Review The Grand Final Disaster of 2017.

Maddogmetro

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Polite bunch you are, aren't you? You were clearly not at the game because if you were you'd know that the Adelaide supporters who were there at the start of the game were loud, louder than we were and I was sitting above our cheer squad. They were awesome. It was only once we got on top that they quietened down and our noise got on top.

At the end of the day, you guys can sook all you like, the Grand Final is played at the MCG, no amount of interstate whinging when you lose will change that, and YOU CAN USE ALL THE CAP LOCKS YOU LIKE IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER, but RICHMOND are the 2017 PREMIERS. Your club can focus on making pathetic excuses like the supporters have all week or they can focus on why your players and coaches got stagefright on the biggest stage of the year and do something about it.

Go gloat on your own board dh. You have offered absolutely no insight into the game other than to tell us to suck it up. Get lost.

Bone71

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Polite bunch you are, aren't you? You were clearly not at the game because if you were you'd know that the Adelaide supporters who were there at the start of the game were loud, louder than we were and I was sitting above our cheer squad. They were awesome. It was only once we got on top that they quietened down and our noise got on top.

At the end of the day, you guys can sook all you like, the Grand Final is played at the MCG, no amount of interstate whinging when you lose will change that, and YOU CAN USE ALL THE CAP LOCKS YOU LIKE IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER, but RICHMOND are the 2017 PREMIERS. Your club can focus on making pathetic excuses like the supporters have all week or they can focus on why your players and coaches got stagefright on the biggest stage of the year and do something about it.
Um yes I was there and yes our fans were good but were clearly out numbered and the noise level from the Richmond fans was much much louder. I think you were just surprised to actually hear support for the other team. What did you think of the pregame and ingame stuff? A hyped up version of a typical Richmond home game? Wouldn't have known it was a supposed neutral game.

I'm sorry if the reality of the inherent advantage you get being pointed out to you is uncomfortable but do not come in here and complain about non vic teams getting an advantage THEY ******* EARN'T in the lead up finals and in the H&A season were they experience a balancing disadvantage when your team gets the ONLY ADVANTAGE THAT TRULY MATTERS.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Um yes I was there and yes our fans were good but were clearly out numbered and the noise level from the Richmond fans was much much louder. I think you were just surprised to actually here support for the other team. What did you think of the pregame and ingame stuff? A hyped up version of a typical Richmond home game? Wouldn't have known it was a supposed neutral game.

I'm sorry if the reality of the inherent advantage you get being pointed out to you is uncomfortable but do not come in here and complain about non vic teams getting an advantage THEY ******* EARN'T in the lead up finals and in the H&A season were they experience a balancing disadvantage when your team gets the ONLY ADVANTAGE THAT TRULY MATTERS.

OH, THE CAP LOCKS AGAIN! AND THE *******s. So salty. Interstate teams get 11 games a season of biased umpiring. It gets them to a grand final where most can't cope without it. And before you start with it being a national competition, the Victorians teams didn't join the SANFL. If we had, we would have expected that the Grand Finals would be played in Adelaide. If you don't like playing at the MCG, go watch Glenelg v Sturt. Enjoy your offseason. I'm done.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
One thing Pyke and the coaching group have to take responsbility for is they didn't produce a team that had "bad day insurance."

If you look at the team's results throughout the year, this really starts to become clear. I can't think of one game where we had to grind to win, where we won in spite of having a bad day, where we won narrowly, or where we came from behind to win. Maybe that Collingwood game, but that wasn't a win.

These traits are almost always hallmarks of premiership teams, because relying on having 3 or 4 good days in succession during a finals series puts you right in the lap of the gods.

The finals we won against GWS and Geelong were textbook "good day" games.

The 1997 prelim is an example of what I'm talking about. The team had just about the worst day imaginable. Played horribly for almost three quarters. Kicked 12.21. But won.

Look at Geelong in the 2007 prelim. Played almost their worst game for the year. But won. And then went on to win three flags.

That is Pyke's challenge, to build a team that can win when they're having a s**t day.
I've thought this for a while. We can't find another way to win. We're so drilled that it makes you wonder whether players lose their natural football instinct when things aren't working.

