AFL Club
Essendon

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
“I have a vision that Joe doesn’t ruck at all,” he told The Crichton Panel.

Good to hear as I never been a fan of Joe in the ruck as it adds to the risk of him getting hurt & while it's just a gut feel without any stats, the side often seemed to struggle (further) clearance wise when he was in there.

I like it in theory - but our ruck worked pretty well with him there this year. I often felt it helped him get into the game when the ball wasn't coming his way. He also kicked plenty of goals from the ruck as well.

The question for mine is: Who replaces him in the ruck and how will it affect their existing role?

One thing I am 100% deadset against is playing both Bellchambers and Leuenberger.
I'd be OK with Hooker or Stewart playing as relief ruck. Stewart would be the preferred option but the problem is he's not any good in the ruck.

The ideal solution would be to have a ruck who is an athletic beast (Kreuzer type) who can pretty much go all game as long as they don't need to take any forward line ruck contests. Unfortunately Bellchamber's endurance is on the lower end (Joe played more ruck it seemed when he was in the team) and Leuenberger whilst better is still not at that level either.

I like it in theory - but our ruck worked pretty well with him there this year. I often felt it helped him get into the game when the ball wasn't coming his way. He also kicked plenty of goals from the ruck as well.

The question for mine is: Who replaces him in the ruck and how will it affect their existing role?

One thing I am 100% deadset against is playing both Bellchambers and Leuenberger.
I'd be OK with Hooker or Stewart playing as relief ruck. Stewart would be the preferred option but the problem is he's not any good in the ruck.

The ideal solution would be to have a ruck who is an athletic beast (Kreuzer type) who can pretty much go all game as long as they don't need to take any forward line ruck contests. Unfortunately Bellchamber's endurance is on the lower end (Joe played more ruck it seemed when he was in the team) and Leuenberger whilst better is still not at that level either.

Reckon JD doesn't win the B and F without stints in the ruck - It's working beautifully - So why change ? Finally, his tapwork is improving and we lose little when he is in the ruck.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Daniher v Carlisle would be fascinating.
The Prosecutor, Feb 22, 2013

joe-daniher-of-the-bombers-takes-a-spectacular-mark-over-jake-of-the-picture-id814425610

HurlsMeister18

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Full Back
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably wins the Coleman Medal without his stints in the ruck this year. Hoping we can find someone else to play that chop out / part time ruck role next
year and let Joey be a constant threat in the forward line, he doesn't really add that much in the ruck in regards to hit out's and clearances.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Probably wins the Coleman Medal without his stints in the ruck this year. Hoping we can find someone else to play that chop out / part time ruck role next
year and let Joey be a constant threat in the forward line, he doesn't really add that much in the ruck in regards to hit out's and clearances.
Tiges used Grigg to some effect throughout the year.
We got a tall mid who can jump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back