Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Kennedy is a huge get for us and will be in our best 22. The kid is going to be another Docherty 'type of get' for us. He is strong overhead as well as inside, while can also deliver reasonable well on the outside. Lacks little pace that is it, but a perfect backup/support for Cripps. I'm rapt and hope SOS can get him reasonably cheaply.

I'm starting to wonder why we keep getting passed up by players like Rockliff , Smith are we not prepared to pay too much or are we crappy at selling the club to others?

Our main 'attainable' target last year was Marchbank. Got him.
Our main 'attainable' target this year was Kennedy. Got him too.

We sort of want everyone our name gets attached to, but it's just not possible.....correction; It may be possible but it's not practical.

I'm starting to wonder why we keep getting passed up by players like Rockliff , Smith are we not prepared to pay too much or are we crappy at selling the club to others?
we never wanted them - sometimes sos tinkers just to keep us entertained

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
This year is starting to look leaner trade wise........

As usual all the good players dont want Carlton......Rockliff,D.Smith,Saad......!!!!

Best value of this group is.....Saad.

Smith with dodgy Pcl may struggle next season,Rockliffe might be pretty dear and not fit in -it doesnt make sense so probably SOS said too dear?

Kennedy has to be done at a good rate.....we need him as an inside mid and his age is better than the more experienced and some injured above players.He can become another Cripps type,hard at the ball.

Apparenty we might be getting Shaw from Suns......HBF depth player?......he is a worker and possibly unrrated and may play better back home.
Shaw could also be a northern playernext year. Just like O'Shea last year.

Laurence

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Dont look too much into it.. Both players have question marks.. the fact a highly rated kid has picked Carlton is a win.

As supporters, we know where the club is at and can accept it. A poor year by both Port & *, surely raises questions on where their lists are at.

We are a destination club... for the right players

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Rockliff one can understand coming from an unsuccessful club chose Port as more likely to be successful / playing finals sooner.

Smith is reported to have accepted an offer of $550k a season at *. Maybe based on his injury history / medical we were not prepared to pay that.

Saad I just don't know. We could get a deal done I guess if we wanted him and he chose us. The story doesn't fully check out for me. He has a year to go on a 2 years contract and wants out at this stage because of a lack of family and support networks over Ramadan.

Balic another poster says we might have baulked as the go home sooking / parents factor was unattractive.

There is Kennedy and I think SOS has other things in the pipeline. Unlike the Rogers years, SOS runs a tight ship and doesn't telegraph his moves.

11. Matthew Kennedy

Ht - 187 Wt – 88

I understand what the fuss is about but I have him lower than most because I have seen very little of him and what I have makes me worry about whether his kicking will stand up in AFL company. There is a lot to like but his kicking is a significant concern for me.

He played 5 TAC games and had a DE% of 58.6% over those games. This was a bit better in the Allies match when he went at 71.4%. Hopefully that is a sign he has been working on his kicking and he did look a bit better technically in the Allies match. Kennedy is a country boy who has only spent significant time in an elite program this year. When he gets in an AFL environment there will be a few things to polish up and his kicking technique is the first thing that will be getting attention. At the moment he pulls his hands away from the ball a bit violently and too highly and often goes with an around the body kick. This leads to a fair bit of inconsistency with his kicking. When he lines things up his kicking looks okay but there is still a fair bit of variability in the way his kick comes together. He also has some variability in his set shot and tends to fall away a bit and this can result in the ball not coming off the boot well.

On the positive side Kennedy reminds me a lot of Jimmy Bartel the way he plays the game. He is a very good onballer who can win his own ball and be a dominant force around the ball. Like Bartel he can also go forward and be a force with his great marking ability. With his posture he often looks shorter than he is but when he is in a marking contest he actually plays taller than he is and is a very difficult match up for anyone his height. He has pretty good height for a midfielder at 187 and has a very good leap. He was in the top ten for the vertical jump off either foot at the Combine. He also times his jump at the ball very well and can take it at the top of his leap. He has a really nice stretch and his hands are excellent. Hehas a big body and is difficult to get around. Like Bartel he does really nicely keeping his opponent positioned behind him and not allowing him to get around to spoil. He is not particularly quick but he seems able to get separation when up forward.