There's no doubt in my mind that someone should have thumped someone ten minutes into the third quarter. We had lost control of the game and needed to use McEnroe tactics to stop momentum. At the very least we should have flooded the defence to stop the margin blowing out and giving us a chance in the last. That's on Tex and the coach. The big fella needed to earn himself a 6 week holiday by taking Cotchin out and making a statement. The coach needed to focus on winning the game in front of him rather than hoping they'd just "click" at some stage.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing Pyke and the coaching group have to take responsbility for is they didn't produce a team that had "bad day insurance."

If you look at the team's results throughout the year, this really starts to become clear. I can't think of one game where we had to grind to win, where we won in spite of having a bad day, where we won narrowly, or where we came from behind to win. Maybe that Collingwood game, but that wasn't a win.

These traits are almost always hallmarks of premiership teams, because relying on having 3 or 4 good days in succession during a finals series puts you right in the lap of the gods.

The finals we won against GWS and Geelong were textbook "good day" games.

The 1997 prelim is an example of what I'm talking about. The team had just about the worst day imaginable. Played horribly for almost three quarters. Kicked 12.21. But won.

Look at Geelong in the 2007 prelim. Played almost their worst game for the year. But won. And then went on to win three flags.

That is Pyke's challenge, to build a team that can win when they're having a s**t day.
Hawthorn away would be the only one. Down 6 goals to 1, won by a couple.

Agree with your post though.

Bone71

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
OH, THE CAP LOCKS AGAIN! AND THE *******s. So salty. Interstate teams get 11 games a season of biased umpiring. It gets them to a grand final where most can't cope without it. And before you start with it being a national competition, the Victorians teams didn't join the SANFL. If we had, we would have expected that the Grand Finals would be played in Adelaide. If you don't like playing at the MCG, go watch Glenelg v Sturt. Enjoy your offseason. I'm done.
How would Richmond have coped at AO in the GF? Don't say it doesn't matter because the GF will always be at the MCG just answer the question....................

I'm well aware that Adelaide joined the VFL we've had 27 seasons of reminders. So I'm happy to take the, supposed, 10 games of biased umpiring at AO since we get raped in every other way in this competition.

Just remember the only way your s**t club has manged to win a flag in the modern era was with the AFL paving the way at every step - well done congratulations!

BTW I DON'T CARE THAT YOU DON'T LIKE CAPS LOCK I WILL USE IT WHENEVER I ******* WELL LIKE.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've thought this for a while. We can't find another way to win. We're so drilled that it makes you wonder whether players lose their natural football instinct when things aren't working.

There's no doubt in my mind that someone should have thumped someone ten minutes into the third quarter. We had lost control of the game and needed to use McEnroe tactics to stop momentum. At the very least we should have flooded the defence to stop the margin blowing out and giving us a chance in the last. That's on Tex and the coach. The big fella needed to earn himself a 6 week holiday by taking Cotchin out and making a statement. The coach needed to focus on winning the game in front of him rather than hoping they'd just "click" at some stage.

It's a good point. We have a lot of blokes who think leading by example is enough.

But it's not enough. If you're a leader and you're having a s**t individual game, you have to be able to impact the game - and your teammates- in other ways.

Swooping Crow

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

You should have played Geelong at Simonds in first final.

You were gifted a flag. Well done!

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a good point. We have a lot of blokes who think leading by example is enough.

But it's not enough. If you're a leader and you're having a s**t individual game, you have to be able to impact the game - and your teammates- in other ways.

Tex's lack of leadership (lack of anything) in the biggest game most of these guys will ever play is unforgivable.

Tex's lack of leadership (lack of anything) in the biggest game most of these guys will ever play is unforgivable.

Im curious as to why he didnt take it upon himself to get into the players heads at HT that while we are down, we are still in the game.

For the Tigers to turn a 9pt lead at HT into a 48pt bashing at the final siren is inexcusable.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
How would Richmond have coped at AO in the GF? Don't say it doesn't matter because the GF will always be at the MCG just answer the question....................

I'm well aware that Adelaide joined the VFL we've had 27 seasons of reminders. So I'm happy to take the, supposed, 10 games of biased umpiring at AO since we get raped in every other way in this competition.

Just remember the only way your s**t club has manged to win a flag in the modern era was with the AFL paving the way at every step - well done congratulations!

