Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure it is mate.

So you know me better than I know myself? When have I ever said we should go only to the draft?

I'm very happy with Kennedy. Had no issue getting Rockliff, wanted Balic (cheap) and was very happy getting Marchbank & Pickett last year and Plowman the year before that. I would have been happy with Smith or Saad at the right price.

Bottom line is I don't care how we get players they just have to suit the rebuild, be quality people and hopefully value for what we give up. Same for trading Gibbs. If it benefits us then great. If not, he stays

Couldn't be happier with how SOS handles things. He won't overpay, does his due diligence on every player available for trade, will trade for players that suit our needs without doing deals for the hell of it, then go to draft with 5 plus picks and back himself to get most right.

This year we will add another 8-12 players through the drafts and trade periods. Whatever way it works out

IMO he is doing it right and I just sit back and enjoy. Next years list will be so much better. All positive :)

This year is starting to look leaner trade wise........

As usual all the good players dont want Carlton......Rockliff,D.Smith,Saad......!!!!

Best value of this group is.....Saad.

Smith with dodgy Pcl may struggle next season,Rockliffe might be pretty dear and not fit in -it doesnt make sense so probably SOS said too dear?

Kennedy has to be done at a good rate.....we need him as an inside mid and his age is better than the more experienced and some injured above players.He can become another Cripps type,hard at the ball.

Apparenty we might be getting Shaw from Suns......HBF depth player?......he is a worker and possibly unrrated and may play better back home.

I'm not concerned about missing out on Rocky or passing on Smith etc...

But I am confused as to why SOS didn't have a crack at luring Balic... the kid has talent and would have been cheap as chips.

Anyone have any idea? Now Melbourne walk away with a steal..

Balic isn't a guarantee to be AFL-quality and there may be some concerns about whether he can cope with the pressures of being a minor celebrity (sorry I mean AFL footballer).

He seems to have taken the move away from Melbourne very badly.

Balic isn't a guarantee to be AFL-quality and there may be some concerns about whether he can cope with the pressures of being a minor celebrity (sorry I mean AFL footballer).

He seems to have taken the move away from Melbourne very badly.

I was keen but I'm sure he has his reasons. Still lots of names like Shaw Lang Miles that we have been linked to and I'm sure we are speaking to players no one has mentioned

Trade week hasn't even started yet then we have 10 days until it's over. Lots of possibilities. I don't know how but I hope we can land Kennedy & another 1-2 good young players plus some extra draft picks

Look if Adelaide comes with the currency for Bryce, I thing our trade period looks very different to right now.

But as things stand, I expect a priority is getting a pick upgrade or packaging picks to get a good deal for us down the line.

On the eve of Christmas, ahem Trade Period, are there any last minute gems or insights we can get Marc Shmurf 3 barass70 ? #prettyplease

On the first day of trading and up pops MS3 ... we won't be trading pick 3.

On the second day of trading and here is B70 ... Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the third day of trading SOS says to Reid ... 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the fourth day of trading, Bluemour File gave to me ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the fifth day of trading and trade tracker said to me, Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the sixth day of trading Crows posters say to me, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things, trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the seventh day of trading and my boredom says to me, there's no way we're winning ... Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things .... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the eighth day of trading and bloody hell * me, list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the ninth day of trading, eric_pascoe's on the scene, we're big gun romancing ... list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the tenth day of trading the message seems to be ... Gibbs we are keeping, we're big gun romancing, list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the last day of trading and the stress is killing me ... snipers are a sniping, Gibbs we are keeping, we're big gun romancing, list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and I can't believe we traded Pick 3. :(

Last edited:
Modern popular sport across the globe is about growing club loyalty. CBA and contract rules are maximised by staying with the same club, see the NBA for evidence of this. As a result, I don't have an issue with minimising movement at this time nor missing out on the names mentioned. Grow internally, access the draft and take what we can get. Live the idea of Kennedy although, just because he is labelled a big bodied mid doesn't mean he will thrive as one. Meziel was to be the ex factor for Adelaide and the list of saviours goes on...
Stay loyal to what we have, grow the shoots and reap the rewards.
Byrne Jones Plowman
Marchbank Weitering Docherty
Williamson Gibbs Cunnington
C Curnow Casboult Thomas
Wright Mackay Petrevski-Seton
Krueger Cripps Murphy
Silvagni Dow Simpson E Curnow

Be really happy for Fisher, Pickett or Poulson to be in for Thomas.

But I am confused as to why SOS didn't have a crack at luring Balic... the kid has talent and would have been cheap as chips.

Balic slipped from being a possible top 10 pick in his draft year to something like pick 38. That means all the recruiters knew something about him that diminished his face value.

Maybe he has the talent but lacks the competitive edge to be an elite player. Shame because I thought he'd be a good fit too.

On the second day of trading and here is B70 ... Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the third day of trading SOS says to Reid ... 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the fourth day of trading, Bluemour File gave to me ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the fifth day of trading and trade tracker said to me, Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the sixth day of trading Crows posters say to me, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things, trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3.

On the seventh day of trading and my boredom says to me, there's no way we're winning ... Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things .... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the eighth day of trading and bloody hell **** me, list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the ninth day of trading, eric_pascoe's on the scene, we're big gun romancing ... list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the tenth day of trading the message seems to be ... Gibbs we are keeping, we're big gun romancing, list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

On the last day of trading and the stress is killing me ... snipers are a sniping, Gibbs we are keeping, we're big gun romancing, list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s, Gibbs given a shove and I can't believe we traded Pick 3. :(

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I actually sung that to myself.

