News Update: Charles Cameron traded to Brisbane for Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've seen a few media folk say 12 would be fair, that's what I'm referring to. Seems odd to me considering most Crows supporters seem to accept that 18/19 is fair.

I think when 12 has been mentioned as "fair" its in the sense that it is overs but Bris may be prepared to overpay given their situation and him being contracted.

I think we will push for 12 but something else will come back your way if we succeed. If we get 12 as direct swap then we are celebrating that

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
People say Lever should be thankful we took a punt on him after his knee. I don't agree with that as while he may not have gone as high he would have been selected at some point.

Charlie on the other hand being a rookie may never have been given an opportunity at all.
If he did, he may not have been given the faith and chances we gave him.

He owes his career to us more than Lever.
We owe him no favours.
We shouldn't screw the bloke but we have to look after ourselves here. There should be more outrage over Charlie than Lever to be honest.

(PS spare me the family reasons excuse as why this case is different. If the best his manager can give when directly asked what the compassionate reasons are is that he has school mates in Qld he wants to be around, then there is no compassionate reasons here)

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think when 12 has been mentioned as "fair" its in the sense that it is overs but Bris may be prepared to overpay given their situation and him being contracted.
I think we will push for 12 but something else will come back your way if we succeed. If we get 12 as direct swap then we are celebrating that
What is "our situation" in this scenario?

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
What is "our situation" in this scenario?
Context given was needing/wanting to attract players who want to be there, bringing in quality like Cameron, not risking him changing his mind in 12 months time and that if you lost pick 12 you still have a good draft position with 1, 18, 19. Plus the mentioned him being under contract.

I don't necessarily agree they are enough, just saying that whenever I've heard 12 mentioned its either being with other picks coming back or justified in these terms. Have never heard anyone say Adelaide want 12 and thats about right its Adelaide will push for 12 and Bris may be keen enough to accept it based on these considerations

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Context given was needing/wanting to attract players who want to be there, bringing in quality like Cameron, not risking him changing his mind in 12 months time and that if you lost pick 12 you still have a good draft position with 1, 18, 19. Plus the mentioned him being under contract.

I don't necessarily agree they are enough, just saying that whenever I've heard 12 mentioned its either being with other picks coming back or justified in these terms. Have never heard anyone say Adelaide want 12 and thats about right its Adelaide will push for 12 and Bris may be keen enough to accept it based on these considerations

Yeah, fair enough. I'd hope we don't let a general sense of "oh, we have a good draft position" make us overpay for Cameron. Would you really rather keep him around when he doesn't want to be there over pick 19? I would definitely understand if we were offering pick 30-odd.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Our only chance with Francis is that Essendon have their hand forced due to all the players that have nominated them as their #1 choice. Essendon would have likely expected to lose at least one of those races and might not have the trade currency now it seems they've all said yes.
Would love the stringer deal to go down first, so we have something to tell them to stick it as they are being ridiculous.

TexanKnights

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Value goes up when your young and rip apart a final

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
People say Lever should be thankful we took a punt on him after his knee. I don't agree with that as while he may not have gone as high he would have been selected at some point.

Charlie on the other hand being a rookie may never have been given an opportunity at all.
If he did, he may not have been given the faith and chances we gave him.

He owes his career to us more than Lever.
We owe him no favours.
We shouldn't screw the bloke but we have to look after ourselves here. There should be more outrage over Charlie than Lever to be honest.

(PS spare me the family reasons excuse as why this case is different. If the best his manager can give when directly asked what the compassionate reasons are is that he has school mates in Qld he wants to be around, then there is no compassionate reasons here)
Money reasons. Pure and simple.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, fair enough. I'd hope we don't let a general sense of "oh, we have a good draft position" make us overpay for Cameron. Would you really rather keep him around when he doesn't want to be there over pick 19? I would definitely understand if we were offering pick 30-odd.
Worked for Carlton. Contracted players need to learn that leaving while under contract is a bitch move generally and if the club is worse off especially when in a premiership window they are manning up and growing a set.

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
It will be interesting. 18/19 is about right but it will depend on how we see it affecting Charlie if he had to stay and what other plans we have.

We may want to make a stand and I wouldn't begrudge that.

If we have others coming in and 18/19 help that then we would certainly do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Any other year and that would be true. I still think to lose a key player to the structure of our team when we're gunning for a flag isn't ideal for any pick really.
It is if it helps you bring in a better player. Cameron is an average inconsistent player. Any first rounder for him is a win.

BigHippy

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It will be interesting. 18/19 is about right but it will depend on how we see it affecting Charlie if he had to stay and what other plans we have.

We may want to make a stand and I wouldn't begrudge that.

If we have others coming in and 18/19 help that then we would certainly do it
Based off this year I can't see it impacting Cameron too well if he was forced to stay. I'm all for clubs making a stand when dealing with contracted players etc. but I can't see it going well for you if you turn down 19 in the hopes of 12 (which I just can't see our trade team entertaining at all). Who knows though, I guess we'll find out in a week or two.

Based off this year I can't see it impacting Cameron too well if he was forced to stay. I'm all for clubs making a stand when dealing with contracted players etc. but I can't see it going well for you if you turn down 19 in the hopes of 12 (which I just can't see our trade team entertaining at all). Who knows though, I guess we'll find out in a week or two.

You guys rarely get young kids with solid finals experience and good development with plenty of potential wanting to go "home".

Lions IMO would be foolish to not pay slight overs.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
You guys rarely get young kids with solid finals experience and good development with plenty of potential wanting to go "home".

Lions IMO would be foolish to not pay slight overs.

I don't think anyone disagrees but obviously the difference of opinion is about what actually compromises "slight overs".

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think anyone disagrees but obviously the difference of opinion is about what actually compromises "slight overs".
18/19 fair, anything more slight overs.

12 is straight out overs so id say 12 with a later pick coming back with CC is slight overs (or 16 and CC for 12 and 18 but that would rely on Carlton taking 18 as part of Gibbs trade and that not needing 16)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back