Before the Champs I was discussing the NSW side with a recruiter and he said he thought they probably had the best midfield of any team at the Champs, Div 1 included. That was before both Mills and Kennedy went down. Mills, Kennedy and Hopper would have been a very formidable trio but unfortunately injury struck down two of the three. Kennedy missed about three months in the middle of the year with a knee injury before retuning late and playing in the Allies match. When he is onball he has great strength and composure and can be a real bull in there. He can be a little rushed by foot but he does get out some really nice handballs. He gets good penetration with his handballs.

Despite the knee issues that Kennedy had he still tested at the Combine and did pretty well. As mentioned he tested in the top 10% in the jumps and he ended up 6th overall in the beep test with a 14.8. His 3km time was also good and he was (somewhat surprisingly) near the top in the goal kicking test with only one miss. His pace was the only real question to remain with him testing in the bottom half of those tested in the speed tests. He was not as slow as those in the Keays bracket but he was slower than is ideal for a top mid. Overall I thought his testing was good and certainly showed enough to work with.

Kennedy is from Wagga Wagga and for the couple of years prior to this one had spent most of his time playing locally with his brothers for Collinguilie. It is fair to assume that there is a lot of improvement left in him when he gets into a full time environment. Given that he already is a very good player I think GWS would be foolish to pass him up.

Quigley's write-up on Kennedy

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton

Bolts requires things like: hard work, team first, respect, honesty, accountability, every player is a learner, etc.
Is it possible that "players like Rockliff" avoid us, perhaps sensing that they won't adjust well to Bolts' requirements? It's human nature to want to avoid situations we know will make us uncomfortable.
A player like Rocky might feel he has nothing more to learn and will want to do it his way.
Therefore no loss, I say.

On the other hand we've had players come to our club in part because they want to work with Bolts. These are the players we want.

Last edited:

RoyalBlues

70 72 79 81 82 87 95 24
Oct 8, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I guess as our club markets, it’s the journey, not the destination in 2017 (and ‘18). I think it’s starting to emerge that the Blues will be a destination in late 2019 - perhaps even for a player who remains at a club for two more years. Adding two more mids this year via drafting and shrewd trades like the Menzel and Yarran ones in the recent past is the way we’ll go: could be a couple of surprises next week: we need 2020 vision though!!

DavidTeague2005

Debutant
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
11. Matthew Kennedy

Ht - 187 Wt – 88

I understand what the fuss is about but I have him lower than most because I have seen very little of him and what I have makes me worry about whether his kicking will stand up in AFL company. There is a lot to like but his kicking is a significant concern for me.

He played 5 TAC games and had a DE% of 58.6% over those games. This was a bit better in the Allies match when he went at 71.4%. Hopefully that is a sign he has been working on his kicking and he did look a bit better technically in the Allies match. Kennedy is a country boy who has only spent significant time in an elite program this year. When he gets in an AFL environment there will be a few things to polish up and his kicking technique is the first thing that will be getting attention. At the moment he pulls his hands away from the ball a bit violently and too highly and often goes with an around the body kick. This leads to a fair bit of inconsistency with his kicking. When he lines things up his kicking looks okay but there is still a fair bit of variability in the way his kick comes together. He also has some variability in his set shot and tends to fall away a bit and this can result in the ball not coming off the boot well.

On the positive side Kennedy reminds me a lot of Jimmy Bartel the way he plays the game. He is a very good onballer who can win his own ball and be a dominant force around the ball. Like Bartel he can also go forward and be a force with his great marking ability. With his posture he often looks shorter than he is but when he is in a marking contest he actually plays taller than he is and is a very difficult match up for anyone his height. He has pretty good height for a midfielder at 187 and has a very good leap. He was in the top ten for the vertical jump off either foot at the Combine. He also times his jump at the ball very well and can take it at the top of his leap. He has a really nice stretch and his hands are excellent. Hehas a big body and is difficult to get around. Like Bartel he does really nicely keeping his opponent positioned behind him and not allowing him to get around to spoil. He is not particularly quick but he seems able to get separation when up forward.

