Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

Even when it's fully completed the facility isn't up to the standard of hosting quality AFL games. From what I've seen it seems there was a fair rort going on considering how much has been spent on it. Lack of facilities, like function spaces, dining, bars and corporate areas. This has been highlighted most recently by the fact the club can't even host its own social events there or even in the town itself.

Now they're "forming a committee" (hello long lunches, tax payer plz) to work out how to better utilise the venue, aka a bunch of seats. Rort.

That's not even to mention the tens of thousands of fans that'd be turned away from attending were geelong to host more games.
Club has had the B&F at Crown as long as I can remember. Maybe there's a contract we don't know about? This year in the new Brownlow Stand a massive function room that could fit 1000 people was added, and there are plenty of facilities, dining, bar and corporate areas except in the Terrace which is going by the end of the decade. Until you come down and actually see the ground yourself, it's a little hard to be making all of these bold claims and claim any authority.

Club has had the B&F at Crown as long as I can remember. Maybe there's a contract we don't know about? This year in the new Brownlow Stand a massive function room that could fit 1000 people was added, and there are plenty of facilities, dining, bar and corporate areas except in the Terrace which is going by the end of the decade. Until you come down and actually see the ground yourself, it's a little hard to be making all of these bold claims and claim any authority.
The times I've been i would describe the match day experience as premium state league level. It's not meant as a shot at the club BTW, but the stadium management and council etc. I think the club deserves better.

In a perfect world i'd love to be one of 45k getting to a game early, sitting on a terrace eating Otways suckling pig matched with scotchmans hill sav blanc, watching the sun go down over the western stand as the bulldogs fans start rolling in on adequate public transport and from undercover off street parking, for one of their 3 or so purchased home games against interstate sides...

Instead what's on offer is rotten routleys rancid pies, a beer shed and a glut of people waiting at the wrong train station as services are forced to terminate and set down well before the main ground, then cram onto one of the 2 trains that go back north after the game, with no time to wind down at a bar aorfterwards or have a decent hotel to stay at or secure parking where you aren't going to be the victim of vandalism/theft by some bogan who can't handle his CUB "import beer"...

So you're suggesting that if it's always been held there and there's a contract in place it's ok to hold it at Crown? That's a bit like finals at the MCG isn't it?

*rant continues*

Instead we get another ******* committee eating all the western region wagyu and Meredith goat cheese washed down with bellarine wines on our coin to come up with "maybe the cats should be entitled to more home games?"

Instead of providing a premiuim facility that commands an a league team, a big bash presence, even something outside the box like a warriors nrl game - there are loads of NZ citizens in the nearby city of wyndham (until Dutton finishes with em) who could all be brought down to spend their money in our town, creating jobs etc
*trails off again*

Funny that the whining is so strong this year compared with other years, but anyway... Geelong played 5 games at the MCG during H&A this season, which obviously should have given them good experience come finals time of how the ground should be played. We have interstate team supporters now screaming out for MCG games so they can get that same experience. Whatever the AFL does, they can't win and people will whine. It seems to be the way of the world these days.

The most simple answer to the problem is to just stop whining.
Lol coming from the supporter who’s club had every possible advantage this year

Even when it's fully completed the facility isn't up to the standard of hosting quality AFL games. From what I've seen it seems there was a fair rort going on considering how much has been spent on it. Lack of facilities, like function spaces, dining, bars and corporate areas. This has been highlighted most recently by the fact the club can't even host its own social events there or even in the town itself.

Now they're "forming a committee" (hello long lunches, tax payer plz) to work out how to better utilise the venue, aka a bunch of seats. Rort.

That's not even to mention the tens of thousands of fans that'd be turned away from attending were geelong to host more games.
What exactly have you seen, do tell?

So you're suggesting that if it's always been held there and there's a contract in place it's ok to hold it at Crown? That's a bit like finals at the MCG isn't it?
MCG finals contract states 2 Week 1 to 3 finals a year calculated as 10 finals in a 5 year rolling period, and each GF to be played there until 2037. AFL hasn't and can't break this contract. With Geelong and Richmond finishing top 4, that guaranteed the MCG two finals involving Richmond, hence no reason contractually why the Sydney MCG final, which drew a small crowd filled with neutrals, could not have been played at the MCG.

What exactly have you seen, do tell?
Went to a cats-crows game couple years ago, getting tickets/motivation to attempt to get tickets is a big turn off, which is another gripe going against the case for matches down here.

Go to the annual vfl praccy game between our clubs, and been to an AFL praccy b/w dogs and bombers way back when, every so often go to the GFL finals and local auskick family events.

Have cat fan members of varying levels and often see/hear them share their experiences - from members of the veggie patch, to Peroni bar attendees, right up to a work colleague who tells me all about the (supposed) "corporate" experience/presidents functions they attend as their spouse is on the committee of the KP trust.