BTW I DON'T CARE THAT YOU DON'T LIKE CAPS LOCK I WILL USE IT WHENEVER I ******* WELL LIKE.
i come in peace and understand your anguish, cant agree on the bs that the afl paved the way for us. we had a crap draw on the back of an ordinary 2016 and were dealt no fav during the finals. the draw opened up for us after cats defeated GWS in final Round and we benefited from the cards that were dealt. there's no case around home grounds in finals coz there never has been a mandate other than utilising either MCG or Etihad
we were forced to wear our away strip and the campaigners didn't even play our song as we broke thru the barrier

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
You should have played Geelong at Simonds in first final.

You were gifted a flag. Well done!
Did you say that in 1997 when Adelaide got a home semi-final against Geelong despite the Cats finishing higher on the H&A ladder than the Crows? :rolleyes:

Finals are played at the MCG. Always have been since 1897, always will. Geelong have played 118 finals in their history and 96 have been at the MCG (for 9 flags) and only two have been at their home grounds (one at Corio and one at KP). Playing finals at the MCG didn't stop Geelong winning in 2007-09-11. It didn't stop Adelaide winning in 1997-98. It didn't stop Richmond being totally crap for 35 straight years either. If you're the good enough on the day you win; if not you lose. Footy is as simple as that!

Speaking of unfair advantages and "gifting" wins, Adelaide and Geelong didn't have to play Richmond at the MCG during the H&A season yet Richmond had to play both teams away. The Tigers only got one home game against the other top 5 teams (vs GWS). Yeah the Tigers really got an advantage there! :rolleyes: Richmond missed out on finishing on top of the ladder by just 2 points because by your own 'logic' the Tigers missed out on a certain 12 points vs Adel, Geel & Port at the MCG if we had a truly fair H&A season. So, again by your own 'logic', Adelaide and Geelong only finished above Richmond on the ladder due to the "gift" of home ground advantage thanks to the unevenness of the draw. Whinge all you like but you can't have it both ways.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond

We could have played you at any ground in the country and we still would have won. Please don't say it was the venue that gave us the win as that's a cop out for your supposed leaders like Tex, Jenkins and betts who along with most of your team were not up to it when we applied the heat. Best to lose graciously, it's a much better look.

Bone71

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
We could have played you at any ground in the country and we still would have won. Please don't say it was the venue that gave us the win as that's a cop out for your supposed leaders like Tex, Jenkins and betts who along with most of your team were not up to it when we applied the heat. Best to lose graciously, it's a much better look.
Maybe but its not that certain. Good sides lose away on grounds that don't suit them often.

As for Adelaide's performance, well, I'm less complimentary than I was to the idiot that thinks that the good vic sides are in any way harsher done by the H&A fixture than any of the non vic sides. I still can't put into words how furious I am at that pathetic capitulation.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe but its not that certain. Good sides lose away on grounds that don't suit them often.

As for Adelaide's performance, well, I'm less complimentary than I was to the idiot that thinks that the good vic sides are in any way harsher done by the H&A fixture than any of the non vic sides. I still can't put into words how furious I am at that pathetic capitulation.
Also don't underestimate the home crowd advantage. It works more often than not particularly when talking about the top teams who are vying for a flag. Just my 2c worth coming from another non Vic supporter without any ties to either side who played in the GF.

Bone71

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Did you say that in 1997 when Adelaide got a home semi-final against Geelong despite the Cats finishing higher on the H&A ladder than the Crows? :rolleyes:

Speaking of unfair advantages and "gifting" wins, Adelaide and Geelong didn't have to play Richmond at the MCG during the H&A season yet Richmond had to play both teams away. The Tigers only got one home game against the other top 5 teams (vs GWS). Yeah the Tigers really got an advantage there! :rolleyes: Richmond missed out on finishing on top of the ladder by just 2 points because by your own 'logic' the Tigers missed out on a certain 12 points vs Adel, Geel & Port at the MCG if we had a truly fair H&A season. So, again by your own 'logic', Adelaide and Geelong only finished above Richmond on the ladder due to the "gift" of home ground advantage thanks to the unevenness of the draw. Whinge all you like but you can't have it both ways.
Understand how the seedings worked back then. Yes Adelaide had every right to host that game in 97, Geelong lost to 7th and Adelaide beat 5th in what world does Adelaide not go past Geelong in the seedings?

