List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
No idea who it is.. but that isn't Williams.
dbbdce9a37e3ede08d258cf905ff3d6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Matthew Buntine?

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Why do we need another midfielder.. if that's the case.. let's trade Moore Grundy and all our talls for midfielders and start a revolution for Buckley's out of space game plan.
I think we have a few holes,small running half back...Crisp and Varcoe used through there meaning one less midfield rotation, and small crumbling forward...all our current forwards mark the ball. If we were to get another quality mid it would allow a Steele, Pendles or even De Goey to play more forward and straighten us up with their smarts and good delivery into 50...likewise Varcoe and Crisp down back.

Needless to say also our midfield and transition ball use and decision making could do with an upgrade. That to me is our biggest weakness requiring improvement, even more than our KP stocks.

Teams are getting away playing small, it’s the modern game and although a gun KP forward or back would be great I don’t think we’ll get a Lynch and it’s not worth bringing in second rate players. I’d prefer to trial Cox and Mclarty next year.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What could have been...

View attachment 425719
Have had a few could have beens over the years. He's one but couldn't cut it in Seniors. Others that spring to mind are Karnezis and Broomhead.

Now before you argue with me on Broomhead ( in case you do), been in the system long enough to pay some dividends. Even if you include injuries, I would say Sinclair has rated better in seniors than Broomhead. Yet, he does quite well in VFL level.

As Marcellus Wallace would say, if you were gonna make it, you would have made it by now.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
RE Tim Broomhead, as i keep saying whenever this topic is brought up: Next year, he will have been in the system for 6 years. Yes, 6 years.

If he hasn't shown any standard nearing a solid AFL player yet i don't think he ever will.

I liken it to a situation where you have had a partner for 6 years but not sure if you like them or not/think they are a good person or not. Odds are if its been 6 years the answer is pointless and the relationship isn't going to work out anyway.

I agree he's had time, but I can see why they've persevered. He's got pace and genuine kicking skills which is a combo we don't have a lot of. To be honest though, I think this coming season should be his last shot.

What I can't understand is the level of patience and hope that so many on here have for Sinclair. He's had eight full seasons on our list for 63 (largely below par, often horrible) senior games which is less than eight games per season. The last four seasons have yielded 5, 6, 13 and 0 games.

I accept that he has been better in his last fifteen or so games (played over nearly three years) since being shifted to the backline. But having said that, he has still only been an average contributor. He has gone from being a terrible player to an average/passable one who can contribute and play his role, but even then he hasn't been on the park to play one of these passable games in eighteen months.

We should have cut our losses long ago and focused on using his list spot to find a better talented player who isn't held together with paper mache, but surely the time is now? Is he contracted for next season?

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Everything rides on so little, imagine how we'd be going if Selwood had fallen just one more place and we took Jack Riewoldt in 2006, or if Bontempelli fell 2 more places and we took Cripps/Merrett instead of Freeman and Scharenberg in 2013, it's a bees dick this business
Didn't we also miss out on the Pav the year he was drafted? We took Josh. Then Danny Roach at 7.

Though, spare a thought on Richmond (maybe not this year. Maybe not ever actually). But they missed out on Buddy and Roughead? For Deludio and Tambling. I think that was Mr Plow's watch too and now he advises the masses on what clubs, players and coaches should and shouldn't do.

Sure he knows more about the game than me but that makes me laugh a lot. Same as wanting to be a millionaire but always taking advice off of someone that has never been a millionaire.

Tradethefarm

Debutant
Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't we also miss out on the Pav the year he was drafted? We took Josh. Then Danny Roach at 7.
Roach was a shocker but Freo would have taken Pavlich first if we didn't downgrade (they knew our priority was a key position) and stuck us with Hasleby.

Great. Just as I was starting to enjoy not having duds linked to us this year.

At least one member on here will be happy. Not naming names :p
The trade shouter is as accurate as the trade whisperer, so you should be happy. Pretty much guaranteed that Taberner won’t be at Collingwood next year.

We're talking list management in this thread, so thought I'd ask what people think of McCarthy?

I love his movement and sticky hands from the little I've seen. And I've only just realised that he's still under 20 years old. I think he has real potential.
It will be good to see how he develops if he can get a good run at it. Showed some good signs early this year.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree he's had time, but I can see why they've persevered. He's got pace and genuine kicking skills which is a combo we don't have a lot of. To be honest though, I think this coming season should be his last shot.

What I can't understand is the level of patience and hope that so many on here have for Sinclair. He's had eight full seasons on our list for 63 (largely below par, often horrible) senior games which is less than eight games per season. The last four seasons have yielded 5, 6, 13 and 0 games.

I accept that he has been better in his last fifteen or so games (played over nearly three years) since being shifted to the backline. But having said that, he has still only been an average contributor. He has gone from being a terrible player to an average/passable one who can contribute and play his role, but even then he hasn't been on the park to play one of these passable games in eighteen months.

We should have cut our losses long ago and focused on using his list spot to find a better talented player who isn't held together with paper mache, but surely the time is now? Is he contracted for next season?

Agree on Sinclair. It's the old, the longer you're injured, the better player you become. He's simply just not that good. People just want him to be good because we severely lack quality players of his type. Such as a Rory Laird, Nathan Wilson, Zac Williams etc.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
I still think we are sniffing around Schache :

"Leading AFL player manager Alex McDonald says that Brisbane youngster Josh Schache may still be on the move this trade period.

The 20-year-old forward is managed by David Trotter, an employee of McDonald Sports & Talent Management – the firm that McDonald is the managing director of.

While Trotter earlier this week told afl.com.au that all signs were pointing towards Schache honouring his Brisbane contract and staying at the club in 2018, McDonald believes the door is still open for the forward to potentially seek a new home this year.

“I can never say never on those things,” he told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“Things can happen. After what we saw with Tom Boyd and then (Sam) Mitchell and (Jordan) Lewis last year, nothing surprises me anymore.”

Schache has long been linked with a move to Richmond, with the club confirming they were interested in the 2015 number two draft pick before he inked a two-year extension to his current deal at the Lions in June.

The 199cm forward has played 27 games for the Lions across his first two seasons of senior football, booting 25 goals."

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roach was a shocker but Freo would have taken Pavlich first if we didn't downgrade (they knew our priority was a key position) and stuck us with Hasleby.
As good as Josh was over time, do you think he could have been better but we ran him into the ground early in his career like Watts on Queen's Birthday and beyond?

Apr 10, 2007
Magpieland!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Orlando Magic & Florida Panthers
Sharrod Wellingham's not getting a new contract with the Eagles. Could we bring back our premiership hero and finish his career off as a Magpie? Still think he has a few things to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back