Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of baggage around Matera the Age claim...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...he-2017-afl-trade-period-20171006-gyvngk.html

FREMANTLE

Picks: 5, 40, 55, 58

There is plenty happening at the Dockers after two seasons out of the finals. Nathan Wilson (Greater Western Sydney) and Brandon Matera (Gold Coast) are both poised to be traded to Fremantle, even though the Dockers' leadership group is understood to have concerns about Matera's character. Heading the other way are Harley Balic, who is bound for Melbourne after a troubled period at the Dockers, and high-flyer Hayden Crozier, who looks set to join the Western Bulldogs. The delistings of Zac Clarke and Jon Griffin, combined with the fact Aaron Sandilands is likely on his last legs, suggests the Dockers could on the hunt for another ruckman.

As reported by Fairfax Media, Melbourne also insist forward Jesse Hogan is a required player, but the Dockers are of the belief that the WA product could be available should the right deal be done. Hogan is contracted until the end of 2019.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/ea967e95a15797079e36b964780d4bdb

FREMANTLE

GONE: Zac Dawson, Garrick Ibbotson (retired); Jon Griffin, Zac Clarke, Sam Collins, Josh Deluca, Matthew Uebergang (delisted)

IN PLAY: Inconsistent tall forward Matt Taberner, 24, has struggled to nail down a regular spot in five years at the Dockers. He suddenly has options after glimpses of his contested-marking best this season. Enigmatic forward Hayden Crozier looks headed to the Western Bulldogs, while talented youngster Harley Balic wants to return to Victoria after a season ruined by personal issues.

THE TARGETS: The Dockers, who are already without a second-round pick after giving it away last year, will have to trade out to find some draft picks to secure GWS defender Nathan Wilson and Gold Coast forward Brandon Matera. They will also be keen to secure a back-up ruckman.

DRAFT PICKS: 5, 40, 55, 58, 77, 95, 113

Anybody else find it a bit rich that a player can nominate a club after only two years? Basically they have RFA status, and in the case of Balic he didn't even make it through his two year draft contract.

The AFL has a problem on its hands.

I think you are overstating it.

What did Buckley do? what did Jeff White do? Scott Thompson? Jack Gunston was a while back now. The list goes on.

It's been happening for a while.

Not sure if anyone listened to Sport Today on 6PR this morning but Haggers was adamant and persistent that this week Hogan had talks with his family and reckons this week Hogan may request a trade back to WA after Melbourne's best and fairest. He was also sure the offer is two first round picks and if he comes back to Perth the only club he'd play for is Fremantle.

Also, ALOT of callers were calling up to say this Richmond game plan isn't new and that this is basically Freo 2013.

Said before and I'll say again, my mail is Hogan was given blessing to consider options. Ball is in His court as to whether he wants to come home or not. He's been offered a 6-7 deal from Freo at 100-2his/year more than his current deal.

However, this was a couple of weeks ago and it has all come about as it would tie in with the Lever deal which has obviously gone pear shaped.

You have to factor in rookie promotions. Bradey already and prolly Ryan Nuhuis, and maybe Strads.

Provided all rookies are happy with being rookies next season I see no point promoting anyone else.

The last pick in the national draft is still before the first rookie selection.

Provided all rookies are happy with being rookies next season I see no point promoting anyone else.

The last pick in the national draft is still before the first rookie selection.
Can rookie players for one year though? National draft is a minimum two years. Unless initial rookie is two years?

Can rookie players for one year though? National draft is a minimum two years. Unless initial rookie is two years?

You're right but honestly it's not like we won't have the room in 2019. Plus what chance was Duman or Strnadica of staying just one year unless their attitude was garbage? You take that risk with most draftees don't you?

I just don't see a reason to upgrade rookies until you see them as longer term players tbh, especially now they can play without an upgrade. Let's be honest Nyhuis, Duman and Strnadica haven't done that yet. Grey probably got it based on amount of games more than anything.

E. Shed, while I agree with your premise re over valuation of 18 year old draft picks, I don't think Balic is the best example to illustrate it.

Works for me. It's the new car thing. Drive it off the lot & instantly lose a huge portion of its value. Like with Roberton, couldn't believe no one wanted him even at free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right but honestly it's not like we won't have the room in 2019. Plus what chance was Duman or Strnadica of staying just one year unless their attitude was garbage? You take that risk with most draftees don't you?

I just don't see a reason to upgrade rookies until you see them as longer term players tbh, especially now they can play without an upgrade. Let's be honest Nyhuis, Duman and Strnadica haven't done that yet. Grey probably got it based on amount of games more than anything.
Yeahhhhhhh but wouldn’t you upgrade the ones you have for one year, knowing what you’ve got, rather than take more unknowns for two years. Just provides more flexibility I think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said before and I'll say again, my mail is Hogan was given blessing to consider options. Ball is in His court as to whether he wants to come home or not. He's been offered a 6-7 deal from Freo at 100-2his/year more than his current deal.

However, this was a couple of weeks ago and it has all come about as it would tie in with the Lever deal which has obviously gone pear shaped.

Regardless, I think if we are ever going to get Hogan it will be this year but will likely cost 5 and next years 1st rounder.

I went to the top and asked some questions today. We have definitely made enquiries, but, at this stage we aren’t confident of getting him. Met with him and his manager.

Last edited:
Back