MCG finals contract states 2 Week 1 to 3 finals a year calculated as 10 finals in a 5 year rolling period, and each GF to be played there until 2037. AFL hasn't and can't break this contract. With Geelong and Richmond finishing top 4, that guaranteed the MCG two finals involving Richmond, hence no reason contractually why the Sydney MCG final, which drew a small crowd filled with neutrals, could not have been played at the MCG.
The current contract is a renegotiation of the old, essentially broken, contract where a prelim had to be held at the MCC.

Nothing to do with travel. We'll play extra away games interstate if it appeases you. We just want 11 Home games in Geelong, just as you have the right to 11 home games in Melbourne
I've always said that I'd be more than happy for you to play all 11 home games down there on the proviso your memberships rights in Melbourne are terminated and you are treated like a interstate side. No more 18 game H&A memberships that allow entry to away games in Melbourne.
You would also need to relinquish Easter Monday football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with travel. We'll play extra away games interstate if it appeases you. We just want 11 Home games in Geelong, just as you have the right to 11 home games in Melbourne

Its a bit narrow minded to think that you could survive playing ALL your games in Geelong.

Yes, in the short fall you gain some home ground advantage and maybe a few wins along the way but you also restrict the growth of your supporter base. How can you increase your membership base when the only access you have to the ground is a 30k stadium? Your Melbourne based supporters will drop off. Revenue from sponsorship will drop off accordingly etc.

And to top that, during the periods where you aren't as successful as you have been in the past decade, the whole situation only gets worse!

I've always said that I'd be more than happy for you to play all 11 home games down there on the proviso your memberships rights in Melbourne are terminated and you are treated like a interstate side. No more 18 game H&A memberships that allow entry to away games in Melbourne.

Non Victorian clubs currently offer membership packages and rights to entry of 'Away' games, what's the beef?

Isn't Easter a Hawthorn home game? Unless Easter isn't practiced in Geelong - possibly right as there is a high level of heathens in Geelong so you could be right....

Fine by me, If we don't have the seats for Melbourne supporters, then we can't take any away from you either. Easter Monday just comes down the highway when it's our turn.

Its a bit narrow minded to think that you could survive playing ALL your games in Geelong.

Yes, in the short fall you gain some home ground advantage and maybe a few wins along the way but you also restrict the growth of your supporter base. How can you increase your membership base when the only access you have to the ground is a 30k stadium? Your Melbourne based supporters will drop off. Revenue from sponsorship will drop off accordingly etc.

And to top that, during the periods where you aren't as successful as you have been in the past decade, the whole situation only gets worse!
We would still have 4 or 5 Melbourne away games, by all accounts that's what Geelong should have at home, so I don't see any problem with that on the flip side.

Non Victorian clubs currently offer membership packages and rights to entry of 'Away' games, what's the beef?

Isn't Easter a Hawthorn home game? Unless Easter isn't practiced in Geelong - possibly right as there is a high level of heathens in Geelong so you could be right....

Obviously not a member/never been to the Easter Monday game as that has been alternating home fixture for at least the past 6 years.
I guess playing all games in Geelong doesn't effect you from the couch?

Which non Victorian clubs offer entry for all away games in Melbourne?
I thought all interstate clubs only offer 11 game home memberships only.

Fine by me, If we don't have the seats for Melbourne supporters, then we can't take any away from you either. Easter Monday just comes down the highway when it's our turn.
Easter Monday has to stay at the MCG IMO so maybe Hawthorn have to look at playing someone else on that day in the future

Which non Victorian clubs offer entry for all away games in Melbourne?
I thought all interstate clubs only offer 11 game home memberships only.

It varies, I believe for the Crows you can buy an Away Victorian package. Other clubs have offers depending on demand...

Obviously not a member/never been to the Easter Monday game as that has been alternating home fixture for at least the past 6 years.
I guess playing all games in Geelong doesn't effect you from the couch?

Alternate home ground KP and MCG then - Geelong makes more money at KP and I think the Geelong hierarchy would ideally want to play all home games at KP.

Thanks for asking, my couch is comfortable and actually quite portable...

stadium-in-berlin-turned-into-giant-living-room-people-bring-own-couches-1.jpg

Alternate home ground KP and MCG then - Geelong makes more money at KP and I think the Geelong hierarchy would ideally want to play all home games at KP.

Thanks for asking, my couch is comfortable and actually quite portable...

stadium-in-berlin-turned-into-giant-living-room-people-bring-own-couches-1.jpg

Do you think Hawthorn choose to play in Tassie for the home ground advantage it brings down there? Do GWS play games out of Canberra because it is a fortress at that venue?
No its not, its a commercial decision to give them more exposure. Much similar to your 'exposure' with your home games in Melbourne.

Your own club doesn't want to pigeon hole itself to Geelong.

Do you think Hawthorn choose to play in Tassie for the home ground advantage it brings down there? Do GWS play games out of Canberra because it is a fortress at that venue?
No its not, its a commercial decision to give them more exposure. Much similar to your 'exposure' with your home games in Melbourne.

Your own club doesn't want to pigeon hole itself to Geelong.

You better tell the decision makers then....

“We want to get to a position where we can play 11 games in Geelong,” Acting CEO Justin Reeves told the Geelong Advertiser. June 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back