Balic slipped from being a possible top 10 pick in his draft year to something like pick 38. That means all the recruiters knew something about him that diminished his face value.

Maybe he has the talent but lacks the competitive edge to be an elite player. Shame because I thought he'd be a good fit too.

He slipped because his wrist was ****ed.
Two surgeries later and all good.
Did you notice the last game he played Vs Melbourne, after the first 5-6mins of each quarter he was straight in the middle.
Ross loved the kid, and saw the midfield potential.
Go back and watch the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard along the grapevine that the club wants young men who they can help develop into men. Not looking for boys who are under the thumb of their parents. There is thought that Balic's parents will, have and are hindering his personal development. Comparison is to the known tennis parents.

I think I rate Gibbs higher than you. A goal kicking midfielder (18 goals in season) is valuable. How many goals has GWS Kennedy kicked this year? two or three.

Gibbs has kicked more goals than Collingwood's highly rated Treloar (!3), Sidebottom (16), or Geelong's Mitch Duncan (14). Harry Taylor - who spent a lot of time up forward - only kicked 22. 4 more than Gibbs.

Gibbs is an asset, you don't trade away assets unless you get a guaranteed success in return. An example would be when Hawthorn traded away that defender back in 2001 to Fremantle, and got pick 2, which they used on Hodge.

You are kidding yourself if you think anything is "guaranteed" in this business.
Yeah they got Hodge, but could have easily been a pick 2 like Gumbleton or O'Rourke. Could have done something stupid like Yarran or Lovett............Could have even been unlucky like Polak or Motley.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He slipped because his wrist was ****ed.
Two surgeries later and all good.
Did you notice the last game he played Vs Melbourne, after the first 5-6mins of each quarter he was straight in the middle.
Ross loved the kid, and saw the midfield potential.
Go back and watch the game.
I didin't see that game but I really like him as a player. If he slipped solely because of the wrist I'm even keener for SOS to get him.

Modern popular sport across the globe is about growing club loyalty. CBA and contract rules are maximised by staying with the same club, see the NBA for evidence of this. As a result, I don't have an issue with minimising movement at this time nor missing out on the names mentioned. Grow internally, access the draft and take what we can get. Live the idea of Kennedy although, just because he is labelled a big bodied mid doesn't mean he will thrive as one. Meziel was to be the ex factor for Adelaide and the list of saviours goes on...
Byrne Jones Plowman
C Curnow Casboult Thomas
Krueger Cripps Murphy

I've got a feeling that if we get Krueger he's going to be at the tribunal regularly................and we'll all become insomniacs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doesn't it seem somewhat unbelievable that Weitering, McKay and Silvagni are all still 19?

Easy to forget, yet we demand so much from these talls whilst they're still growing into their bodies.

People seem to forget this and are impatient. There is heaps of improvement in those names and in Charlie SPS Marchbank Williamson Fisher Cunngham Pickett etc. Even Cripps hasn't played near his best footy yet

On the eighth day of trading and bloody hell **** me, list managers are milking, there's no way we're winning, Crows won't be paying ... Kennedy packing his things ... trolls with the inside word, 3 top 10s Gibbs given a shove and we won't be trading pick 3

That ending though... lol

No. Fev back as club dietian.

Soapy Vallance dna creates a clone and place kick back in vogue
Fev should be a part of Carlton cuture[support role somewhere]......see what happened in the Fox sport longest boot off the Yarra,he almost won it.
Fev would probably outmark quite a few still as well.......

Seriously.....!!!

Rockliffe might be pretty dear and not fit in -it doesnt make sense so probably SOS said too dear?
Depending on the price a club pays for Rockliff , there is potential you sign a guy like him on $850K, he decides to come and two years down the track you got 3 or 4 youngsters really breaking out and need new contracts and you end up losing one all for the sake of a $200K you paid to a guy near 30 for a few years and now you just short of paying a younger talent closer to his new market value.

Not saying that would happen but is a bit risky taking on big contracts for guys getting towards end of their careers. The very fact GWS signed up guys like Josh Kelly, Hopper and Taranto is why there is less money around for a talented guy like Devon Smith and they end up losing a talent as he knows he can get more in line with what he is worth at another club.

Even for us, ancient history is we lost Aaron Hamill because at the time St.Kilda seduced him he was probably around our 10th to 12th best player and accordingly paid as much but Saints with s**t list could offer him heaps more and be in their top 2 players paid at the time. Even Eddie Betts we let go as we did not value him in dollar signs his true worth. Yet the clowns at the time running the show valued Dale Thomas a lot more and spent way more on him.

There is a lot to list management than just age profiles, player positions types and positioning yourself to get right draft picks. The salary stuff tends to be harder to know about.

Fev should be a part of Carlton cuture[support role somewhere]......see what happened in the Fox sport longest boot off the Yarra,he almost won it.
Fev would probably outmark quite a few still as well.......

Seriously.....!!!

Watched it on youtube last week.
Proud of how Fevola has turned his life around without losing his personality and getting all cultish religious like. Very refreshing to see.

Byrne Jones Plowman
C Curnow Casboult Thomas
Krueger Cripps Murphy

Impossible to pick our 22 from here...
One thing tho we will start to turn over less players now each year....and that will make life easier for Bolts
Richmond for example have had little change the past couple years ...nice and stable and look what happens..:thumbsu:
Hopefully Kennedy will work hard for us, similar to Prestia for Richmond,just a good honest player.
The kids are going to take over the next couple of years at Carlton,and soon they wont be kids anymore...

I'm starting to wonder why we keep getting passed up by players like Rockliff , Smith are we not prepared to pay too much or are we crappy at selling the club to others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back