Faster, Higher, Stronger, whats the next evolution after Dogs/Tigers revivals

Remove this Banner Ad

Pressuring the players around the ball is revolutionary and I can't wait to see how the game evolves next.

Longer kicking and marking players.

The silver lining to all of this is we may see the return of the centre half forward and the around the ground follower.

The players are faster and have better skills, but the game is not in good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Answer the original question maybe after the dogs and tigers the next premiers will actually be a good team.

Hawthorn between 2012-2016 not only applied unrelenting pressure, but they were absolutely deadly accurate with their skills. No weak links. The WB and Richmond were light years away skill wise.
Didn't we win more than we lost against Hawthorn during that period?

Last edited:
To Answer the original question maybe after the dogs and tigers the next premiers will actually be a good team.
There there. Show me on the dolly where the Tigers hurt you

Haha. Finished half a game off top spot. Smashed all top 4 in finals. But hey maybe they could of done more.

I love how some on here try to degrade our premiership. Worst premiership side ect ect. The old previous contenders would smash us. But how do people actually know they would? They dont. So go cry into your utensil sock, you jealous knob
52e431a23164b2f3bdb0554a6f3e262e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haha. Finished half a game off top spot. Smashed all top 4 in finals. But hey maybe they could of done more.

I love how some on here try to degrade our premiership. Worst premiership side ect ect. The old previous contenders would smash us. But how do people actually know they would? They dont. So go cry into your utensil sock, you jealous knob

Half a game off top spot is poor considering you doubled up 3 or 4 of the bottom 5.

With a draw that easy I'd be loving it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCartin, Bruce, Membrey. Not a hit up target in the bunch. All prefer jumping at the ball for pack marks.

Saints will try to go a step ahead of the small mobile teams by bombing the ball in and out marking them. Hard to lay tackles when the opposition is catching the ball 6 inches above your head!

;)

In 2016 I remember much being made of Hawthorn shutting down Nat Fyfe with their ferocious pressure, clips showed 3 Hawthorn players mugging Fyfe every time he touched the ball. Now the Bulldogs followed by Richmond have made this an art form. Every time any opponent touches the ball they are mugged. It demands a fearsome level of fitness and discipline.

I remember Tommy Hafey changed the game by demanding higher levels of fitness from his players. Players were encouraged to stick to a packet a day and to follow the maxim introduced infamously at the MCG (in the early 70s the MCG brought in a one slab limit per person you could bring to the cricket or footy) so a slab a day maximum. His demands drove 2 fine athletes in the Whale Roberts and Bones McGhie to try skip a couple of circuits of the tan during a pre season run, alas for them Tommy noticed them missing and walked the tan and became suspicious of a rather large pile of leaves...

Tommy changed the sport, Clarkson and his coaching progeny are constantly shifting the bar.

The new style does seem built on extreme fitness, like with Fyfe no chance of showing your superior skills if you have no time to use them. Seems the AFL may need to move soon on further reducing rotations to tire players more.

One thing we know is that coaches will find the answers and the game will change again.

I actually think reducing rotations further will just increase this kind of play. The best football players aren't always the fittest/have the most aerobic capacity, and can't get away into space. You'll see more aerobic beasts like Blicavs who don't really do much more to shut down the football players if rotations keep getting pushed down.

Richmond would give it a good shake.

Hawthorn apparently had "unrelenting pressure" and elite kicking skills but its possible the doggies and tigers had a higher level of pressure and more sophisticated pressing and zones.

I would back Rance, Grimes, Astbury, vlastuin to put up a good show again like the grand final against past sides. Adelaide were apparently the perfect team with the amazing forward line, got pantz.

Well, clearly that rules out clubs that get beaten by these 'not so good' teams in the grand final...

Pin point doesn't work I don't reckon against Tiger levels of pressure.

Adelaide was much maligned for trying to play a short game and this was the exact reason. If you keep possession the umpires can't ping you and the opposition can't tackle you.

Works in theory but you need the cattle. Adelaide may not have it sure but Hawthorn don't either atm.

Tiger levels of pressure were very good, but no more so than us in 2010-2012 and Hawthorn proved that they could counteract our game with their skill-based game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back