Western Bulldogs (2016) vs Richmond (2017)

Which team would win in a game?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure. The Bulldogs used 39 players, which is a very high number for a premier. Richmond used 35 up to Round 17 and subsequently introduced Townsend, Graham and Broad who were all excellent on the big day, for a total of 38. Players were smashing the door down in the VFL but couldn't get in.

Adding three premiership players so late in the season has never previously been done. Hawthorn for example did not add a premiership player to the team after Round 7 during their threepeat.
They played roles for sure but you guys didn't have an any injuries and we were missing quite a few. Just felt we had more on that next line after the guns.

We managed to cover Stringer (useless in the finals apart from a quarter against the Hawks), Murphy, Crameri, Wallis, Adams all being injured pretty comfortably in the end.

Not sure Richmond could do the same.

They played roles for sure but you guys didn't have an any injuries and we were missing quite a few. Just felt we had more on that next line after the guns.

We managed to cover Stringer (useless the finals apart from a quarter against the Hawks), Murphy, Crameri, Wallis, Adams all being injured pretty comfortably in the end.

Not sure Richmond could do the same.

I think we'd cover the players you might regard as B grade reasonably well -- we've got a few like for like replacements for those guys.

But I'm not sure how you'd ever replace any of our big four: Reiwoldt, Rance, Cotchin, and Martin.

That said, it's very hard to be definitive. Who'd have guessed that our highest goal kicker in the GF would be a kid in his fifth senior game? Sometimes the includes can surprise.

In all honesty, I really like what the Doggies did in 2016 and at an emotional level I'm happy not knowing the answer to the question!

Last edited:

Or back line is elite compared to the dogs. Seriously it would never happen. Dogs won a fairytale 2016 from 7th and Richmond should have finished top but won it from 3rd. Both teams were the premiers for the respective years. I think the dogs can thank the bye for the flag.
Your backline isnt elite apart from Rance. Very efficient but not star studded.

That said, it's very hard to be definitive. Who'd have guessed that our highest goal kicker in the GF would be a kid in his fifth senior game? Sometimes the includes can surprise.

By that token who’d have guessed our grand final leading goal kickers would be Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson and Liam Picken?

Boyd even had five shots on goal. Missed a set shot in the third from outside 50 and then a minute after his million dollar long bomb sealer narrowly missed on the run

The top 8 was stronger in 2016 compared to 2017 imo. Like I said you are deserving premiers but I feel the Dogs were at a slightly higher level during their finals run.

The Top 7 was stronger in 2016, but that was in part because the Bottom 4 or 5 were far weaker.

The reason why Dogs finished 7th with 15 wins, and Richmond finished 3rd with 15 wins, was because during the 2016 season, there were only about 9 or 10 genuine contenders for the Top 8 spots and the final 8 was decided many weeks out from the finals, but in 2017 there were about 14 teams who had a realistic chance for finals, and things went down to literally the last few minutes of the last game of the season.

The top teams didn't get as many walkover matches to pad up their win tallies, and to get 15 wins in 2017 was harder than in 2016, because the comp was far more even.

Defence is Richmonds trump card-do the Dogs score much more than 10 goals?

Then it depends on the day if Tigers midget fwds can scrag enough goals, with Jack Towno and Dusty contributing a couple each.

Which KPD does Townsend reverse tag? Try to shut down Eastern Woods intercept marking?

Your backline isnt elite apart from Rance. Very efficient but not star studded.
I guess that's the danger in looking at individuals and their respective reputations rather than the unit as a whole. People did the same to the Bulldogs of 2016, I guess.

Ultimately both brought their best in September to get the job done.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

By that token who’d have guessed our grand final leading goal kickers would be Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson and Liam Picken?

Boyd even had five shots on goal. Missed a set shot in the third from outside 50 and then a minute after his million dollar long bomb sealer narrowly missed on the run
You're comparing a 200cm guy recruited on big money to be your long term savior in the forward line to a first year mid coming off a late start into his first year in the AFL system, playing his 5th game.

I know which one I find more surprising to bob up and kick most goals in the big game!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a good game on paper.

But I wonder how the Tiges would fare with a -10+ free kick differential?

Oh no need that actually happened this year when they played the Dogs already and they lost to the Dogs.

/end thread ;)

No chance.

Oh no need that actually happened this year when they played the Dogs already and they lost to the Dogs.

/end thread ;)

No chance.
Much better side come late August and September, early in the year we were just finding our feet.

Jack Graham and Jacob Townsend were the last pieces to the Richmond puzzle. They didn't play earlier in the year. With them in the team it would be a great match between the two premiers.

Bulldogs by 5 goals. Competition was a lot tougher between the top teams in 2016. Most teams forgot to show up in 2017.

/end thread ;)

No chance.
Tigers fans surely wouldnt even be moronic enough to squeal about free kick stats when they're clearly beaten by the better side.

Free kick stats don't have to be even you know?

If we played you in the finals (which you did'nt manage to make) Richmond by 84 points.
If you'd played us in the last round it would've been 100 plus points. Hawthorn were bad that night and touched us up. We'd completely checked out for the year.

Our 2017 was that bad we don't deserve to be mentioned with finals. Not even hypothetical ones.

Back