Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
I am ok with not getting Jesse until his contract expires. Now we go with pick 5 and next years first rounder.

For this year we could either score a gun midfielder like Stephenson or Fogarty but I would not be adverse to changing pick 5 into a couple in the 10-20 range and score Naughton and Allen
For all those not wanting to use pick 5 as part of a Hogan deal are we confident we will get better than pick 5 to use in future years, this would have to assume we have not bottomed out yet and are only going to get worse otherwise to get picks 1-5 in future we are going to have to trade out one of our stars.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
For all those not wanting to use pick 5 as part of a Hogan deal are we confident we will get better than pick 5 to use in future years, this would have to assume we have not bottomed out yet and are only going to get worse otherwise to get picks 1-5 in future we are going to have to trade out one of our stars.

if we are no where near pick 5 again then I'd say we dont need him at all

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be delirious to get 39 for Crozier. Has done very little to live up to his exciting potential.
No doubt will go to the Dogs and playing indoors at Etihad will start taking screamers every week and remember how to kick straight.
As for a ruck with our first pick, no thanks. Just no. Unless he really is a forward too.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be delirious to get 39 for Crozier. Has done very little to live up to his exciting potential.
No doubt will go to the Dogs and playing indoors at Etihad will start taking screamers every week and remember how to kick straight.
As for a ruck with our first pick, no thanks. Just no. Unless he really is a forward too.

Just helping me out a bit here ES ....can you names three current players worth say 10 to 20, 3 worth 20 to 30 and 3 worth 30 to 40. A players selection in a 22 for a club, and even best 25, does not seem to equate to a draft number to me.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I would be super happy if we got 45 for him.

I wouldn't call him a "soft little bitch" either, more like "a piece of s**t". Don't think the club wanted to keep him also.

In coming seasons Mr Darcy will be seen to mumble the words, "cow shite", as he wanders past a "downed" Balic.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just helping me out a bit here ES ....can you names three current players worth say 10 to 20, 3 worth 20 to 30 and 3 worth 30 to 40. A players selection in a 22 for a club, and even best 25, does not seem to equate to a draft number to me.
I'm not an expert, better getting someone like Taylor or Chris or anyone else that fancies themselves.
I just know that for whatever reason, the chance to select unproven 18 year olds is rated as more valuable than people who have shown the ability to maintain the lifestyle of an AFL player and to play the game at an acceptable level.
Look at someone like Balic. Guy was worth a top 10 in his draft year but slid due to injury. Now he's completely rehabbed, has a pre-season or 2 under the belt, dominated at WAFL and looked highly promising at the top level but somehow he's worth next to nothing now.
I don't pretend to understand it.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Trade deals to wrap up early:
Hang onto Taberner;
Balic and 58 to melbourne for 45 and 63 (under for Freo);
Crozier and 45 to wb for 26;
26 to gws for Wilson (unders for gws);
55 to gc for matera (unders for gc who prob prefer 2018 3rd rd for 2018 4th back);
Leaves us 5, 40 and 63 and all of 2018 picks.
Personally I would also take the deal offered by bl poster of 5 for 12 and 18 after Wilson snared if we could make it happen?

Don't mind it to a degree.
The issue is we currently need to fill 8 spots.
After your deals we'll need to fill 9.
Picks 5, 40 and 63 cover 3 and then what?

6 selections from other drafts? Starts to thin out our depth rapidly, but I guess so be it.

I also don't mind the idea of pick 5 downgrade.

12 and 18 I'd do in a heart beat too.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not an expert, better getting someone like Taylor or Chris or anyone else that fancies themselves.
I just know that for whatever reason, the chance to select unproven 18 year olds is rated as more valuable than people who have shown the ability to maintain the lifestyle of an AFL player and to play the game at an acceptable level.
Look at someone like Balic. Guy was worth a top 10 in his draft year but slid due to injury. Now he's completely rehabbed, has a pre-season or 2 under the belt, dominated at WAFL and looked highly promising at the top level but somehow he's worth next to nothing now.
I don't pretend to understand it.

