probably wouldn't leave us for an interstate side but Fremantle is a BIG worry - read somewhere that Fremantle was his preferred location when he was leaving Brisbane. He was a Fremantle fan growing up, wasn't he? Can see Fremantle making a big play for him (and for Gov as well) if he remained un-signed deep into the 2018 season.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast

He probably wouldn't leave us for an interstate side but Fremantle is a BIG worry - read somewhere that Fremantle was his preferred location when he was leaving Brisbane. He was a Fremantle fan growing up, wasn't he? Can see Fremantle making a big play for him (and for Gov as well) if he remained un-signed deep into the 2018 season.
Meh, so many players have been drafted to clubs that they don't barrack. Its rare for star Eagles/Freo players to switch and with our current cap, i can see us offering him something very nice next year.

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Meh, so many players have been drafted to clubs that they don't barrack. Its rare for star Eagles/Freo players to switch and with our current cap, i can see us offering him something very nice next year.

True - very rare but not impossible in this day and age. Do you know any star WCE players from WA who used to barrack for Fremantle?

Back