Before the Champs I was discussing the NSW side with a recruiter and he said he thought they probably had the best midfield of any team at the Champs, Div 1 included. That was before both Mills and Kennedy went down. Mills, Kennedy and Hopper would have been a very formidable trio but unfortunately injury struck down two of the three. Kennedy missed about three months in the middle of the year with a knee injury before retuning late and playing in the Allies match. When he is onball he has great strength and composure and can be a real bull in there. He can be a little rushed by foot but he does get out some really nice handballs. He gets good penetration with his handballs.

Despite the knee issues that Kennedy had he still tested at the Combine and did pretty well. As mentioned he tested in the top 10% in the jumps and he ended up 6th overall in the beep test with a 14.8. His 3km time was also good and he was (somewhat surprisingly) near the top in the goal kicking test with only one miss. His pace was the only real question to remain with him testing in the bottom half of those tested in the speed tests. He was not as slow as those in the Keays bracket but he was slower than is ideal for a top mid. Overall I thought his testing was good and certainly showed enough to work with.

Kennedy is from Wagga Wagga and for the couple of years prior to this one had spent most of his time playing locally with his brothers for Collinguilie. It is fair to assume that there is a lot of improvement left in him when he gets into a full time environment. Given that he already is a very good player I think GWS would be foolish to pass him up.

Quigley's write-up on Kennedy

Sounds like a spitting image of Cripps, with a fair bit of potential upside. Will be interesting to see if he is in our best 22 Round 1 with Curnow & Cripps back in. Maybe he starts off half-back, alternating with Williamson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the very limited times I saw him play, it looked like he did that a few times at GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

95bluemember

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I've heard that they were waiting on Ayres to become Suns coach, as they wanted to work under him.
I can only pass on what I was told about Gary, and I was told by people VERY close to him , the suns HAVE spoken to Gary, it obviously now wasn't about the senior role, by the way is Barker still an assistant with us, that's right he is!

95bluemember

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

We sort of want everyone our name gets attached to, but it's just not possible.....correction; It may be possible but it's not practical.
Best explanation yet, I guess we get linked with all sorts of players

HaydossJ

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Rockliff one can understand coming from an unsuccessful club chose Port as more likely to be successful / playing finals sooner.

Smith is reported to have accepted an offer of $550k a season at *. Maybe based on his injury history / medical we were not prepared to pay that.

Saad I just don't know. We could get a deal done I guess if we wanted him and he chose us. The story doesn't fully check out for me. He has a year to go on a 2 years contract and wants out at this stage because of a lack of family and support networks over Ramadan.

Balic another poster says we might have baulked as the go home sooking / parents factor was unattractive.

There is Kennedy and I think SOS has other things in the pipeline. Unlike the Rogers years, SOS runs a tight ship and doesn't telegraph his moves.

We as supporters have no idea what we offered Smith or Rockliff. If we offered Rockliff $800,000 a year then he most certainly would have picked us. But we didn't, because SOS has a plan and will not stray away from it. We're not in a position to be paying blokes like Rockliff absurds amounts of money when we have Weitering, Docherty, Curnow, Cripps, SPS, and Marchbank who will all demand over $600,000 a season shortly.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Greg Wells, Frank Marchesani, David Rhys-Jones, Greg Williams and Chris Judd. Big trades are few and far between.

Only seems liked yesterday Ashman was going to the Dogs.. ha ha

How long did he stand out for ? I was too young to even understand or know at the time, what was going on.

Was our main target Kennedy? Thought it was Kelly.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
We as supporters have no idea what we offered Smith or Rockliff.

If we offered Rockliff $800,000 a year then he most certainly would have picked us. But we didn't, because SOS has a plan and will not stray away from it. We're not in a position to be paying blokes like Rockliff absurds amounts of money when we have Weitering, Docherty, Curnow, Cripps, SPS, and Marchbank who will all demand over $600,000 a season shortly.
The first and second parts of your post don't match up.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Kennedy is a nice pick up and he'll be an upgrade on Graham and Thomas in the 22.

I watched him pre draft and since then and you could say he hasn't fulfiled his potential yet. Debut game was off the charts but didn't track as well in 2017.

He is a quality character though and will bring good spirit in the absence of Dyl Bucks.

Mind you, we hadn't heard much about Doc when he came over and he's now the prototype Carlton man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back