Prediction Poll added: Who will be our highest rated 2018 Rising Star?

Who will be our highest rated player in the 2018 AFL Rising Star?

• Paddy Dow (Pick #3)

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Lochie O’Brien (Pick #10)

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Tom De Koning (Pick #30)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Angus Schumacher (Pick #70)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry McKay

Votes: 41 28.7%
  • Harrison Macreadie

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Cameron Polson

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Patrick Kerr

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
DRAFT UPDATE

Pick #3 Paddy Dow
Pick #10 Lochie O’Brien
Pick #30 Tom De Koning (TDK)
Pick #70 Angus Schumacher
Pick #78 Jarrod Garlett

Our first 4 picks are eligible for the Rising Star. Jarrod Garlett is ineligible as he is already 21.

I predict Paddy Dow, Lochie O’Brien, Harrison Macreadie and Harry McKay to receive nominations in the Rising Star, and Harry McKay to be top 5 in the award at year end.

ORIGINAL POST

I am inspired by the 'Proud of Silvagni' thread and our crop of young players.

We have Cripps, and in the last 2 years six other rising stars being Weitering, Marchbank, SPS, Cuningham, Jack and Charlie.

Players have to be under 21 on 1 January, and they must not have played more than 10 senior matches.

So that rules out Williamson (15 games), Fisher (17) and Pickett (10, but has turned 21). It also rules out Cuningham (11 matches) and yes a player can be nominated in a second year if eligible.
I think all of Williamson, Fisher and Pickett deserved nominations.

Eligible players on our list are:
- McKay
- Macreadie
- Polson, and
- Kerr.

I am starting this thread before our new trade and draft class, why not.

I think if McKay or Macreadie plays 15 games or so, they could both figure prominently in the Rising Star voting.

Last edited:

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick #3 will have the best chance. Polson after that.

Can't see the talls coming into calculation regardless of how well they may play.
McKay if he plays a number of games, averages 2 goals a game and otherwise presents / makes contests I think he could be up there. I watched him during our horrible loss to Geelong and liked what I saw. More AFL-level stamina and he is good to go.

Macreadie might have to wait longer as we have a reasonably good back 6 with stronger bodies. Looks like a really good intercepting defender and is not afraid to put his body on the line.

To get a nom, McKay will "only" need to kick a bag in a week the other potential noms are not racking up 30. But, I think he's going to have to do that every week if he's any chance of winning it.

Surely he only needs to average 2 goals per game to win the whole thing? Worked for Hogan.

McKay if he plays a number of games, averages 2 goals a game and otherwise presents / makes contests I think he could be up there. I watched him during our horrible loss to Geelong and liked what I saw. More AFL-level stamina and he is good to go.

Macreadie might have to wait longer as we have a reasonably good back 6 with stronger bodies. Looks like a really good intercepting defender and is not afraid to put his body on the line.

If McKay had have stayed at his drafted height of 200cm and grown out, he may have had a chance.
The fact he's grown to 204/5cm, along with having back issue and still being rather skinny.......he'll take time.

Not to say he can't make an impact but it's going to be tough for a 204/5cm 20y.o. KPF, to really stand out, over a period of time.

BringBackSimmo

(Previously BringBackSOS)
Jul 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
If McKay had have stayed at his drafted height of 200cm and grown out, he may have had a chance.
The fact he's grown to 204/5cm, along with having back issue and still being rather skinny.......he'll take time.

Not to say he can't make an impact but it's going to be tough for a 204/5cm 20y.o. KPF, to really stand out, over a period of time.

Isn't Eric Hipwood a similar size, he seems to have made an impact already for the lions, though i guess doesn't have a back issue to hinder him.

Isn't Eric Hipwood a similar size, he seems to have made an impact already for the lions, though i guess doesn't have a back issue to hinder him.

Hipwood didn't have the growth spurt McKay had over the past 12-18 months, but yes, your point is valid.

Hipwood has that little extra speed, but not a lot extra. Harry is quick and can separate with ease.

Both those guys though need plenty more core strength. That's currently Harry's biggest issue. Gets pushed out of the contest too easily.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Hipwood didn't have the growth spurt McKay had over the past 12-18 months, but yes, your point is valid.

Hipwood has that little extra speed, but not a lot extra. Harry is quick and can separate with ease.

Both those guys though need plenty more core strength. That's currently Harry's biggest issue. Gets pushed out of the contest too easily.

Do you see McKay along the FF line or possible CHF role (assuming if Kerr comes on it may be FF type role?)?

Hipwood seems to be more a CHF player.

To get a nom, McKay will "only" need to kick a bag in a week the other potential noms are not racking up 30. But, I think he's going to have to do that every week if he's any chance of winning it.

I agree. McKay probably just needs to kick a bag of 3..with a nice mark or two and he should be fine

Though it depends on any feel good stories are being pushed any given weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Hopefully he's pretty fired up watching his teammates from his draft class and even the class of 2016 get significant gametime as 1st and 2nd year players.

Kicked some very classy goals in his few games this year.

Happy with nominations, doubt one of our players will win one while we are anchored to the bottom.

We simply don't have a 'story' as a club. The media loves a narrative

Back