Yes I agree...I just don't get why they have gone that way in the past given what the stats say re draft player success rate to sought after traded player success rate. The picks dont seem to correlate. Not easy finding those players to fit into a category though is it re pick number.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I doubt Mr Darcy would use such an effeminate, typically english term as shite.
The boy is an Aussie brute, not a Ricky Gervais, Julian clary type of mincer
Agreed. More likely to knock him the f**k out and then “shhhhhhhhhhh” him as he lay limpless on the ground :p

Shaun “the shhhhhhh’er” Darcy he shall be forever known as

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon next year might be our final big year of delistings. This is who I have so far: Ballas, Suban, Spur, Sutcliffe, D Pearce, Mundy, Grey Johnson, Apeness, Sheridan, Crozier??

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon next year might be our final big year of delistings. This is who I have so far: Ballas, Suban, Spur, Sutcliffe, D Pearce, Mundy, Grey Johnson, Apeness, Sheridan, Crozier??

You're telling me Suban is going again next year!!!

Sandi too is done. But yeah next year will be the final massive clear out.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Suban won't be delisted. I hope Grey has a good year so he doesn't get delisted. Apeness 50/50.

Nov 6, 2002
End of the Earth.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't mind it to a degree.
The issue is we currently need to fill 8 spots.
After your deals we'll need to fill 9.
Picks 5, 40 and 63 cover 3 and then what?

6 selections from other drafts? Starts to thin out our depth rapidly, but I guess so be it.

I also don't mind the idea of pick 5 downgrade.

12 and 18 I'd do in a heart beat too.

You have to factor in rookie promotions. Bradey already and prolly Ryan Nuhuis, and maybe Strads.

yakamoto

Club Legend
May 8, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
E. Shed, while I agree with your premise re over valuation of 18 year old draft picks, I don't think Balic is the best example to illustrate it.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hahaha... Oh... You were serious?

Yeah fire him I say.

I never joke.

Accountable as in how? Jail?
It was a smart move at the time, Balic was highly rated and had dropped in the draft. Who's to know that he'd have homesick/whatever issues and want to go home.
Should be thanking Lloyd we didn't take Lever.
The introspection on here is bordering lunacy at times.

I do not have the power to gaol people, yet.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
You have to factor in rookie promotions. Bradey already and prolly Ryan Nuhuis, and maybe Strads.
We currently have 34 players in total following the latest delistings/retirements/Balic. We need a total of 44 - see rules below.

Clubs will still be required to list 4-6 Category A rookies, to make a total of 44 combined with the required 38-40 senior listed players

So we already need 10. Assume Wilson and Matera come, that makes 8. Likely to lose Croz. So let’s say we need 9 more. Even if we upgrade all current rookies (Duman, Nyhuis, Grey, Nads), we would have 35 main list players, needing at least 3 national draft + 6 rookie.

6 rookie is probably too many, so let’s assume we don’t upgrade Nads, would then be looking at 4 national draft + 5 rookie. Unless we get Menzel as Free Agent, then it could be 4 + 4 if we roll with 39 main list. Feels about right to me. This is my attempt at cobbling - but we know who should be doing it!

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anybody else find it a bit rich that a player can nominate a club after only two years? Basically they have RFA status, and in the case of Balic he didn't even make it through his two year draft contract.

The AFL has a problem on its hands.

I use to love the NBA when you knew which player played for which team. Hard to follow now.

If the AFL isn't careful in 20 years this could happen.

What would stop 5 or 6 mates saying lets all do our 2 years and go play for X club together? Nothing.

Kind of already happens and even Freo has benefited recently.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Anybody else find it a bit rich that a player can nominate a club after only two years? Basically they have RFA status, and in the case of Balic he didn't even make it through his two year draft contract.

You're asking a bunch of Freo supporters if they think the AFL system functions in a way that is largely unfavourable and unfair?

Doesn't sound like something they'd go for.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle

Bit of talk from past players saying it should be three first up not two. Hard call though when there could be a number of factors to stuff it up. In Balic's case, to be fair, Freo pounced because they were surprised he was there at that pick given his talent. Don't think they had even interviewed him prior. If your dinkum about best picks need to do that I would think.

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yep, we just rehabilitated him just in time to say thanks but I don't wanna be here. I want to save my best work for another club..should we feel aggrieved?..

Back