2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody else keen on Lochie O'Brien with pick 18/19?

Seems like he could be that scully/isaac smith/stephen or brad hill type that we sorely lack.

Excellent raking left foot, good hnds on the lead and overhead and a good tank.
We don't seem to have anyone like that on our list and bewick/cutler types probably aren't up to scratch.

I sure do,

Here’s a few descriptions

Lochie O’Brien – O’Brien finished the year with a bang – with one of his best games of the season with 24 disposals and seven marks. O’Brien was able to link up more in the attacking half of the ground and get the ball moving forward. Whilst he had a few ineffective kicks by foot – he was mostly clean and able to hit targets on his left foot. Possess a great burst of Name: Lochie O’Brien

Position: Outside Midfielder
Club: Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country
DOB: 18-9-1999
Height: 184cm
Weight: 75kg
Draft range: 10-20

Summary: Classy outside midfielder with damaging disposal and exceptional work rate. Has been likened to Nick Dal Santo
Strengths:

Kicking
Endurance
Speed
Burst from the contest
Lethal disposal
Work rate
Weaknesses:

Injury interrupted draft year
Overview

O’Brien entered the year as perhaps the most talented midfielder in the draft pool, but injury stalled his campaign. He is a damaging user of the ball, with a classy kick, accurate handballing and exceptional game-reading ability.

His excellent endurance and work rate mean is a strong two-way runner and this allows him to dictate play and create from deep in defence as well as in attack.
Recruiters may be concerned that his body may not be up to the rigours of AFL footy, after suffering several injuries which have hardly helped his draft stock over the past 12 months.

Regardless, Lochie O’Brien is a natural footballer who, if not for injury, would be well inside this year’s top 10. O’Brien would be a perfect fit for a club looking for midfield class, particularly St Kilda and North Melbourne

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As has been mentioned, pick 12 is starting to look borderline on getting a kid that might suit the clubs needs.

Looking less and likely that any of the talls go in the top 10. Also looks like the top 4 may have become a top 5 with Brayshaw pushing up late.

Rayner
LDU
Brayshaw
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Bonar
Clark
Fogarty
Constable
Higgins

Two players I'm not keen on are Higgins and Constable.

Trade period is going to be interesting to see which first round picks get traded and what the first round will look like after the trade period ends.
Agree with it all. I actually would like to move into the top ten with 12 + 18 with something coming back.

As has been mentioned, pick 12 is starting to look borderline on getting a kid that might suit the clubs needs.

Looking less and likely that any of the talls go in the top 10. Also looks like the top 4 may have become a top 5 with Brayshaw pushing up late.

Rayner
LDU
Brayshaw
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Bonar
Clark
Fogarty
Constable
Higgins

Trade period is going to be interesting to see which first round picks get traded and what the first round will look like after the trade period ends.
I think at pick one, we could nab either one of the top 4 u listed. I'm not overly attached to any particular one of them, but it may be a year of the 4 B's...Brayshaw, Bonar, Ballendon and Bcharliecameron. (OK I made the 4th one up)

Rayner
LDU
Brayshaw
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Bonar
Clark
Fogarty
Constable
Higgins

I heard Magpies may go for a tall .........Brander....at number 6 which may help Bonar get to 12 but I doubt it with the saints interest in him. Looking at that list it is almost stomachable to swap 1 for 7n8.........with possibly Stephensen n Bonar

Seems to be a consensus on here we not takeing Rayner. Is this purely because one journo decided he maybe a flight risk? He is from Sydenham(may have the spelling wrong) now if you have been to Sydenham you know if you get out you are not going to be in a rush to get back. If he is the best player we must take him.

Seems to be a consensus on here we not takeing Rayner. Is this purely because one journo decided he maybe a flight risk? He is from Sydenham(may have the spelling wrong) now if you have been to Sydenham you know if you get out you are not going to be in a rush to get back. If he is the best player we must take him.
truth.. To back up my point about LDU and Mornington Peninsula, I would argue that Rye is more 'Melbourne' than Sydenham.

The only kids that will truly not have to move away from home at all are the ones playing for 7 private schools in wealthy suburbs close to the city (Scotch, St Kevins, Brighton, Xavier, Caulfield, Wesley, Melbourne Grammar, Carey). If they go to one of those schools, and are not boarding there from the country, they will be a genuine flight risk imo.

I'm very comfortable with Conole in charge of who we take at pick 1 with input from Noble and Fagan. IMO it will be Davies-Uniacke or Dow with Brayshaw charging late, if it's Rayner all is good with me.

