Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

10 - Frang.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Injury Status: n/a

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 29, Mr Bultitude

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think that if the Crows aren't willing to offer us a pick in the 16-22 range (and I wouldn't offer that for him), we should just tell Francis that he isn't being traded this year.

No point shipping off a contracted, high-potential player for a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick in a weak draft. Even next year's 2nd wouldn't be good enough. Might as well keep him and hope that playing for his and his family's favourite club can override the fact he is homesick. Make him put in a good pre-season (seriously, Heppell should attach himself to Francis with a bull rope and never let him out of his sight), give him some more opportunities in the senior team next year, and see if it finally clicks for him.

I'd honestly rather take the risk on him having a shitty 2018 and ruining his value even more, rather than seeing him go on to win the Rising Star at another club after we traded him for a crappy 2nd rounder.

This is exactly how I see it. By all means try and facilitate the trade, but if it doesn't eventuate then back Aaron and the club in for another 12 months.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I meant the Jenkins thing. Profits from getting undersized defenders and getting cheapies out the back. Kicked 4 on an unfit Hurley who is a poor match up for the really tall forwards

Which would be great for us considering we try to play counter attack football all the time.

Let's crowd fund a campaign to buy his folks a house over here and solve the problem for him. Could get a commission flat in Gisborne for a reasonable price.
Would be cheaper to just get him a girlfriend... *thinks about how much mine costs* nah * it lets just get the house!

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been thinking about this a bit. Frankie's brother died of cancer a few years ago. The gap that can leave in a family can be immense. Mum or Dad might have depression. I'm not sure if he has any other siblings, but if he doesn't, his parents might be doing it really tough.

I'd prefer he stayed, but it's hard to begrudge the guy given his family's recent history. Sounds like, given the challenges of acquiring SSS, someone might have quietly said, if you really think you should go this might be your best opportunity.

I think it's entirely possible Francis could be traded to another Melbourne based club - I am unconvinced about homesickness.
I can't see it. Unless you are of the belief that this whole story is orchestrated by the club in order to move him on. In which case, it seems very silly to narrow down your trade options from 17 to 2.

Sammymoite

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been thinking about this a bit. Frankie's brother died of cancer a few years ago. The gap that can leave in a family can be immense. Mum or Dad might have depression. I'm not sure if he has any other siblings, but if he doesn't, his parents might be doing it really tough.

I'd prefer he stayed, but it's hard to begrudge the guy given his family's recent history. Sounds like, given the challenges of acquiring SSS, someone might have quietly said, if you really think you should go this might be your best opportunity.

This.

Let's just put it all in perspective a little. The poor blokes already been through a lot, could hardly blame him for being homesick and wanting a move back home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skipper_

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He will either stay or go one of the SA clubs. If Port or Adelaide don't provide a suitable offer we will keep him as we have stated we would.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it's entirely possible Francis could be traded to another Melbourne based club - I am unconvinced about homesickness.
Depends on your definition....if homesickness means his hometown,which is essentially in between Melbourne and Adelaide, then it makes no sense.

If he considers Adelaide home and has an extensive network there from his school and SANFL days then I can buy it.

Depends on your definition....if homesickness means his hometown,which is essentially in between Melbourne and Adelaide, then it makes no sense.

If he considers Adelaide home and has an extensive network there from his school and SANFL days then I can buy it.
Yep, this. The rest doesn't make sense.

What is interesting is that when he was drafted he wanted to go to us or Brisbane. His brother supported Brisbane and was planning to move up their with Aaron and get work as a butcher (I think?) before he passed. Moving back to Adelaide isn't going to bring his brother back though... I'm not sure his friends in Adelaide would necessarily be the same people in the same places two years on either. Certainly wasn't the case when I did something similar, moved away, came back. The world moves on, and it's hard, but you have to deal with it. His parents and other brothers won't be much closer in Adelaide than they are in Melbourne anyway. I wonder how old the next one is, maybe we could bring them out here too.

I hope this is the catalyst for the team to get around him, for him to stay and make something of himself. A couple of months ago we were hearing how close he was, how we'd probably see him in the AFL by the end of the year (which never happened). It was like the carrot, probably similar to what happened earlier in the year when he got a couple of games a week apart. Give him a taste, try and motivate him I guess. It takes time though.

Some bits of an article (edited together) about his first game for Essendon:
“Mum and Dad were pretty emotional when they left the rooms,’’ the Loxton boy said after his father David helped him fulfil his lifelong dream by presenting him with his Essendon jumper prior to his AFL debut against Brisbane last Sunday. “I didn’t see it but I heard that as soon as they left the changerooms they lost it. It was a big day for the family, the way everything came together and they were very proud of me.’’

In a remarkable twist of fate, former West Adelaide star Francis’ AFL debut came against the club his late brother, Hayden, barracked for. It also was the club’s annual “Clash for Cancer” match. Hayden died of cancer at age 18 in September, 2014.

“Making my debut against Brisbane and the fact that it was the ‘Clash for Cancer’ round just added to the whole experience,’’ Francis, 18, told The Advertiser. “My brother was a Brisbane supporter, the only one who didn’t follow Essendon in our family, and he went at us pretty hard whenever Brisbane matched up against Essendon. So I’m guessing he would have liked the result on the weekend.’’

“The coaches identified some weaknesses with my defensive skills, the one-on-one defending and getting led up (to the ball) too much,’’ he said. “Woosha (Worsfold) and the rest of the coaching staff challenged me to work hard on that before I could play AFL.’’

Francis expects as many as 50 family members and friends to attend today’s match against the Crows at Adelaide Oval. “Playing at home will give a lot of people close to me the chance to attend and I look forward to catching up with them after the game,’’ he said.

Essendon has endured a tough, one-win season with 12 players suspended over the supplements scandal. Francis however is excited at what the future holds for the club.

”We’ve got a lot of outstanding young players here so the future is exciting and I look forward to being a part of it,’’ he said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/f0700543bfe1c833f187ae7462501f65

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Bombers fans, are you all in agreeance in wanting him to stay?
Absolutely not. There’s much division.

In a vacuum I’d like him to stay as he has a heap of untapped potential, close to our most talented player. There’s others who’re ready to ship him off.

I think we’ve got a degree of impatience due to Heppell, Merrett, Parish, McGrath etc coming on quickly once drafted

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades

I support the idea that there is definitely many reasons he has to have legitimately struggled mentally the last couple of years. From what I've heard his parents want him to stay at Essendon though so not sure what to make of that side of things.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
He hasn't grasped the opportunity with both hands.
I am more than happy for him to stay but if he goes home and helps us acquire 3S then that is how it is.
All supporters need to understand that player movement will become greater and like the NBA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back