As to the rest. Cry me a river, so you didn't get a return game against us and a couple of others. There are only 5 return games and I'm pretty certain Richmond and the AFL would have preferred them to be almost exclusively against other vic clubs. Try going to Kardinia Park every year or getting stuck with one or more of the Tasmania or Darwin games just because vic clubs can't pay the bills and their supporters are too insular to turn up against non vic sides.

skoobydoo

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Under the Southern Cross
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bite Basebal Crystal Brook Roosters
Goers in his Sunday Mail column asks Crows supporters to stop blaming your own, in fact 'please stop blaming everyone'. This from a Port Adelaide supporter ?

Graciously, and in humble irony, he goes on to finish his column poo-pooing the 'pre-finals Gold Coast idyll' and labelling the 'staring caper during the national anthem as stupid'. What an SA treasure this person is !

'Stop Blaming Everyone' ? ? Lol. NTUA............the very essence of PA delusion.

GMS (roughly translated > give me strength ! )

Bone71

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
i come in peace and understand your anguish, cant agree on the bs that the afl paved the way for us. we had a crap draw on the back of an ordinary 2016 and were dealt no fav during the finals. the draw opened up for us after cats defeated GWS in final Round and we benefited from the cards that were dealt. there's no case around home grounds in finals coz there never has been a mandate other than utilising either MCG or Etihad
we were forced to wear our away strip and the campaigners didn't even play our song as we broke thru the barrier
What? So you think that not only you should get to play at your home ground against a side ranked higher than you but you also DESERVE to wear your home strip?

Your draw is only crap if you an average to poor vic team, it was no harder than the average non vic draw. I also watched all your finals and lets just say you had the rub of the green in every one of them. Don't even need to mention your captain who would have been rubbed out 100% of the time over the last 5 years....................

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
What? So you think that not only you should get to play at your home ground against a side ranked higher than you but you also DESERVE to wear your home strip?

Your draw is only crap if you an average to poor vic team, it was no harder than the average non vic draw. I also watched all your finals and lets just say you had the rub of the green in every one of them. Don't even need to mention your captain who would have been rubbed out 100% of the time over the last 5 years....................
So you think the afl should have introduced a policy in 2017 that awarded home finals , it's never been the case , always played at MCG or etihad and before that vfl park. With winning margin 51p, 36p and 48p , there was a bit more than rub of the green in it and cotcha didn't deserve a suspension anymore than sloane did ,

Bone71

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
So you think the afl should have introduced a policy in 2017 that awarded home finals , it's never been the case , always played at MCG or etihad and before that vfl park. With winning margin 51p, 36p and 48p , there was a bit more than rub of the green in it and cotcha didn't deserve a suspension anymore than sloane did ,
lol your comparing Sloane to Cotchin? Cotchin clearly made the decision to go through his opponent with an arm tucked, Sloane clearly was positioning himself to tackle HUGE difference, a moronic comparison perpetrated by the vic media and anyone desperate to get Cotchin off.

As for your first final I agree it shouldn't have been at Kardinia Park, I never said it should have been since Geelong have home games at the MCG. What I do think is that if Geelong should play ALL of its home games at Kardina Park in the future then any earn't home finals should be at Kardina Park until then they have no case. Nope you got the rub of the green in all of your final games but the call to have the Cats play you at the MCG was not what I was referring to. I am saying that momentum in each game was affected in each game in your favour - deliberate or not.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Well you ain't allowed to tackle and knock someone out , sloane was fortunate that danger got up with minimal effect , Cotchin was going for the ball in the contest , which he won , was incidental contact .shiel played on , was bumped again and was then spelled . There were a couple of other incidents that we were pretty lucky with

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Our players had to stand their waiting for them to play the song and they only just got it playing as we went through it. Clearly someone was asleep at the wheel.

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well you ain't allowed to tackle and knock someone out , sloane was fortunate that danger got up with minimal effect , Cotchin was going for the ball in the contest , which he won , was incidental contact .shiel played on , was bumped again and was then spelled . There were a couple of other incidents that we were pretty lucky with

Cotchin is a sniper and got off because of the VFL boys club.

NavyRedGold

Debutant
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia Flyers

e45ff6_cb3dd17d624c4cf29466a17851fc1f23~mv2.png

Back