I am just going off the Allstar game where Stevenson n Bonar blitzed it.....udl n brayshaw were on the understudies.

I am just going off the Allstar game where Stevenson n Bonar blitzed it.....udl n brayshaw were on the understudies.

Dow Pick 1
Bonar for our 2nd pick in draft
Lochie OBrien - from Dow’s TAC team pick 3
Charlie Cameron pick 19
Ballenden with points collected along the trade swapping system
Payne same way even if we deficit points next year as not a Academy year in 2018 for us by the look of things.
Hodge last pick we hold
Sambono hope for Rookie pick

Off goes Bewick
& Paparone for 3 -4 th round picks
Close? Possibly

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Just saying the talk didn't start with one journalist. It reportedly started amongst the Vic Metro U18 squad and spread from there.

No journalist can legitimately report it, because no kid is going to go on record, so it remains as rumour and speculation.

I heard Magpies may go for a tall .........Brander....at number 6 which may help Bonar get to 12 but I doubt it with the saints interest in him. Looking at that list it is almost stomachable to swap 1 for 7n8.........with possibly Stephensen n Bonar
If the magpies genuinely want Brander he should be available at pick 12.

Pick 6 looks like a reach, pick 12 looks fair value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saying the talk didn't start with one journalist. It reportedly started amongst the Vic Metro U18 squad and spread from there.

No journalist can legitimately report it, because no kid is going to go on record, so it remains as rumour and speculation.
Yeah see your point, could have easily started at North or Carlton as well.

Rayner
LDU
Brayshaw
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Coffield
Bonar
Clark

Fogarty
Constable
Higgins

This is why I'd love to trade up to a pick in the top 9, IMO it drops off a bit after those.

I grew up in the area and went to school in Sydenham and it wasn't too bad. Even then, just because he potentially wants to play in Victoria, it doesn't mean he wants to move back home. Even if he lived somewhere like Fitzroy or Brunswick, it's only a 30 min drive to go visit family and friends in Sydenham.

If he wants to stay in Melbourne to be close to family and friends, being from Sydenham isn't really a deterrent.

Saw an article in the West Australian this morning stating that Freo are very highly into Sam Hayes and possibly using their first pick to get him. Currently number 5.
I wonder if they are an option to trade up. 12 and 18 for 4 and something back, their earliest is 40 at this stage.
Surely Sam Hayes as a ruckman won't go before 12.
It is still in our favour points wise though.

Last edited:
Saw an article in the West Australian this morning stating that Freo are very highly into Sam Hayes and possibly using their first pick to get him. Currently number 5.
I wonder if they are an option to trade up. 12 and 18 for 4 and something back, their earliest is 40 at this stage.
It is still in our favour points wise though.
No way they need to give anything back, even though 12 and 18 are in their favour points wise I'd much rather have 5.
(I also agree that no way Sam Hayes goes top 10, they'd get him at 12)
But also why would they need to draft another ruckman, they just drafted Sean Darcy who looks to be a gun

I wonder if they are an option to trade up. 12 and 19 for 4 and something back if they can get it, their earliest is 40 at this stage.

I heard this as well. Hayes'draft range is 10-20 and I highly doubt that clubs with picks in the top 11 will draft him.

I did mentioned before about trading picks 12 & 18 for picks 5 and 40.
That leaves us with 1, 5, 19*, 40 & 41.
Importantly it gives us 2 picks in the top 5 and gives us only one pick (compo pick 19) to deal with Adelaide for Cameron.
It also allows Freo to draft Hayes with pick 12 and use pick 18 in trades with other clubs to acquire the players their linked to (Wilson, Matera, etc).

No way they need to give anything back, even though 12 and 18 are in their favour points wise I'd much rather have 5.
(I also agree that no way Sam Hayes goes top 10, they'd get him at 12)
But also why would they need to draft another ruckman, they just drafted Sean Darcy who looks to be a gun
Yeah sorry, they have pick 5,
Would be happy giving up 12 and 19 for 5.

If the club is thinking of upgrading Hammer does he have to be taken in the National draft? Or can he be taken in the Psd?
Just with the academy and points. With only being able to take the same amount of picks as positions available.
If we can upgrade him via the psd we can take an extra pick into the draft for points.
Just wondering.

If the club is thinking of upgrading Hammer does he have to be taken in the National draft? Or can he be taken in the Psd?
Just with the academy and points. With only being able to take the same amount of picks as positions available.
If we can upgrade him via the psd we can take an extra pick into the draft for points.
Just wondering.

I guess we could delist him and then draft him in the PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back